+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, YouTube access in schools in General; We allow staff full access and students access to YouTube Education. I get a few complaints that students have been ...

Thank Post
    We allow staff full access and students access to YouTube Education. I get a few complaints that students have been set a task which includes watching a particular YouTube video that's not available on YouTube education, but we tell them to project the video to the whole class if they need to see it.

I personally don't think students should have any access to YouTube. They're bound to get off topic and end up endlessly watching random videos, not to mention some of the stuff you can watch with unfiltered YouTube. I definitely wouldn't want my kids being able to watch YouTube in school.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've been trying to sign up for a youtube for schools account for ages and it just won't let me. Get a 500 internal server error. I've unblocked it, because some educational sites point to youtube and vimeo vids.

Anyone else had any issues with the youtube for schools?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kaphc View Post
    Teachers can access Youtube - students can't. I direct teachers in primary schools to Quiet Youtube which blocks out the comments and the suggested videos, as usually there is no local control of filtering.
    For some reason this does not work for me. I just grabbed a Minecraft video and stuck Quiet in the url and I got a 404 error.

edit - I had kept the https in place, d'oh
    Last edited by Danp; 21st May 2014 at 11:30 AM.

Thank Post
    You could inform the teachers about quiettube ?

Basically you take the youtube url and insert quiet after the www.

i.e. Awsome Fails Compilation 2013 - YouTube
    becomes
    http://www.quietyoutube.com/watch?v=T0nlEWRtu0Y

5. Thanks to pooley from:

Joanne (21st May 2014)

Thank Post
    We allow it even though I prefer not to but I am putting together a proposal to:
    1. Upgrade our internet bandwidth because it is consistently hitting 90-100%
    2. Put up with it but tell Staff/Students tough on their problems
    3. Consider banning websites that in my view are not really educational but we can allow future EDU websites.

I prefer 3 mainly because its what I did at my last job and having 1000 machines roughly on the same internet connection with a consistent 65/75% hit on busy times just shows what you can do with a bit of work. I didn't allow Youtube and a lot of other sites at my last job.

FYI we tested a block on youtube and we witnessed the spike drop.

Thank Post
    Staff have Youtube access, Smoothwall filtered.

Of the students, only the 6th Form Film Studies group have access to Youtube, Smoothwall filtered.

Both of these against my better judgement, contrary to my advice, and I'm waiting eagerly for the time when something goes wrong, something completely inappropriate gets displayed, then I can give it a BIG 'Told You So' and block them all again.

Thank Post
    We allow it to all staff and students, have done this for years with no problems. But our students are generally very well behaved, I wouldn't do it in a comprehensive school!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryMonkey View Post
    How do you prevent anyone from using the https version ?
    They can use the HTTPS, Smoothwall decrypts and inspects it anyway

Thank Post
    Staff and Sixth Form have access, other students do not

Thank Post
    "My" primary's leave it completely open. Not had any issues apart from when YouTube decided to show a almost naked person on the homepage. But kids will find stuff if they want to, thankfully teachers keep a close eye on them.

In another school it had to be blocked as students were on it all lesson. Guess it depends on the teachers.
    Last edited by Alkaline; 22nd May 2014 at 07:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Staff only, even then only safe mode with ads and comments removed via smoothwall. Students have access to youtube for schools.

Thank Post
    Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh is the normal sound when YouTubeis mention at our school.....

We are having real problems at the moment in respect of YouTube. We used toblock it for students via Policy Central and give full access to staff. Then wewent through the painful but beneficial process of setting up YouTube forschools. This worked well for some time. We had students using the filtered YouTube,Staff had a login to override it and we had the master login where we could addand white list videos. So, as max usedto say, I want to tell you a story......

One day Google decided something was not just right in the world and we werehaving life to easy, so they thought it would be nice if our teacher’s logins didn’twork anymore. So they went forwarded and said this is our gift to you and madeit so.

We had been blessed by the mighty Google. What could we do now; we had to startusing the master login for staff so they could reap the benefits of the bountiful YouTube. This brought joy back to the humble teaching staff and Google was once again respected. Students we still fine with the filtered YouTube and knew nothing of the blessing that Google had bestowed on the school.

Once again Google looked down on the school and saw what it had done and how its offerings had been accepted. This seemed to displease the mighty Google that the school had abused its restrictions and still ate from the tree of knowledge. So once more it made known from that day forward the school would be blighted with errors while playing its videos like a plague on the school and the school would feel the wrath of the mighty Google once more.

So now the humble school looked forward for help from the almighty local authority who very graciously looks after its gateway to the allpowerful internet and asked guidance to see whether it can help in stopping the power of Google messing with its powerful wall of fire. They too were unable to combat the awesome power that Google holds.

The knowledgeable Link2ICT spoke back to the school and told it they were the only ones who messed with the omnipotent Google and wereunable to help.

So My Question is....... Has anyone else had this problem.....?If so have you fixed it.....? Or should I reprogram the firewall with a large axe.....

On a serious note, as far as I can tell from research of the problem, it is a redirection error and it lies with the change in URL name that comes back from YouTube after a request from the browser is sent. We seem to be the only school under Link2ICT control that uses YouTube for Schools, so their experience of it is limited. There is very little support from Google/YouTube on this. HELP!!!!!

Last edited by phil0569; 23rd May 2014 at 09:42 AM.

14. 2 Thanks to phil0569:

southhamster (23rd May 2014), SYNACK (23rd May 2014)

Thank Post
    Due to a new VLE (firefly), staff are being very proactive in it's use (i'm as shocked as you guys). Lots of youtube content being put up in the VLE. Great when the teacher is logged on and using in class, but not so great when they say now go away and carry on yourself (in prep for example).

As there is no real way of getting this to work without a shed-load of kerfuffle, we are tentatively talking about unblocking it across the board, with safe search on and comments disabled.
    Last edited by Ben_Stanton; 12th June 2014 at 01:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi

I seem to be having big issues with setting this up! Hope you guys can help!

When I set-up Decrypt and inspect and go to Youtube we get the error - Cannot connect to the real YouTube. If we turn it off the Https version of the website is totally unfiltered without comments being blocked or safesearch being activated. We have imported the Guardian CA certificate via group policy to all of our PCs but still get this error. Also, if anyone go's to the http version it auto seems to go to the https version giving this error!

Only had Smoothwall a few weeks so having a few teething Problems

Regards

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12