+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Home Internet usage. in General; I'm looking to move ISP, I'm currently on EE (Orange broadband) and I'm looking to move to fibre, which is ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Home Internet usage.

I'm looking to move ISP, I'm currently on EE (Orange broadband) and I'm looking to move to fibre, which is pretty limited for suppliers in my area :-(

Out of interest I emailed EE asking my monthly usage. I do this each time even though I know I'll always need unlimited.

This time was a BIG shock.

Last month I used 1,115.77GB!

Just for some clarity, I don't torrent, I do stream Netflix, lots of YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, auto backup photos from 2 phones and tablets, mine and the wife's. BBC iplayer, 4od, sky go, and sometimes steam music from sites like grooveshark. I also work from home on an evening and download iso from time to time.

We have 2 smart phones, 2 tablets, 1 laptop, a smart TV and an Xbox.

We don't tend to watch much live TV as it doesn't fit with our schedules but we catch up on it all.

They can only supply this month and last data which I think stupid as I've had older data from other suppliers but hey...

I blown away by the amount we used as I've not had a value for over 2 years which was a lot lower then.

EE suggested in the reply that I can monitor my own usage through software on a pc, which is probably my lowest use device! Pointless...

What's the most anyone else has used? Is this excessive in this day and age?

Thank Post
    Streaming is your issue, though if you don't have a network cap, you're fine

EE do have a fibre package though. I get unlimited usage, no throttling, 40MB for £30 per month. They seem pretty keen to give out discounts £5 if someone in the house's phone is with EE, loyal customer discounts, etc) so it's worth asking them about an upgrade, see what you can get.

As for the most we've used here.. Probably about 40GB in 2 days. But that was when we upgraded 3 PC's and re-downloaded TF2 on them all, which was, I think 11GB at the time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I already get a discount from ee as we have 2 mobiles and home phone with them. Ee do traffic shape but nothing that affects me.

Thank Post
    That seems high - without doubt well above average. At my school, we average less than a terabyte a week I think. You're pushing a quarter of that over standard ADSL? Glad I'm not on your exchange! :-)

At home we have quite a few more devices, but don't do as much streaming as you. I'm interested to more closely monitor my usage now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes over ADSL :-)

Thank Post
    I currently use sky, unlimited fibre at 40mb for £15 PCM as I agreed to go with them for 2 years.

I hammer the usage, almost everything is streamed in our house on multiple devices, iTunes Match also on 5 devices, now tv, netflix, iplayer etc.

Sky don't limit and the one time I had an issue with the line (BT bloke stud outside cab on road) I complained on their forum, they got back to me in seconds and had BT back out and the issue fixed in 2 hours.

They even issued me a credit for the problem.

We also have a few people on our street so I know the contention is high but the lowest speed I've ever clocked is about 28mbps which is more than enough, I live quite far from the exchange so I if I weren't on fibre I'd be on 512kbps.

All I can say is there very good, I do have experience with BT at work and that has no issues on their 80mbps product, but when I have issues with that I dread the phone call and the following scripts for half an hour until they acknowledge there is an issue.

7. Thanks to wardsidjame from:

Marshall_IT (1st June 2014)

Thank Post
    I have just moved from aol (yes laugh) to plusnet unlimited. Pay around £22 a month for unlimited broadband and in the first month used around 350Gb, which i thought was a lot until you told us about your usage. Have to say Plusnet are brilliant and if you ever have a problem the english call centre is an added bonus when asking for help.

9. Thanks to Shadow_Walker from:

Marshall_IT (1st June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I had zen adsl when i had my own flat, my peak was about 150gb/month.

Look at zens fibre products, bloody good service too!

Thank Post
    Zen, Sky, Plus net all good reps, plus net have got some good deals on at the minute.

Our leased line is Zen and never has issues, you do pay a little more for the service though but it is good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wardsidjame View Post
    Zen, Sky, Plus net all good reps, plus net have got some good deals on at the minute.

Our leased line is Zen and never has issues, you do pay a little more for the service though but it is good.
    When it comes for renewals i think you will be surprised, i work for a zen partner and they are consitently beating BT's equivelent at the moment on price.

Thank Post
    I'm with PlusNet and just looked at my useage on the portal, with 3 of us using it, a few phones and iPad's we sit around the 55Gb mark, 60 is the fair usage policy limit before you are capped speed wise, for a few gig after midnight when its free usage so your total does seem a little high, all we do is web browse and the odd but of iPlayer, YouTube and SkyCatch up.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread