+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Just got interviewed... in General; Hi guys, got interviewed today for the job I've been doing the last 2 1/2 years! Bit of a joke ...
    Thank Post

Just got interviewed...

Hi guys, got interviewed today for the job I've been doing the last 2 1/2 years! Bit of a joke really when I've been the IT tech so long to have to go through the formality of applying and an interview.

I didn't think I did too great in the interview myself but feedback said I did well on most of the questions considering it was really my first proper formal interview. It was rather intimidating being interviewed by 3 people I see on a day to day basis and I am joking with under normal circumstances. Funny really. Anyway, I got the job Should tide me over for a year until I've finished studying for a few things and have moved down south. Gone from 7.5k to 11.5k which is a nice rise, but still its peanuts really. Just thought I'd share my 'happiness' with you all :P

Rob.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Just got interviewed...

So what is your new title?

Z

Thank Post

IT Technician still. I came into the school as an 'apprentice'. Had to do everything myself basically and knew more than anyone else from the go! It's been rubbish really working for what little I used to, but this should make things that bit easier.

Rob.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Oh right, well done mate enjoy the job.

Z

Thank Post

Thanks. It won't be ANY different from what I've been doing, other than more money really. Which is fine by me.

Rob.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate
    Hi guys, got interviewed today for the job I've been doing the last 2 1/2 years! Bit of a joke really when I've been the IT tech so long to have to go through the formality of applying and an interview.

I didn't think I did too great in the interview myself but feedback said I did well on most of the questions considering it was really my first proper formal interview. It was rather intimidating being interviewed by 3 people I see on a day to day basis and I am joking with under normal circumstances. Funny really. Anyway, I got the job Should tide me over for a year until I've finished studying for a few things and have moved down south. Gone from 7.5k to 11.5k which is a nice rise, but still its peanuts really. Just thought I'd share my 'happiness' with you all :P

Rob.
    7.5K ???!!!! That's appalling, please tell me that was part-time 3 days a week or less than 30 hrs a week term-time only.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

How old are you?

Z

Thank Post

Nope. 30 Hours a week 5 days a week, term time only. With 30 minutes for lunch, which was never really lunch as I'm always needed for something!

I'm 20 now.

Rob.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ok just curious.

Z

Thank Post

Were they getting away with that for so long as you were taken on as an apprentice? I assume that you have been working directly under a Network manager or something then?

Thank Post

Yes I was taken on as an apprentice, my first year I was on £80 a week. Then the second year moved up to the 7.5k Pro rata.

No, I am the only IT minded person the school has had other than IT Co-ords. The network is managed by a third party (RM), but even with this I still had a lot to learn by myself. No passwords/usernames or any information had been kept safe regarding anything! A lot of the hardware was in need of attention, people just didn't have the time to liaise with RM. I used to hear of others that were doing my college course saying they never had anything to do at their placement (all schools with managed networks) but I am always busy! The school has always said they'd be lost without me now.

Rob.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate
    Nope. 30 Hours a week 5 days a week, term time only. With 30 minutes for lunch, which was never really lunch as I'm always needed for something!

I'm 20 now.

Rob.
    that works out to just over 5 pounds an hour. A part-time job in a supermarket stacking shelves would pay better. 11.5K is an improvement, but to put 11.5K in perspective, I was being paid that for my first job in IT back in 2001 !!! And they gave me a mobile phone and use of pool car on occasions, even though I wasn't a permanent member of staff and was therefore by far the lowest paid member of staff in our dept.

At 20 you really shouldn't stay in this job for more than a year, unless they offer you a 50% pay rise.

Thank Post

Hmm I still think that you should have been working under someone who was going to teach you the necessary skills for you to be an apprentice. I mean thats the whole point who are you apprenticing (*sp and is that even a word? ) Still I hear what you are saying managed service and all and no need for 2 people but still. Also after 2 years of loyal service I would have thought they would have offered more money.
    The job has done you good though i suppose and got you valuable experience. At least you are setup for moving on some time .

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Cool well done mate! You must of been lucky then hehe if your 20 now and u have been there for 2 and 1/2 years then that means you were roughly my age when you started... all i want to do is somthing like that "Apprentice" just to get some more experience behind me and actually do somthing with what i know instead of doing nothing unless i get a call of a community centre or somthing.. owell something will come my way soon hopfully

but well done.. Curious what studys are you doing at the moment?

regards

James

Thank Post

Before some of the memories fade I suggest you take some time over the Christmas break to write down exactly what you did, what you had to learn and how you handles tricky situations without a manager over you (to whom you were supposedly apprenticed). Then put it away somewhere safe for when you need to write up a cv.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information