+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Work experience kid in General; Thanks all got a decent list coming on... Chat and tour of our Head Office and both server rooms explaining ...

Thank Post
    Thanks all got a decent list coming on...
    Chat and tour of our Head Office and both server rooms explaining how the network works and our resiliency between the sites etc
    Windows 7 install, update, drivers, office etc
    Linux install
    Dual boot
    AD Intro, create an email address etc
    Build a PC which I will dismantle - identifying components etc
    How to guides on some things I need!
    Virtualisation session - set up a vmware work station and vsphere on an old box
    IP, DNS, DHCP very basic what they do etc
    Make some patch cables
    Take an image of a PC, sysprep
    Restore image
    Visit some other sites to see network setup
    Helpdesk calls

2. 2 Thanks to visioN:

AMLightfoot (23rd May 2014), Garacesh (23rd May 2014)

Thank Post
    We have in the past set jobs like - here's two broken laptops, make one good one. We had one call come in where a machine wouldn't boot, and we set the WEK on finding out why. We replaced the machine, brought the broken one back to the office, give him some spare RAM and a power supply, and let him go for it. He said afterwards he'd wanted to build his own machine for ages, but never had the nerve - he was worried he's break a component when fitting it. He went out and bought the bits that weekend and came in on the Monday with such a sense of accomplishment - it was great to see.

4. Thanks to clareq from:

AMLightfoot (23rd May 2014)

Thank Post
    I still remember my work experience which was around ten years ago, was a very valuable two weeks. I did mine with the LA IT department and spent the majority of my time in the schools team where I was doing all sorts, I then spent a few days with the corporate team but the schools team ended up taking me back over as there wasn't much for me to do. I remember sorting out old kit and cables, yeah it was pants but was an experience of what had to be done. The LA has always spent a fair wack on the setup so the majority of work was done remotely but I found out new things, but the biggest thing was gaining the relationship with the team as in my current job and previous I had a heavy involvement with the LA, the majority have gone else where but now setup in new businesses I still have weekly contact. That working relationship for me was key, four years of my last job would not have been the same if I did not have those contacts, half the work would not be done. It was a very close nit and what I call a proper team where we go out on regular occasions, I could not ask for more to be honest.

Yeah the WEK always get the rubbish jobs, if it was me I would sit down, show them around, explain how it works, i.e. how the internet comes in and go through the network like that, explain why things have to happen i.e. filtering, AV, show them some processes from start to end i.e. new user, setup, then close one off and explain why, show them service desk related tasks, imaging a machine from start to finish. Show them common things and if you have any bespoke things. Obviously alot of this depends on how switched on the WEK is but show them things they wont forget quick, i.e. lots of flashy lights in server room!!

Explain the differences of a home setup and corporate i.e. restrictions and why things are done. In my experience don't give them the rubbish they loose interest, give them a task they can see through and see the difference.

You never know they may end up working with you in a few years!

Thank Post
    Yeah i want them to take something away from the week. Either open up their eyes to IT, or scare them off completely!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by visioN View Post
    Yeah i want them to take something away from the week. Either open up their eyes to IT, or scare them off completely!
    The more environments and roles you can expose them to the better because there are all sorts of pathways in IT and not being 'technical' doesn't have to be a barrier to progression. Service Management and Service Delivery, Change Management, etc.

Thank Post
    I have one, he works in our Catering department normally but comes to us every Wednesday. After 6 months it's getting a little tricky to find stuff for him to do, he is CRB'ed so he can wander off on his own etc, but tbh I don't trust him. We have got him making cat5 cables, some were taking him an hour to get right and that was a basic 2m, plug on each end jobbie!

Thank Post
    I had a horrible placement in EDS during college over 10 years ago where I was mismatched with what I was interested in pursuing, I slept with my eyes open for a lot of it, I got sent all around the building largely because the woman supervising me was out for 5 days of the 10 on courses, though it was primarily programming based the placement when I was interested in hardware/systems management, I was primarily based in their "Database Management" section for the duration, which consisted of making edits via tickets to a massive Xerox database on a unix mainframe that their engineers used at the time, screenshot a unix screen, print, edit the database entry that was screenshotted, then screenshot the completed changes and print - some people did that for the entirety of their day remarkably. Getting shown the DVLA stuff they were programming was pretty cool at the time though, no matter how laughable it was internally with them that they were over budget and deadline with everything just over half finished when I was there.

I spent a single day out of the fortnight, with their helpdesk team which was quite excellent, the people were all very nice and took time to explain their various roles out and show me everything, but as I wasn't interested in programming/software development at the time, everything else was a bit of a loss for me in that placement, though I did make my lecturers laugh when the placement diary had down on it a "Coffee Count" showing how many coffees I managed to drink each day to get me through the days, probably the longest fortnight in a "job" of my life, was like time stood still in places.

That being said, I had a pupil on work experience last year and it was a bit daunting at first because of that past experience and I realise that generally I am a pretty solitary person, which goes well with the world of IT I think at times, I resolved to show him everything possible and get him to see what normal day to day operations were like for my job, I probably overwhelmed him a bit for the first day or two, as I resolved to talk through pretty much everything we did and gave the "grand tour" of our IT systems.
    I at least want to think he was engaged though and hopefully enjoyed it too, I didnt send him off on the "Bad/Carrying jobs" and I made sure I helped out whenever anything like carrying/cleaning out PCs was involved, he knew his way around a PC having built a couple himself and running a server in his home, so it was good that I was able to let him work with minimal supervision on things like PC repairs in offices or classrooms and it worked out good from our point of view as well I felt, because he did bring up some things which we looked at while on the job and he pointed out a couple of policies that were not working properly which we worked through and remedied, though that probably didn't make him all that popular with his peers when some stuff got tightened up

It does depend on the person though, if their interested in the field, I think that makes it infinitely easier on everyone, rather than someone being on a "Generalised" placement who may not have much of an interest in the field.
    Last edited by rich_tech; 23rd May 2014 at 10:47 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12