+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, BBC iPlayer now for everybody! in General; The BBC has now launched the Flash-based version of its iPlayer so that those of us that pay our license ...

Thank Post

BBC iPlayer now for everybody!

The BBC has now launched the Flash-based version of its iPlayer so that those of us that pay our license fee like the Windoze users can also watch on our Macs/Linux boxen.

Check it out at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: BBC iPlayer now for everybody!

What about those who use Lynx? Hmmm?? There's always someone left out! :P

Thank Post

Cue all the ISP's moaning about not having enough bandwith/lack of investment etc..

Thank Post

There has been a small problem with it under linux so my mate tells me (I've not had a chance to test it out myself yet as my laptop is ever so slightly boned and needs a reinstall ). He says that videos are cutting out and giving some message about streaming.

Isolated case maybe? We'll have to wait and see. But it is good news that they are considering the alternative OS's. When I was at LugRadio Live earlier this year one of the iPlayer team was there. He came under some pretty heavy fire...poor guy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

The BBC has now launched the Flash-based version of its iPlayer so that those of us that pay our license fee like the Windoze users can also watch on our Macs/Linux boxen.
    You could watch stuff if you DLed the torrents from various web sites - legal ones too like UK Nova. http://www.uknova.com/

Been doing that for years......

I found the BBC iplayer to be a load of sh1t along with other related software that shoves any DRM related nonsence on a PC.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    You could watch stuff if you DLed the torrents from various web sites - legal ones too like UK Nova. http://www.uknova.com/

Been doing that for years......

I found the BBC iplayer to be a load of sh1t along with other related software that shoves any DRM related nonsence on a PC.
    Agree the iplayer is a load of *%*, maybe the bbc can now turn their attention to supporting flash video for webclips on the news site instead of continuing to offer only wm or real. I mean it's only three years since youtube proved we don't need wm or real plugins for good web video

{No swearing please - Z}

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't get why the BBC use DRM for video's which we are legally entitled to record to our own media anyway. I'm entitled to record every episode of Top Gear from BBC 2 on to my PC so why have the download service DRM filled?

But I agree on the news clips! Be gone real player. Be gone windows media player. Bring on flv!

Thank Post

Its nice, but I agree, for school I want to be able to save a program to use at a later date.

Thank Post

@torledo - I don't know if Youtube proved we can have good video, it just provided small video. The tradeoff is the severe lack of visual and audio quality compared to WM or Real.

@localzuk - Maybe it's because it's only legal for you to watch it, not for people outside the UK.

Thank Post

UKNova falls into quite a grey area. Copyrighted material is still protected and you are not legally entitled to record from the TV.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by gwendes
    Copyrighted material is still protected and you are not legally entitled to record from the TV.
    You are if you are in a school with an ERA licence. Schools can also share digital recordings with other schools if you have the ERA+ licence (new).

There are schemes being set up to share more digital media once the ERA+ licence has been taken up.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    @torledo - I don't know if Youtube proved we can have good video, it just provided small video. The tradeoff is the severe lack of visual and audio quality compared to WM or Real.

@localzuk - Maybe it's because it's only legal for you to watch it, not for people outside the UK.
    Er, flash video IS good video, it's even better with a third party encoder and the sorenson flash codec. I'd rather have the near instantaneous playback/buffering, ubiquity and cross platform support of flash video and put up with the slightly inferior quality when it comes to web delivery.
    FLV has won the war.

Not sure why bbc have gone down the DRM route, it seems the thing to do for content providers :x What bugs me is providers like the bbc insisting on a miminum of WM10 for wm playback. I'm still on WM9 and I think it's the best media player, WM11 is a big no no...I'll never go near it, or Vista for that matter.

Thank Post

[mrforgetful wrote:]
    > I don't know if Youtube proved we can have good video, it just
    > provided small video. The tradeoff is the severe lack of visual and audio
    > quality compared to WM or Real.

I think YouTube has proved that, for a wide range of uses, small video is just fine. Sure, bigger/better/faster/louder is nice, but a small YouTube video is acceptable. This is why DRM to protect DVDs will simply never work - even if the DRM encoding actually worked, someone interested in copying a movie could always simply point a video camera at a TV screen.

I've not done much with Flash video (I'm still on Studio MX 2004 - must get around to upgrading before the upgrade fees between versions totally skyrocket), but I figure that a web/Flash-based video editor should be workable. Something basic like Windows Movie Maker, with Flash doing the user interface and the server doing the rendering, should be possible.

> Maybe it's because it's only legal for you to watch it, not for people
    > outside the UK.

I understood that the BBC were limiting connections to UK-based IP addresses only, although exactly how well such a systems works I'm not sure.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by gwendes
    UKNova falls into quite a grey area. Copyrighted material is still protected and you are not legally entitled to record from the TV.
    So i pay 120 quid a year and i am not allowed to record the tv? Something is wrong with that.

Matt

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Excellent, works really well and instant streaming!

Now all we have to do is stop the kids watching top gear in lessons!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information