+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, 1080p or 1440p in General; Originally Posted by sonofsanta The manufacturer's website explicitly states that the monitor supports it Maybe it's just Dell then? I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    The manufacturer's website explicitly states that the monitor supports it
    Maybe it's just Dell then?

I can't think of any reason why they would intentionally limit the HDMI 1.4 ports to 1080p. It doesn't make any sense!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Maybe it's just Dell then?

I can't think of any reason why they would intentionally limit the HDMI 1.4 ports to 1080p. It doesn't make any sense!
    Not just Dell - the Digimate that @Zoom7000 originally bought is the same, we're using them with DisplayPort to get the full res. One of the AOC's is arriving here on Monday (replacement for a DGM that had an iffy backlight, and they're out of stock so we're being sent a different model under warranty) so I can always test the HDMI resolution if anyone needs.

Thank Post
    I've got the Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI. The graphic specs are:

Integrated Graphics Processor:

1 x DVI-I port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200
    2 x HDMI ports, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
    * Support for HDMI 1.4a version.
    Support for up to 3 displays at the same time
    * To set up a triple-display configuration, you must connect a D-Sub monitor using a DVI-to-D-Sub adapter.
    Maximum shared memory of 1 GB
    So yeah, it supports up to 4K on the HDMI ports, but only 1080p on the DVI. But your both right, I don't understand why the HDMI is limited on the DGM monitor either because the DGM website also lists it as HDMI 1.4, which should technically support 1440p.

Not sure if I'll bother with the AOC for now. Might just wait for it to become more mainstream and get another monitor at a later date when the prices are cheaper.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Necro, so I can update for future Google warriors: whilst the DGM panels are fine when they work, DGM support is abysmal. We had two monitors (of 16) arrive without power bricks, and it took more than two weeks to get them sent. We've had another power brick fail since then, and a month later we're still waiting for its replacement. One panel has gone back for a problematic backlight - it went dark towards one corner - and another has just gone back as the board developed some kind of madness, wherein the display was covered with digital snow and flickered constantly, thus being completely unusable.

So: if you want to take the chance to save some money, working panels are great. But there's a not insignificant chance of having a problem, and having to deal with the slow-as-molasses support. We've been sent some AOC Q2770PQU monitors as replacements for faulty DGMs now, as our supplier aren't stocking DGM going forward after this grief (can't blame them), and they're great monitors: more inputs, no power brick (kettle lead straight in), 90 degree rotation of the panel, for not much more cost - £300-ish ex VAT.

Thank Post
    Get the 1440 I did. I didn't go for pixel density etc as the reason it just meant with those few extra lines of resolution you could get that little bit more on the screen at once. Got 2 IIyama monitors using a Geforce card and displayport works really well shame the CPU is a dog (Dell 380 with dual core pentium, ffs!!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12