+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Stop Calling Teachers 'Miss' Or 'Sir', Pupils Are Told - Telegraph in General; Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp The reason I said I'd be offended by that is because it implies I'm old(er than ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    The reason I said I'd be offended by that is because it implies I'm old(er than I am!), not because of any hatred for men.
    Well to be fair, you are old enough to be a Mrs. if you were so inclined

Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I wouldn't call any of those two games legendary.
    Whoah, whoah. Feminism discussions are risky enough, let's not get into vidya game bashing..

I actually broke up with a woman I was on a third date with because she kept calling guys who she didn't like that.
    Wait. 'Dudebros' is a bad term? When you said it up there I took it to just be a convoluted 'ultra cool' combination of 'dude' and 'bro' that the 'hip' kids were using (and not realising how daft they sounded).. Kind of like 'broski'
    Last edited by Garacesh; 14th May 2014 at 01:45 PM.

Thank Post
    I wouldn't call any of those two games legendary.
    Hmmmmm.
    Stop Calling Teachers 'Miss' Or 'Sir', Pupils Are Told - Telegraph-16bc051a39836eb749659b1ff6ad667160d5f482cc0fd0564b02e10d5bc88d76.jpg

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing I will say is that the gaming world needs to seriously crack down on misogyny. The communities I'm a part of bring the hammer down without thought at any abusive messages. However, that does not apply to mere camaraderie between males and females who will both equally abuse everyone else.

Companies like Microsoft and Sony have a big role to play in this crackdown, by handling complaints properly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    If you think about it - it isn't fair to have an honorific which identifies you as married or not - it is a throwback to the days when women's future lay with marriage and a man. You may not think it matters overmuch, but I think you will see that it isn't really right.
    Same as changing your maiden name. I don't see the point in it and would rather my wife, when that time comes, keep her family name. But it's all matters of opinion. Some people see it as commemorating the two families becoming one through the marriage of their relatives (in which case, double-barrelled surnames are probably more appropriate, but those irritate me for no discernible reason) and others see it as an outdated tradition of the woman becoming the man's property.

When I was younger I did used to wonder why there wasn't a married 'Mr' and a single 'Mr'. When I asked, nobody could ever really give me a straight answer. I guess maybe I was too young at the time for "Well, society used to be sexist as , so Mrs. was to denote she was married and so other men knew she was someone's property.".. Even now I'm only just realising "Mrs" is very similar to "Mr's" (As in that belongs to Dean. That's Dean's)
    Last edited by Garacesh; 14th May 2014 at 01:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts
    Young men up until adulthood were sometimes known as Master but that was just an age thing rather than a marital-status thing

I compromised when I got married - I used my married name when dealing with anything to do with the children or the family but my single name when at work and with personal finance etc. Slowly as the children have grown up it has all fallen away and now I am only Mrs xxx to the doctor and my governor school. MrwITch doesn't give a stuff what I call myself. In other countries they have different systems where the woman keeps her name anyway

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is it legally allowed for a man to take a woman's surname after marriage? They'd probably have to make a means for that in law with same-sex marriage anyway.

Thank Post
    Good question! Haven't actually ever thought of that.. Mainly because as I mentioned I'm against either party changing their name. I'll keep mine and I would not take issue if she (whoever she is ) wants to keep hers.
    If she wanted to take mine, I would be okay with that. But I wouldn't ask her to.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Slightly on topic:

Just went out to get some lunch, on the way a Y7 said to me: "alright sir! Are you a sir?" [I assume he was trying to find out if I'm a teacher, rather than my gender...]

He looked totally dumbstruck by my response, "unfortunately I am not yet a knight of the Queen's realm."

9. Thanks to LosOjos from:

abillybob (14th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is it legally allowed for a man to take a woman's surname after marriage? They'd probably have to make a means for that in law with same-sex marriage anyway.
    Oh no... I can just see someone turning round to ask "which one of you is the man/woman"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Political correctness gone mad! In my opinion a teacher should be addressed more formally than with their christian name. They deserve the respect a title denotes. If a school faculty cant manage to teach the students to use a correct title when addressing members of staff what chance does that school have in teaching its subjects.

Thank Post
    I think deep down it would hurt me if my other half decided she didn't want to take my last name, I think it's a sign of commitment and loyalty but maybe I'm just old fashioned. Although I would like to point out I'd never force her too it's her decision at the end of the day but I would be a little hurt! Bit silly I know.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I think deep down it would hurt me if my other half decided she didn't want to take my last name, I think it's a sign of commitment and loyalty but maybe I'm just old fashioned. Although I would like to point out I'd never force her too it's her decision at the end of the day but I would be a little hurt! Bit silly I know.
    On the flip side, would you consider taking hers if she didn't want to change?

Thank Post
    I wouldn't wish my last name upon any poor soul, but at the same time I wouldn't want to lose it! Double-barrelled for me, if I liked the ring of it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    On the flip side, would you consider taking hers if she didn't want to change?
    Hmmmmm I would if I liked the name, her last name is Cadwallader so just because I don't like it probably not but I would consider it if she had a shorter and nicer last name This is not me being nasty either she knows all this haha! I wouldn't have any issue doing so if I liked her last name. I think it also stems back to her family who IMO are a bit rough around the edges and not very pleasant again she knows I think this and so does she sometimes, so to carry on her farthers name is something I just don't think I could do due to personal experiences.
    This may have made me sound like a snob but there are reasons. But if all that weren't true I got on well with her family and her last name was slightly shorter then yes I wouldn't have an issue with it!

Thank Post
    I wouldn't wish my last name upon any poor soul, but at the same time I wouldn't want to lose it! Double-barrelled for me, if I liked the ring of it.
    It's not your username is it?

"I now declare you.. Mr.Mrs. and Mrs. Bompalompalomp."

Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I would consider it if she had a shorter and nicer last name This is not me being nasty either
    Of course not - everybody has their own preference. We can all like or dislike things, so long as we're not rude about them.
    My point being, if you would be disappointed for her not to take your name, what if she felt you should take hers? (I assume you'd compromise and keep your own names, of course, my point being you can't 'expect' her to do it)
    Last edited by Garacesh; 14th May 2014 at 02:47 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast