+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Family Cat Saves A Boy From An Attacking Dog in General; Originally Posted by hardtailstar Not sure what they were on about as my cat shows me love and affection plus ...

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    Not sure what they were on about as my cat shows me love and affection plus it isn't after food all the time.

I wont bore you with the details but having had cats in my house since I can remember, I dont agree with Channel 4.
    Not really a cat fan, I'm semi moved in with my partner. One of the cats has really taken to me, the other not so much. It will sit on me and look 'lovingly' into my eyes... my partners words (I think she is jealous ;-) ). If I am away for a few days, both cats 'sulk' and take a couple of hours before they come back around to me.

The other week I heard cat claws scrambling across the laminate. I looked around and saw a huge German Shepherd standing in the lounge. One cat was nowhere to be seen for several hours. we eventually found the hiding place, in a corner where two kitchen cabinets meet. The dog is next doors, they had just brought it home, it is an ex-firearms police dog. I was on my own, no back up from either cat.

Thank Post
    Our last (now sadly departed) cat once scared the dog next door into wetting himself...

Thank Post
    Now can't picture a cat without seeing it in some sort of superhero getup.

4. Thanks to SiliconAlley_Sam from:

hardtailstar (15th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    Now can't picture a cat without seeing it in some sort of superhero getup.
    it'll be around soon!

Thank Post
    It was on the news this morning the cat followed the couple home from the park when they were dating and they adopted her.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I'm quite surprised the cat acted in this way, it is very unlikely that cats actually share loyalty towards a human owner, on the Channel 4 Documentary about them cats don't show love and affection and most stuff they do towards humans is to get food or attention for their own selfish needs.
    It has shocked me, maybe it appears the cat is doing it in honour of the boy or maybe it's just because the cat decided to do it and he was lucky!? I suppose we will never know.

Dogs on the other hand hunt in packs and are completely the opposite in the way cats think, a dog WILL fight for it's owner to death in most cases as it see's you as the Alpha Male and wants to protect you, that's just part of their instinct.

It seems the dog in the clip didn't have an owner with him? Maybe a stray? Maybe hungry and saw the child as an easy way to get a bit of lunch... unfortunately we don't know the full story but it's either a stray that happened to see the boy or the owners are disgusting and need burying with the dog!
    I don't agree I'm afraid.

Why everything you know about wolf packs is wrong

Whether cats show 'Love' and 'Affection' towards humans can be debated, however we've all seen the videos of mother cats snuggling their babies and we've read stories of unrelated cats (and sometimes even males) adopting orphaned kittens. So 'Love' and 'affection' might be contentious but there is a solid argument towards 'compassion'. When Truffie died our other cat was really distressed. She'd run about the house wailing and looking in all the places Truffie used to sleep. It was heartbreaking. Truffie used to get distressed when Tigga was nowhere to be found too. So clearly they have some companionship-type relationship that means something to the animal.

My young male cat, Enzo, will greet me when I get home from work and meow at me incessantly until I sit down on the sofa whereupon he'll jump up and roll about on my lap until I've petted him to his satisfaction. I'm under no illusions that this is unlikely to be 'love' in the way we understand it but clearly my companionship and attention means enough to him that he goes out of his way to solicit it. He doesn't have to. He has plenty of food freely available and he has free access to the outdoors via a cat flap. He doesn't have to 'pay for' or 'solicit' his food by showing me 'affection'. This isn't a LEARNED behaviour or cause-and-effect scenario - I don't provide his food as a result of his 'loves'. His biscuits are always available and when they're running low he'll mew at me. He is an autonomous individual who makes active choices and one of his choices is to get up on my lap and solicit 'affection'. He has plenty of beds and 'activity towers' and soft blankets in various places in the house yet he CHOOSES to sleep on the bed with me or in our bedroom on his 'upstairs' activity tower (he has two - one downstairs and one up). This is a choice he makes for himself.

