+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Michael Gove 'Axes' To Kill A Mockingbird & Other American Works From GCSE Syllabus in General; Originally Posted by speckytecky That'll be the we closely look after each other's interests party and the country comes second ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    That'll be the we closely look after each other's interests party and the country comes second party!
    isnt that all of them in reality

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    "my family are from X area and if I supported any other football team I'd be disowned" (that's pretty much a quote from my Technician).
    Hahaha do spill./

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This man cannot help himself can he. EVERY time he opens his mouth he says something stupid.

Even at school I though Of Mice And Men was a brillaint book and even more so today it is so deep tragic. Not read Mockingbird so cannot comment. My friend last night said to me 'why don't they read harry potter?'

Bahahaha a aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I went on for about a minute!

Thank Post
    Watch out the thought police will be on to you soon.

Thank Post
    imho (I haven't looked at Literature) the changes the changes to EYFS, KS1 and KS2 in the other subjects looks pretty good to me. They seem to have looked at what other countries steaming ahead of the UK are up to and have tweaked things to follow the same methods. Haven't looked beyond KS2 though, that might be a different story altogether.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,228 Times in 1,645 Posts
    Fair point Elsiegee but despite the fact that many of their candidates are already unelectable they still get elected by the pin the vote on the blue rosette syndrome. The 'I've always voted Conservative' blue rinse brigade. The whole electoral system is a crock. That said I don't know what could be done to make it better. The Lib Dems beat on about Proportional Representation (which comes in several formats) but unfortunately the stupid 'Party List' system thrust upon the Country for recent European Elections is a real heap of poo. First past the post would even have been more meaningful.
    Believe me... I live in a blue part of the country. I honestly wish my vote would count, but all it does is reduce the torie majority slightly.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 26th May 2014 at 08:41 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,228 Times in 1,645 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    This man cannot help himself can he. EVERY time he opens his mouth he says something stupid.

Even at school I though Of Mice And Men was a brillaint book and even more so today it is so deep tragic. Not read Mockingbird so cannot comment. My friend last night said to me 'why don't they read harry potter?'

Bahahaha a aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I went on for about a minute!
    @GREED I thoroughly recommend Mockingbird which I read for the first time a couple of years ago when my son studied it for AS. I also recommend following it up with The Help which is written on a similar theme. Both get you thinking.

Thank Post
    As I understand it the changes do not say you cannot use "of mice and men", rather they say you must read something from a 20thC British Author. So it would be entirely possible to read (say) "1984" AND "of mice and men".

9. Thanks to pcstru from:

ComputingData (26th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Reading 1984 would not be a bad thing. Excellent author.

Thank Post
    Maybe 1984 and Brave New World should be compulsory reading. Kids might learn to see through the lies being told to them.

Thank Post
    To this day - 30 years on - , I still detest Shakespeare, due to one fat, smelly, teacher who insisted we should all love it, just because ' it's the greatest thing ever written'.
    Ditto Mockingbird, which came across as a party political broadcast by the 'all white people are arseholes' party.
    BUT, of M&M - struck a cord, and maybe would do now more than ever, with about a quarter of the kids in Europe unable to find work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ConradJones View Post
    Hahaha do spill./
    In his case, it's Liverpool.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    My 16 year old daughter is a fabulous student and she holds a very low opinion of Shakespeare - often wondering why students are force fed 'classics' when there are far better Author of modern times who would make much more useful and interesting case studies.
    Now I loved shakespeare as a student and still do now, but I absolutely think that more modern and yes, American why not, authors should be there too. In fact I'd like to see there being a point made of picking one classic and one more contemporary piece to study and comparing and contrasting the different writing styles in the two. That would be an interesting and educational case study imho.

In any case, strangling the life out of English Lit for students cannot be a good thing in the long term.

As to Gove - why can't this man stop interfering all the time. He is gong to go down in history as the Secretary of State for a education who did the most damage to UK education ever. About time Cameron sacked the guy and replaced him with someone who can implement their so called party policy of leaving teachers to teach etc.
    Gove really does appear to be an awful, dreadful halfwit. I can't remember a single recent education minister I didn't feel that way about, to be fair, but he is almost certainly the worst for some time.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Michael Gove has written a reply in The Telegraph defending his position on this matter:

Link: Michael Gove: Kill a Mockingbird? I'd never dream of it - Telegraph

...Last year the Department for Education set out new requirements around which exam boards would frame their specifications. The new subject content for all GCSEs is broader and deeper than before – reflecting a higher level of ambition for children. In English literature, we emphasised that students must read a wide range of texts. We also set out a core that had to be covered – specifically a whole Shakespeare play, poetry from 1789 including the romantics, a 19th-century novel and some fiction or drama written in the British Isles since 1914.

Beyond this, exam boards have the freedom to design specifications so that they are stretching and interesting, and include any number of other texts from which teachers can then choose...

Thank Post
    So once the core texts that have to be covered have been studied how much time will be left to study To Kill a Mockingbird and Of mice and men?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast