+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, ROFL in General; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7149931.stm And you wanna go on a train or fly in a plane operated by this outfit?...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

ROFL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7149931.stm

And you wanna go on a train or fly in a plane operated by this outfit?

Thank Post

Re: ROFL

Well they're only the same company in name, Virgin Media is essentially still NTL, who have always been a bit useless. To be fair though, outages are fairly rare

Mine was off for about 3 hours last night

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ROFL.... Sounds like one of microsofts routine maintenance procedures to me... after its complete problems have arrose everywhere

hehe made me laugh though i aint on virgin though so i'm all gd

James

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder
    Well they're only the same company in name, Virgin Media is essentially still NTL, who have always been a bit useless. To be fair though, outages are fairly rare

Mine was off for about 3 hours last night
    Yikes!

Thank Post

To be fair to NTL/Virgin (although I did loose mine last night) it is only the third glitch I've had in two years. One crossed line, a lost connection to Germany, and whatever went down last night. BT? Don't get me started... Why do you think I'm with Mr B's company?

Thank Post

My virgin was out last night and didn't come back on until about 9AM.

When my broadband was supplied by Blueyonder it was fine...since the move to Virgin it's been getting slower and slower and throttling speed and it's just rediculous now.

If I would afford to get a BT line installed at my house (my one at uni) I'd have ADSL because it's just rediculous now. I'm meant to be on 20meg, and whilst I don't expect anywhere near that, I expect better than what I get on my mother's 2meg line!

Thank Post

I didn't loose my broadband, but I did loose all my interactive services on the TV box, which also uses their IP network so I expect it was the same outage that was affecting that.

Like any communications network, it's going to break from time to time, generally I'm very pleased with the service I get from them, and it definitely has improved from when it was Telewest in my area. With Telewest I'd get constant problems with the interactive services, with virgin it only happens now and then, which I can live with.

Their broadband speed is awesome most of the time, except when they get tetchy with us for downloading too much when they limit it a bit, which is fair because there are 4 of us living here, and almost always one of us is downloading something big.

Mike.

Thank Post

C'mon - outages due to routine maintenance are common place where i work

telewest/NTL/Virgin have had that much choppin and changin going on recently I'm suprised it all works at all

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic
    My virgin was out last night and didn't come back on until about 9AM.
    Oo-err missus!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries

This seems to be a problem that happen to any ISP who has underwent any form of consolidation of infrastructure. Reducing the number of routers and dhcp servers is obviously a bad idea, as there will be occasions when the entire lot will suddenly request a new IP (like at the beginning of term in September when every computer in a school suddenly wants a new IP).

I can imagine other ISP's having the same problem sometime in the future.

Also, on the point of BT - the internet connection is nice and stable as far as I can see. It is the useless homehub that is the problem. To stablise it you have to turn the built in firewall off. :S

Thank Post

Tut tut webman. I see you're filling in for Jake?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yes, he's left full instructions

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

Been with Virgin since the days of Windsor Cable - anyone remember them ?
    Bring back Wire TV & Screen Sport....

Anyway I have to say that since Virgin took over Telewest / NTL the service is nothing more than a complete and utter sh1t.

I had to move house for 6 months last year because my house had subsidence - the switch over to the new house took them over a week to sort.
    Then the switch back after we moved back was a joke too. Took them a few days and even then the only thing that worked was the TV, I had NO phone and no broadband for a week. When the phone finally came back, the call back did not work and nor did the call divert.
    Like I said - complete and utter sh1t.

Virgin have now lost some of the sky channels, they have put up phone charges, my broadband is up and down more times than a whore's knickers. They even have the nerve to charge when you phone them to report a problem with their broadband. They have also started to throttle IP traffic. One of their mail servers a few weeks ago was flagged as a spam sender so none of my mail would get anywhere - I filled in a support call / form for them and they did NOTHING - [ no surprise there really ]

So look up 'Virgin Media' in the dictionary and you will see a picture of massive pile of sh1t. [ Funnily enough they are between the Sophos and Apple entry ]

Now I have had a large ash tree removed from my real garden I may get a signal for sky - so unless Virgin improve within the next 6 months or so, I'll happily dump them. Branson should stick to planes or trying to get round the planet in another craft.....

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    Been with Virgin since the days of Windsor Cable - anyone remember them ?
    Bring back Wire TV & Screen Sport....

Anyway I have to say that since Virgin took over Telewest / NTL the service is nothing more than a complete and utter sh1t.

I had to move house for 6 months last year because my house had subsidence - the switch over to the new house took them over a week to sort.
    Then the switch back after we moved back was a joke too. Took them a few days and even then the only thing that worked was the TV, I had NO phone and no broadband for a week. When the phone finally came back, the call back did not work and nor did the call divert.
    Like I said - complete and utter sh1t.

Virgin have now lost some of the sky channels, they have put up phone charges, my broadband is up and down more times than a whore's knickers. They even have the nerve to charge when you phone them to report a problem with their broadband. They have also started to throttle IP traffic. One of their mail servers a few weeks ago was flagged as a spam sender so none of my mail would get anywhere - I filled in a support call / form for them and they did NOTHING - [ no surprise there really ]

So look up 'Virgin Media' in the dictionary and you will see a picture of massive pile of sh1t. [ Funnily enough they are between the Sophos and Apple entry ]

Now I have had a large ash tree removed from my real garden I may get a signal for sky - so unless Virgin improve within the next 6 months or so, I'll happily dump them. Branson should stick to planes or trying to get round the planet in another craft.....
    HAH! A WEEK ?? thas nothing, i've been waiting nearly a month for them just to activate my phone, reason being there's not enough capacity in my street (not enough clips in the cabinet, whatever that means). So we're in the ludicrous situation of waiting for someone else using the same cabinet to decide they no longer want their virgin service. Shouldn't have to wait too much longer eh readers ?

Same situation as you, cost me over 10 quid in mobile phone charges to phone their activation line (advise to beardy branson: ever thought people want a phone because they don't currently have an active BT line, so why the bloody 0800 and 0845 numbers just to ring your activation and support lines).

They're trained phone chimps promised to credt my next bill with the amounts, but lo and behold i get a letter in the post advising the dd will withdraw 23 pounds for the first months service from my bank account!!!!!.

I haven't signed the contract and am intending to terminate the package i ordered (phone+broadband) this week. What's the best way to go about terminating ? and should i also cancel my direct debit at the same time.

Virgin is shit, might go with the PO for phone service and later broadband....beardy branson should have stuck to being a record store hippy, the only good things about his empire are the hot cheese and mushroom rolls on his pendolino trains and that spaceship concept of his.
    Everything else is sh1t. Ever get the feeling the wrong multi-millionaire ballonist went missing ?

Thank Post

Hopefully, in time, they'll get used to the merger and virgin will sort themselves out. Their network can't support the load so in my humble opinion, they don't really have the right to go offering 20meg.

But of course, as they were discussing on the gadget show the other night, there's the issue of wording...they have their lovely get out clause of "up to 20meg." They should consider a wording change.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information