Perhaps the cat was behaving territorially but it is a well established fact that cats, as solitary predators, prefer 'posturing' and 'vocal' fights over physical altercations. For this cat to charge at the dog, turn sideways and knock the dog away is unusual behaviour for a cat. Most cats would puff up and hiss, spit and yowl. They wouldn't launch themselves at the dog.

As a longtime cat owner my theory is that this cat has a bond with her human family (the cat is female btw). To the cat, the humans she lives with are her 'companions' and when a dog threatened her companions and entered her territory she defended both the territory and the companion with no regard to her own welfare. This was a choice she made. WHY she made that choice is impossible to determine. All we can do is speculate on why she reacted in a non-typical way.

Personally I like to think that she did it out of compassion.

8. Thanks to AMLightfoot from:

Greenbeast (15th May 2014)

Thank Post
    I'm not a cat person either - but I'm in awe of this cat.... i love the way it pounces on the dog and chases it away.
    I still can't understand the complete un-prevoked attack from the dog.... it was quite sly in the way it approached the child. It doesn't appear to be wearing a collar either.
    Glad the child is okay thanks to the puddy cat...

Thank Post
    Anyone who knows cats can see that the animal is just keeping it's it's prey fresh. Meanwhile the dog is talking to it's lawyers about issuing a subpoena for the three hours of footage that show the boy taunting the dog, throwing rocks at it. Although even the dog is wrong about that, it was actually the cat dressed up as the boy.

Cat's - you really can't trust them.
    Last edited by pcstru; 15th May 2014 at 10:32 AM.

11. 2 Thanks to pcstru:

Greenbeast (15th May 2014), hallb15 (15th May 2014)

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Cat's - you really can't trust them.
    Cat's what? ;-)

True though. Look at Garfield.

13. Thanks to creese from:

pcstru (15th May 2014)

Thank Post
    I don't think anybody who owns a cat could believe that cats don't have a sense of loyalty.

I'm a blossoming crazy cat lady in the making, though... Three cats with all very different personalities.

One of them fell out of a second storey window once and ran off out of shock, and his mum ran out the back door and brought him back within ten minutes. I had a nasty infection once and passed out climbing stairs because of it and fell down the whole set. When I woke up I was bleeding from the impact slightly and my cats woke my mum up crying and jumped on her bed!

Oh god I sound crazy. I'm not crazy.

15. Thanks to Bompalompalomp from:

Greenbeast (15th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Cat's what? ;-)
    Damn you are grammar!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    I don't think anybody who owns a cat could believe that cats don't have a sense of loyalty.

I'm a blossoming crazy cat lady in the making, though... Three cats with all very different personalities.

One of them fell out of a second storey window once and ran off out of shock, and his mum ran out the back door and brought him back within ten minutes. I had a nasty infection once and passed out climbing stairs because of it and fell down the whole set. When I woke up I was bleeding from the impact slightly and my cats woke my mum up crying and jumped on her bed!

At first I thought you were 'mom'...

Are you actually Catwoman?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    At first I thought you were 'mom'...

Are you actually Catwoman?
    I'M NOT CRAZY

Thank Post
    I'M NOT CRAZY
    Somebody forget their medication?

We've got the difference in personalities with the dogs in our house, one lazy Yorkie that just sleeps, one crazy Australian Silky that can't stand still for more than 40 seconds.

A Bull Terrier went for the youngest a few weeks ago and the Yorkie jumped at it snarling and barking like mad, never seen her move so fast before, luckily I had them on a pretty short lead so pulled them behind me before anything could happen. Woman walking it did nothing of course, just walked off.. a few choice words were grumbled on our end.

Thank Post

No, that doesn't sound like a crazy cat lady at all. That sounds like pretty standard cat ownership. Cat owners get to witness all the complexities of feline behaviour. People who think animals don't have feelings are wrong. They might not understand and analyse them the way we do but that doesn't mean they don't have them. I don't speak the same language as my cat but he makes it pretty obvious when he wants 'me time' and when he wants company.
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 15th May 2014 at 12:06 PM.

21. 2 Thanks to AMLightfoot:

Bompalompalomp (15th May 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast