+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Family Cat Saves A Boy From An Attacking Dog in General; Originally Posted by abillybob Dogs on the other hand hunt in packs and are completely the opposite in the way ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Dogs on the other hand hunt in packs and are completely the opposite in the way cats think, a dog WILL fight for it's owner to death in most cases as it see's you as the Alpha Male and wants to protect you, that's just part of their instinct.
    The concept of dogs having an "alpha male" has been thoroughly debunked multiple times, as the original research had been completed on wild wolves that had been captured from different areas and then forced to live as a group, with the research then just transferred with no evidence to dogs. Instead, actual research with dogs has shown that they actually work more like a team or a family, with dogs leading by example and not through strength.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    No, that doesn't sound like a crazy cat lady at all. That sounds like pretty standard cat ownership. Cat owners get to witness all the complexities of feline behaviour. People who think animals don't have feelings are wrong. They might not understand and analyse them the way we do but that doesn't mean they don't have them. I don't speak the same language as my cat but he makes it pretty obvious when he wants 'me time' and when he wants company.
    Most pet owners would say that about their pets - from horses, dogs, cats, hamster, goldfish, spider, bacterium, Tamagotchi, pet rock. How can you be sure what you see isn't a reflection of YOU, rather than a true property of the thing you are looking at? We are very good at picking out patterns - so we see faces in clouds or on the surface of Mars. Surely we might just be doing the same thing when we ascribe intelligence/feelings/loyalty/emotions to our pets - seeing things that aren't really there. "People who think animals don't have feelings are wrong" is alluring but surely it's not that clear cut.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Most pet owners would say that about their pets - from horses, dogs, cats, hamster, goldfish, spider, bacterium, Tamagotchi, pet rock. How can you be sure what you see isn't a reflection of YOU, rather than a true property of the thing you are looking at? We are very good at picking out patterns - so we see faces in clouds or on the surface of Mars. Surely we might just be doing the same thing when we ascribe intelligence/feelings/loyalty/emotions to our pets - seeing things that aren't really there. "People who think animals don't have feelings are wrong" is alluring but surely it's not that clear cut.

Anthromorphisation is a thing which is why there is a word for it but it is not that clear cut. Pets will do stuff 'for' you when you you are really ill, mine will go hunting to bring me food - in the form of dead wildlife - which they never do when I am well. They will also stand guard at the end of the bed, again uncommon for my cats.

They may not have an exactly human sense of loyalty but they do have something like it, even with observer error there is more going on than a simple food demanding relationship... Guessing most of the researchers who came to that conclusion were dog owners or anti-pet.

Thank Post
    see, My cat knows around 9-10pm its dinner time (wet food) Dry food is down all the time.

But she goes out at night and she comes in when i go to work. She took to my little boy. (hes 2) and he loves her. Pulls and pushes her around and still comes back to get more. When the kids go bed she lays around the sofa and comes over when you call her.

Thank Post
    My only question about all this is why did the adult run away from the child especially when the bairn had been hurt!!! Why not take the child with them???

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyMoon View Post
    My only question about all this is why did the adult run away from the child especially when the bairn had been hurt!!! Why not take the child with them???
    Chasing the dog off, or making sure it didn't come back?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyMoon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Chasing the dog off, or making sure it didn't come back?
    She was chasing the dog away (I thought the same thing so had to go and find out!):

Thank Post
    Why wasn't the parent out there with her child? He seems very young should she not have been keeping an eye on him?

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Why wasn't the parent out there with her child? He seems very young should she not have been keeping an eye on him?
    How many seconds away was she. Obviously not sitting watching Oprah was she.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,823 Posts
    He isn't that young and she obviously was very nearby

Thank Post
    Oh yeah had to watch it again to remind myself* my bad!

*Im very sleepy!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    see, My cat knows around 9-10pm its dinner time (wet food) Dry food is down all the time.

But she goes out at night and she comes in when i go to work. She took to my little boy. (hes 2) and he loves her. Pulls and pushes her around and still comes back to get more. When the kids go bed she lays around the sofa and comes over when you call her.
    My family had a cat when I was a young'un. Hated me for the first couple of years of my being ambulatory, but she persisted with her training, so by the time I turned 7 or so, she had someone to carry her around over their shoulder, or cradle her like a baby. She adopted me as her human you see. Didn't do that with anyone else in the family... I still miss her, even though she's been gone for a good 15 years now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The concept of dogs having an "alpha male" has been thoroughly debunked multiple times, as the original research had been completed on wild wolves that had been captured from different areas and then forced to live as a group, with the research then just transferred with no evidence to dogs. Instead, actual research with dogs has shown that they actually work more like a team or a family, with dogs leading by example and not through strength.

The 'alpha male' in our house is the smallest, female dog. She's also the oldest and longest serving, which probably helps. She's seen all the others come in to the pack and knows her place (she gets special treatment), if any of the other animals (including the ~50kg Leonbergers) bundles into her she will have at them with a serious fierceness and they all back down.

It is remarkable to see the interaction of 6 very different dogs on a daily basis, ranging from 25-50kg, both sexes (some 'entire'), of 4 different breeds.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    It is remarkable to see the interaction of 6 very different dogs on a daily basis, ranging from 25-50kg, both sexes (some 'entire'), of 4 different breeds.
    My mother's Yorkie is mentally disturbed after five years of abuse before she was rescued. We've had her for maybe 2 years now and she is either asleep when she's barking/making sounds or doing either incredibly well or badly that day. She hates to look at people, but is upset when she is left alone.

The only times she perks up when my mum isn't with her is when she is with the one other dog she knows (my Nan's). She runs away from other dogs, but she starts following her around, sniffing and growling an acting like a "normal" dog. There's also one of my cats that she gets along with, whereas the other two don't like dogs. We catch the cat sleeping on top of her sometimes.

Animal interactions are absolutely incredible between species when they get along. I had a housemate at one point with the biggest Rottweiler I've ever seen and he would try to play with, luck and cuddle my pet rabbit.

15. Thanks to Bompalompalomp from:

SiliconAlley_Sam (15th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    I had a housemate at one point with the biggest Rottweiler I've ever seen and he would try to play with, luck and cuddle my pet rabbit.
    Please tell me there's picture evidence of this! Awhhhh!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast