+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Stop Calling Teachers 'Miss' Or 'Sir', Pupils Are Told - Telegraph in General; ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,347 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries

Stop Calling Teachers 'Miss' Or 'Sir', Pupils Are Told - Telegraph

Link: Stop calling teachers 'Miss' or 'Sir', pupils are told - Telegraph

Traditional teachers’ titles such as “Sir” and “Miss” should be consigned to history because they discriminate against women, according to academics.

Pupils should be encouraged to use teachers’ first names to bring schools up-to-date and ensure children are not exposed “to the prejudices of the previous generation”, it was claimed...
    Our students are expected to use 'Sir' and 'Ma'am' [The latter often sounds like 'Mum']

I would not like students to use my forename: It just seems odd somehow.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Are female teachers actually that bothered if they are addressed Miss, Ms, Mrs or Ma'am? I don't think any of ours mind being called Miss (unless they are a Dr).

If Miss isn't suitable, then perhaps we should switch to using Ms (a default form of address for women regardless of their marital status)?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Our students are expected to use 'Sir' and 'Ma'am'
    Doesn't Ma'am discriminate against women too? At what age do you stop using Ma'am and start using Madam?

... "madam" tends to only be used when addressing the elderly, with "ma'am" being used for a younger woman. (Source)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    It just seems odd somehow.
    It's too informal.
    Last edited by Arthur; 14th May 2014 at 08:02 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    At my governor school, students are expected to call teachers Sir or Miss.

At another school in my governor school's multi academy trust, the (female) head insists that teachers are called Mr $surname or Ms $surname and goes ballistic if she hears a female member of staff being called Mrs. She says it is demeaning to women... and, yes, she is married. When I was up there she started calling me Ms and I did not make myself popular by saying that my correct title, and the one which I was to be called, was Mrs. I probably wouldn't have been so awkward if she had been less assertive on the matter. I resisted the temptation to call her Mrs for the rest of the day!

So in answer to an earlier post, women do care which title is used. I have been married for 25 years and use my husband's surname. It ispolite to respect my choice of title and not force one on me. I am willing to similarly respect the decision of others and use what they prefer.

I will also say that I get called Miss by the students at my governor school along with the rest of the staff and don't bat an eyelid. It's fine
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 14th May 2014 at 08:28 AM.

Thank Post
    Our previous HT disliked the use of Sir or Miss and preferred the pupils to use Mr/Mrs/Miss. Our new SENCO likes the pupils in her domain to use Sir or Miss and does so herself. I've just about got used to her calling me Sir. Funny thing is that the SEN kids seem more comfortable using Sir or Miss.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mixed feelings on this one. I think it just seems difficult to comprehend as the majority of us know no different. The majority of primary schools I deal with (and from what I remember of infant/junior myself) it was always Mr/Mrs Surname, and in secondary it was always Sir/Miss. However, the kids in primaries often refer to me by first name which I don't mind at all. To teachers though it may be different.
    Some of our 6th form refer to us (ICT Support) by first name; I don't mind that at all bearing in mind some of them are more mature than some staff! It's still creepy when anyone younger does though (they do, and we don't like it) and I believe it should be maintained as Sir/Miss to help maintain respect and discipline. They are in fact still children and the lack of respect/discipline is more than evident in modern life, we don't need an excuse to make any of them think they're above their station or can use it for purposes of amusement.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    women do care which title is used.
    Some women don't like being called Miss
    Some women don't like being called Ms
    Some women don't like being called Mrs
    Some women don't like being called Ma'am

^ You can't please everyone.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well they have a point, @Arthur. I don't like being called Miss either, regardless of how perky my moobs are looking!

8. 12 Thanks to synaesthesia:

bencole (14th May 2014), Bompalompalomp (14th May 2014), CHR1S (14th May 2014), Davit2005 (14th May 2014), elsiegee40 (14th May 2014), featured_spectre (14th May 2014), Garacesh (14th May 2014), Gatt (14th May 2014), hallb15 (14th May 2014), hardtailstar (14th May 2014), InterwebsGuy (15th May 2014), kieransaul (14th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I don't like being called Miss either
    Me neither (unless I change my name to Martha).

If students have difficulty remembering their own passwords, how are they going to be able to remember each teachers title?

10. Thanks to Arthur from:

Zoom7000 (14th May 2014)

Thank Post
    What a bunch of clowns!!! If they have to change it, what's wrong with Sir & Ma'am like one of the schools I went to?!

It's just another step in the direction of the dissemination of complete and utter lack of respect that's already causing issues with the youth of today! (feeling old now I've said that!)...

They need a bit of common sense up at the top...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Does calling female teacher's Miss really encourage "the prejudices of the previous generation"?

I'm sure to the kids it's a sign of respect, nor prejudice, when they call a teacher "Miss" - it's a title rather than an insult, which is as much as you can ask from some teenagers!

13. Thanks to LosOjos from:

CHR1S (14th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    If students have difficulty remembering their own passwords, how are they going to be able to remember each teachers title?
    Easier remembering titles between either Sir or Miss/Mrs/Ms, than all the individual forenames... at least if a pupil can't remember a teachers surname they can get away with just Sir or Miss...

Thank Post
    At my employing school, everyone is Mr/Mrs/Miss//Ms $surname; the Head insists. The school is small and the children know everyone so the title is just part of someone's name. Our reception children have trouble with Mr and most years get caught calling a male member of staff Mrs

The exception to the title/surname rule is a Polish TA in Reception who is called Mrs Martina... her surname is difficult for the adults, let alone the children.

In secondaries there are considerably more adults and the potential for getting it wrong is far greater, hence Sir and Miss
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 14th May 2014 at 09:04 AM.

16. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

CAM (14th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What if the the teacher has a strange first name or one that can be made fun of easily by pupils? I think keeping to the formal system is better tbh.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    So in answer to an earlier post, women do care which title is used. I have been married for 25 years and use my husband's surname. It ispolite to respect my choice of title and not force one on me. I am willing to similarly respect the decision of others and use what they prefer.
    I think that is probably right, but there is an interesting contention in the context of a school where behaviour policy drives the choice of address. Do I respect the individuals choice or the choice of the institution? If I don't respect the choice of the institution, doesn't that send a message to students that behaviour policy is optional and can be ignored?

As an ordained minister in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster should I be entitled to change my title to "Reverend"?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    I think that is probably right, but there is an interesting contention in the context of a school where behaviour policy drives the choice of address. Do I respect the individuals choice or the choice of the institution? If I don't respect the choice of the institution, doesn't that send a message to students that behaviour policy is optional and can be ignored?

As an ordained minister in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster should I be entitled to change my title to "Reverend"?
    As an employee of the institution (or governor) I am prepared to stick by its standards. Hence Miss doesn't bother me and, to be honest, it never has. It is polite. Being called Miss/Ms $surname doesn't actually worry me either as, again, the person is usally trying to be polite.

What I loathe is someone telling me is that my choice of title is demeaning and that therefore I will be called a different one. Have a standard to enforce behaviour , respect and manners, but don't say that standard is because my choice of title is demeaning to me! I chose it!

20. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

pcstru (14th May 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast