+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
General Chat Thread, The great BGFL has blocked every download can you rehost please thread... in General; Getting sick of it now! Can someone please re-host DropboxPortable please? http://dbpahk.kingofcomedy.de/beta/D..._1682_beta.zip...
  1. #1

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,489
    Thank Post
    1,575
    Thanked 479 Times in 302 Posts
    Rep Power
    215

    The great BGFL has blocked every download can you rehost please thread...

    Getting sick of it now!

    Can someone please re-host DropboxPortable please?
    http://dbpahk.kingofcomedy.de/beta/D..._1682_beta.zip

  2. #2

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    If you want a quick fix, tether your phone to your notebook and download it that way. At least you can host it internally once you've downloaded it!

  3. #3
    Arcath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    972
    Thank Post
    102
    Thanked 116 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If you want a quick fix, tether your phone to your notebook and download it that way. At least you can host it internally once you've downloaded it!
    This, so much of my data is used getting round filtering. Android (vanilla at least) has a portable hot spot built in so its just a matter of swapping wireless network.

  4. #4

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    I think the problem with 'some' file hosting sites is they do host good content and bad content, so blocking the root URL is easier, but then it locks out all the good stuff.

    It's unclear whether in future we'll be able to unblock websites on a page by page basis, rather than the whole site.

  5. #5
    rad
    rad is offline
    rad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    2,474
    Thank Post
    334
    Thanked 308 Times in 236 Posts
    Rep Power
    109
    @CHR1S
    If you still need this send me a PM and I'll send a link over.

  6. Thanks to rad from:

    CHR1S (3rd June 2014)

  7. #6

    unixman_again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    695
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 138 Times in 105 Posts
    Rep Power
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I think the problem with 'some' file hosting sites is they do host good content and bad content, so blocking the root URL is easier, but then it locks out all the good stuff.

    It's unclear whether in future we'll be able to unblock websites on a page by page basis, rather than the whole site.
    So it is exactly the same as when I had dealings with the BGFL 10 years ago.

  8. #7

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    So it is exactly the same as when I had dealings with the BGFL 10 years ago.
    Yes unfortunately filtering 'options' haven't evolved over the last 10 years, unless you include some of the options Policy Central gives you. Overall the filtering is good, but there are better solutions out there.

    The million dollar question is how much longer are schools going to have to wait for advanced filtering services? Even with all the new upcoming developments, there's still no talk of filtering school devices in and out of school which I think will start to become more crucial, if not already an issue.

    I've been quite open and offered constructive criticism directly to the BGfL, so they know my thoughts and the many people I represent day to day. As to whether they're listening, time will tell, but potentially (at this rate) it'll be 12 months the firewall went in and absolutely zero improvements or additional features offered to all schools.

  9. Thanks to Michael from:

    CHR1S (3rd June 2014)

  10. #8
    foofighterjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    394
    Thank Post
    30
    Thanked 70 Times in 52 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Yes unfortunately filtering 'options' haven't evolved over the last 10 years, unless you include some of the options Policy Central gives you. Overall the filtering is good, but there are better solutions out there.

    The million dollar question is how much longer are schools going to have to wait for advanced filtering services? Even with all the new upcoming developments, there's still no talk of filtering school devices in and out of school which I think will start to become more crucial, if not already an issue.

    I've been quite open and offered constructive criticism directly to the BGfL, so they know my thoughts and the many people I represent day to day. As to whether they're listening, time will tell, but potentially (at this rate) it'll be 12 months the firewall went in and absolutely zero improvements or additional features offered to all schools.
    Possibly a little harsh but I know where you are coming from. They have made changes over Easter that (I believe) relates to transparent proxy and communication has been better. So they are listening.

  11. #9

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    It depends how you interpret what I'm saying, but this is what the people I work with are telling me. Transparent proxies for example should have been introduced years ago in my opinion, but more crucially I asked for it years ago and was told 'no' to every possible solution, rather than 'yes, we'll consider it and get back to you with a definitive answer'. It's a totally different way of working.

  12. #10

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,658
    Thank Post
    858
    Thanked 646 Times in 429 Posts
    Rep Power
    498
    I've setup an Edugeek area on my server - PM me for links and passwords though
    At moment its download only - but may look at getting ftp working on it if needed

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2nd April 2011, 09:19 PM
  2. women... the great mystery!
    By StewartKnight in forum General Chat
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 21st June 2007, 10:59 AM
  3. Can you run the KS3 Test server stuff on an XP machine?
    By RoyG in forum ICT KS3 SATS Tests
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19th April 2007, 12:44 AM
  4. Can you point me in the direction of..
    By saundersmatt in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th September 2006, 07:42 AM
  5. The Great EduGeek T-Shirt competition of 2006 (Prizes kindly
    By russdev in forum General EduGeek News/Announcements
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 16th February 2006, 10:26 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •