+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, The great BGFL has blocked every download can you rehost please thread... in General; Getting sick of it now! Can someone please re-host DropboxPortable please? http://dbpahk.kingofcomedy.de/beta/D..._1682_beta.zip...

Thank Post

The great BGFL has blocked every download can you rehost please thread...

Getting sick of it now!

Can someone please re-host DropboxPortable please?
    http://dbpahk.kingofcomedy.de/beta/D..._1682_beta.zip

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    If you want a quick fix, tether your phone to your notebook and download it that way. At least you can host it internally once you've downloaded it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If you want a quick fix, tether your phone to your notebook and download it that way. At least you can host it internally once you've downloaded it!
    This, so much of my data is used getting round filtering. Android (vanilla at least) has a portable hot spot built in so its just a matter of swapping wireless network.

Thank Post
    I think the problem with 'some' file hosting sites is they do host good content and bad content, so blocking the root URL is easier, but then it locks out all the good stuff.

It's unclear whether in future we'll be able to unblock websites on a page by page basis, rather than the whole site.

rad
    Thank Post
    @CHR1S
    If you still need this send me a PM and I'll send a link over.

6. Thanks to rad from:

CHR1S (3rd June 2014)

Thank Post
    I think the problem with 'some' file hosting sites is they do host good content and bad content, so blocking the root URL is easier, but then it locks out all the good stuff.

It's unclear whether in future we'll be able to unblock websites on a page by page basis, rather than the whole site.
    So it is exactly the same as when I had dealings with the BGFL 10 years ago.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    So it is exactly the same as when I had dealings with the BGFL 10 years ago.
    Yes unfortunately filtering 'options' haven't evolved over the last 10 years, unless you include some of the options Policy Central gives you. Overall the filtering is good, but there are better solutions out there.

The million dollar question is how much longer are schools going to have to wait for advanced filtering services? Even with all the new upcoming developments, there's still no talk of filtering school devices in and out of school which I think will start to become more crucial, if not already an issue.

I've been quite open and offered constructive criticism directly to the BGfL, so they know my thoughts and the many people I represent day to day. As to whether they're listening, time will tell, but potentially (at this rate) it'll be 12 months the firewall went in and absolutely zero improvements or additional features offered to all schools.

9. Thanks to Michael from:

CHR1S (3rd June 2014)

Thank Post
    Yes unfortunately filtering 'options' haven't evolved over the last 10 years, unless you include some of the options Policy Central gives you. Overall the filtering is good, but there are better solutions out there.

The million dollar question is how much longer are schools going to have to wait for advanced filtering services? Even with all the new upcoming developments, there's still no talk of filtering school devices in and out of school which I think will start to become more crucial, if not already an issue.

I've been quite open and offered constructive criticism directly to the BGfL, so they know my thoughts and the many people I represent day to day. As to whether they're listening, time will tell, but potentially (at this rate) it'll be 12 months the firewall went in and absolutely zero improvements or additional features offered to all schools.
    Possibly a little harsh but I know where you are coming from. They have made changes over Easter that (I believe) relates to transparent proxy and communication has been better. So they are listening.

Thank Post
    It depends how you interpret what I'm saying, but this is what the people I work with are telling me. Transparent proxies for example should have been introduced years ago in my opinion, but more crucially I asked for it years ago and was told 'no' to every possible solution, rather than 'yes, we'll consider it and get back to you with a definitive answer'. It's a totally different way of working.

Thank Post
    I've setup an Edugeek area on my server - PM me for links and passwords though
    At moment its download only - but may look at getting ftp working on it if needed

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread