+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Stop Calling Teachers 'Miss' Or 'Sir', Pupils Are Told - Telegraph in General; Originally Posted by pcstru When there is dispute over the meaning of a word, the dictionary is usually credited an ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,972 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    When there is dispute over the meaning of a word, the dictionary is usually credited an authoritative source by sensible folks. If you don't regard the dictionary as an authority then there is no possibility of discussion because you will use words as you want - they will mean what you want them to mean and how can anyone have a meaningful discussion with such a person? It simply won't be possible to even know what they are talking about - ask Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    But we're talking about a rapidly changing subject - equality. Meanings of things change quickly, but the dictionary doesn't. The meaning of a word now can be very different to how it is used in a year's time. Especially when you consider "popular usage" which ends up being dictated by the media and their usage.

Thank Post
    I WISH I was called Sir or Mr $lastname, but the damm kids know my nickname

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    I WISH I was called Sir or Mr $lastname, but the damm kids know my nickname
    In Soviet Russia jokes just got a little darker..
    Last edited by Garacesh; 14th May 2014 at 01:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    In Soviet Russia jokes just got a little darker..
    LMAO - You may refer to me as Dictator

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    But we're talking about a rapidly changing subject - equality. Meanings of things change quickly, but the dictionary doesn't. The meaning of a word now can be very different to how it is used in a year's time. Especially when you consider "popular usage" which ends up being dictated by the media and their usage.
    The discussion at that point was whether the use of the word Misogyny was appropriate to discrimination. I supported my use by referring to an authoritative source, the Oxford English dictionary. Where do you think I should go for an authoritative source on what words actually mean? You seem to be suggesting that I regard your opinion as more of an authority than the dictionary! I have a lot of respect for you - but that is frankly risible.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,107 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The discussion at that point was whether the use of the word Misogyny was appropriate to discrimination. I supported my use by referring to an authoritative source, the Oxford English dictionary. Where do you think I should go for an authoritative source on what words actually mean? You seem to be suggesting that I regard your opinion as more of an authority than the dictionary! I have a lot of respect for you - but that is frankly risible.
    IIRC, your definition was added to the dictionary in 2012 because of some sort of shenanigans. [CBA to look, too busy]

It's newspeak. By calling everything "misogyny", you're trying to shut down any dissent.

You're part of the problem people have with feminists.

Thank Post
    Well, I have no idea how this tangent started and I'm slightly disappointed that it didn't end after "positive discrimination is bad and feminists are not those people I see calling guys dudebros".

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    As a woman I am annoyed by feminism. *gasp* I'm sure I shall be tarred and feathered by the broadsheet brigade shortly. The roots of feminism and the feminist movement from the suffragettes through to equality in the workplace are not what I'm referring to (although it also annoys me that it was even needed in the first place). What gets me riled up though is the way people hide behind labels like 'Feminist' to justify their vilification of a group or thing. I don't understand why 'Equalist' even needs to be a thing. How did our society get so screwed up that we went from interdependent cave people to complete and utter subjugation of the female gender to the point where women have to FIGHT for their right to do the same things as males?

As a female gamer I find myself generically irritated by the 'he' reference when gaming. People automatically assume that because I'm playing WoW I must be male. I make a point of never assuming gender when I game. Instead of saying 'He needs to XYZ' I'll say '$AVATAR/$ROLE needs to do XYZ' so 'He needs to CC the mobs' becomes 'The mage needs to polymorph that mob' or 'Pewpewmachine needs to tank the boss facing away from the raid'. I don't see why others can't adjust their thinking to do this.
    TBH, when it comes to games if you throw a dart at a crowded server you will probably stand more chance of hitting a male gamer then a female one. Simply because there are lots of them, especially in titles like Call of Duty or Battlefield (Because 13yo Chugging Mountain Dew Doritos Bro!). When it comes to titles like WoW where a character has a gender, I usually refer to the character with gender pronouns instead of the player. My old guild leader was always referred to as she because they had a female character, even though I knew this didn't reflect the player behind the avatar who is male.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    Well, I have no idea how this tangent started and I'm slightly disappointed that it didn't end after "positive discrimination is bad and feminists are not those people I see calling guys dudebros".
    Conversation changes, it's healthy and gets everyone talking when there is a debate like this! Nothing wrong with it and you shouldn't be disappointed. This is all kind of the same subject the fact that Women can be called Miss, Mrs, Madam, feminists look to far into these things and then cause more havoc than the problem is worth "making a mountain out of molehills as the girlfriend says"

Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    TBH, when it comes to games if you throw a dart at a crowded server you will probably stand more chance of hitting a male gamer then a female one. Simply because there are lots of them, especially in titles like Call of Duty or Battlefield (Because 13yo Chugging Mountain Dew Doritos Bro!). When it comes to titles like WoW where a character has a gender, I usually refer to the character with gender pronouns instead of the player. My old guild leader was always referred to as she because they had a female character, even though I knew this didn't reflect the player behind the avatar who is male.

You mentioned COD etc... I can't believe noone mentions the legendary games like Rust or CSGO..... You have just made a new enemy [/Sarcasm]

Stop Calling Teachers 'Miss' Or 'Sir', Pupils Are Told - Telegraph-wljm9q.jpg
    Last edited by abillybob; 14th May 2014 at 01:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    I don't think I see anyone ever calling guys 'dudebros' xD

With regard to @pcstru vs @localzuk - I present to you... "Literally."
    Case dismissed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,972 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That would be absurd, having me as an authority. However, my comment earlier was that I would not use that word to describe our country, as it is is mostly used to scream hatred at men now.

So, it is more of a case of the perceptions words present due to their current and most popular usage.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Conversation changes, it's healthy and gets everyone talking when there is a debate like this! Nothing wrong with it and you shouldn't be disappointed. This is all kind of the same subject the fact that Women can be called Miss, Mrs, Madam, feminists look to far into these things and then cause more havoc than the problem is worth "making a mountain out of molehills as the girlfriend says"
    The reason I said I'd be offended by that is because it implies I'm old(er than I am!), not because of any hatred for men.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You mentioned COD etc... I can't believe noone mentions the legendary games like Rust or CSGO..... You have just made a new enemy [/Sarcasm]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wljm9q.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	24435
    I wouldn't call any of those two games legendary.

- - - Updated - - -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wljm9q.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	24435
    I wouldn't call any of those two games legendary.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    I don't think I see anyone ever calling guys 'dudebros' xD

With regard to @pcstru vs @localzuk - I present to you... "Literally."
    Case dismissed.
    I actually broke up with a woman I was on a third date with because she kept calling guys who she didn't like that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Feminism: "the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes"

That's it

You can be a feminist and be a bloke. You can be a feminist and believe in equal rights for men as well.

Please do not dismiss feminism because of the actions of some people who say they are feminists, any more than you would hate all muslims because of the few terrorists or similar

Those of you who are younger may not understand what women went through (much like the racism/gingerism thread tbh) but women have always had to fignt for their place in society.
    The fact that many of you are talking about just wanting things to be equal is great and shows how far we have come, but it really isn't very long ago when people believed that women should defer to men in all things (hence the "obey" in the original marriage service)
    If you think about it - it isn't fair to have an honorific which identifies you as married or not - it is a throwback to the days when women's future lay with marriage and a man. You may not think it matters overmuch, but I think you will see that it isn't really right.

16. 2 Thanks to witch:

Bompalompalomp (14th May 2014), pcstru (14th May 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast