+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
General Chat Thread, Art School fire caused by projector. in General; Great news everyone is safe and that they were able to save the structure and most of the contents. The ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,263
    Thank Post
    111
    Thanked 242 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    74

    Art School fire caused by projector.

    Great news everyone is safe and that they were able to save the structure and most of the contents. The root cause though is something we need to keep an eye on.
    BBC News - Glasgow School of Art: Fire crews save most of building

  2. #2
    timbo343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leeds/York area, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,031
    Thank Post
    305
    Thanked 292 Times in 202 Posts
    Rep Power
    120
    It probably over heated or a surge went through it. How else could it explode? Wonder if the filters hadnt been clean for ages.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    10
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    3
    Doesn't surprise me one bit. I do risk assessments and fire safety checks for about 100 schools .

    Schools are the worst offenders by a country mile, caretakers face a constant battle with Teachers apathetic attitude to fire safety.

    Equipment left on all the time (including projectors) ,fire doors wedged open , rubbish left in stairwells,tea towels left on hobs in staff room to dry,pictures stuck up over MCP's . The list goes on !

    Teachers go straight from School , to Uni, then back to School again , 90% of them have got 0% common sense !

    Reminded a head teacher the other day of his responsibilities under RRO , and the possibilities of him being bumped in Strangeways for several years, which seemed to concentrate his mind a little !
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 24th May 2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Language!!

  4. 4 Thanks to cctvfitter:

    mthomas08 (25th May 2014), rad (26th May 2014), speckytecky (24th May 2014), witch (24th May 2014)

  5. #4

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,039
    Thank Post
    888
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    453
    I might send that article around on the email. Reminding people not to leave them switched on unattended. Hopefully will save a few bulbs.

  6. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    10
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I might send that article around on the email. Reminding people not to leave them switched on unattended. Hopefully will save a few bulbs.

    Staff also just pull the plug on em sometimes , without going through the correct shut down procedure which keeps the fan on to cool the lamp down.

  7. #6
    newpersn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    1,254
    Thank Post
    287
    Thanked 111 Times in 84 Posts
    Rep Power
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by cctvfitter View Post
    Staff also just pull the plug on em sometimes , without going through the correct shut down procedure which keeps the fan on to cool the lamp down.
    Some Epsons just turn off after you shut them down. No cooling time

  8. #7
    GeekyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In a cold dark server room.
    Posts
    339
    Thank Post
    23
    Thanked 78 Times in 59 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Sounds like a faulty projector to me. Even with clogged filters or if the unit was covered in a pile of paper, the thermal cut out should have powered it off long before it reached ignition temp. Art student use projectors to create large pieces of work. It's quiet possible this wasn't ceiling mounted.

  9. #8

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,807
    Thank Post
    517
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    835
    If it was being used in an art piece, it could well have been altered also... Or contained in some way which is unsafe (ie. hidden in the body of a piece of art).

  10. #9

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    6,036
    Thank Post
    589
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    467
    I'm sending that email now. Will serve as a very useful reminder. One of our worst offenders is an, er, department particularly close to this article!

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    15
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    It doesn't actually say what type of projector it was, so may not have been the data projection type you initially think about.

  12. #11

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,039
    Thank Post
    888
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by cctvfitter View Post
    Staff also just pull the plug on em sometimes , without going through the correct shut down procedure which keeps the fan on to cool the lamp down.
    Here its impossible for them to do so, unless they get up and pull the kettle lead from the back of it.

  13. #12
    mthomas08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,619
    Thank Post
    136
    Thanked 166 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    62
    Just goes to show what electrical equipment can cause, regardless if it was a data projector or not its still electrical. Requires maintenance, looking after or even common sense to use.

    Turning things off isn't something people do enough, our projectors (newish ones) are all set to auto turn off. The School also has a new fire alarm system. Both the Schools I have worked at have had the safety officers on site pretty much throwing the book, cost has been high but same thing has been implemented at the Schools.

  14. #13
    arwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dundee
    Posts
    280
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 50 Times in 41 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Sort of glad I didn't get the job in their IT department now! But it is pretty horrible. it was a lovely old building, inside and out. Hoping they can reconstruct that of it they could not save.

  15. #14

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,345
    Thank Post
    1,390
    Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,691 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    the news today said it was a film projector and it set light to some foam, so the IT department might not have anything to worry about!

  16. #15

    Andrew_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,975
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 378 Times in 288 Posts
    Rep Power
    160
    I know someone in an AV hire company. They won't hire out projectors to Art Students. And that pre-dates this incident.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. XP BSOD caused by Chrome
    By elsiegee40 in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31st May 2012, 08:03 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 23rd April 2012, 12:31 PM
  3. SChannel EventID 36887 caused by lsass.exe
    By dhoward_westexetc in forum Windows Server 2008 R2
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 3rd May 2011, 12:28 PM
  4. Hardware Failure - Caused by Dust?
    By enjay in forum Hardware
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 26th April 2010, 11:39 AM
  5. Stop looping effects caused by interconnection...
    By johnny in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 19th February 2007, 09:26 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •