+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Stop Calling Teachers 'Miss' Or 'Sir', Pupils Are Told - Telegraph in General; Originally Posted by Ephelyon Here the teaching staff refer to each other as Sir/Miss or Mr/Miss in front of the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    Here the teaching staff refer to each other as Sir/Miss or Mr/Miss in front of the pupils interchangeably here. We're in an area where Mrs sounds like Miss anyway and no-one seems to mind.

However, they refer to myself and my Technician by our forenames; consequently, so do the kids. The new Head isn't at all keen on this, but it doesn't look like it's going to stop.
    It was exactly the same here, until a member of SLT called me by my first name in front of all the kids so I responded in kind... not to be awkward, but it does eat away at the respect the students have for us; if they're not expected to call us by title, as they have to with teachers, they surmise that we mustn't be as important as the teachers. Needless to say, she always calls me "Sir/Mr" in front of kids now!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 14th May 2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: More errors, I have to wake up :doh:

Thank Post
    Ridiculous idea - no way should students be using staff's first names. As has been said, whatever happened to staff keeping an appropriate distance from pupils?

With regards to the Mr/Sir/Mrs/Miss debate, teachers spend a great deal of time and effort to learn the names of the many students they teach, so is it really too much to ask of the students that they bother to learn the proper title and surname for their own teachers?

To me, Sir/Miss is just laziness and is almost disrespectful in itself - that the student didn't show enough respect to learn your name.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Is it really too much to expect the staff to learn the proper title and surname for their own IT tech?
    Apparently it is...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    To me, Sir/Miss is just laziness and is almost disrespectful in itself - that the student didn't show enough respect to learn your name.
    You honestly think that calling someone Sir and Miss as is disrespectful, I'm quite shocked I always thought it was very polite and professional. I don't think it's laziness I think you'll find a lot of students will know a lot of teachers first names, it's just about showing members of staff respect. I'm fairly shocked you have said that I haven't come across a single person before that think the title Sir/Miss is disrespectful and lazy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Is it really too much to expect the staff to learn the proper title and surname for their own IT tech?
    Apparently it is...
    Don't forget that IT Techs are not equal to teachers...

Before I get battered I'm being sarcastic, having worked for 7 years as one!

Thank Post
    I work at a Quaker school and in keeping with the Quaker ethos of 'plain speech' and 'Equality' no one in the school is expected to make reference to anyone's title, be it Sir, Miss, Mrs, Dr, or anything.
    The new pupils from other schools sometimes still use Miss/Sir but pupils who have been here a term transition quite quickly to using the forenames or sometimes forename and surname of staff members.

I don't this this shows a lack of respect on the part of pupils, after all a name is simply a way of verbally distinguishing one person from another it does not serve as the source of some mystical name based respect - respect between adults and children must be earned as much as is true between adults and adults.

I refer to my line manager using his first name, also to the head teacher, never once has this caused me to confuse their position of authority.
    coming from a person who has been in a place which has done away with titles, my opinion is that it doesn't change a thing - I much prefer people using my name rather than Sir.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    It was exactly the same here, until a member of SLT called me by my first name in front of all the kids so I responded in kind... not to be awkward, but it does eat away at the respect the students have for us; if they're not expected to call us by title, as they have to with teachers, they surmise that we mustn't be as important as the teachers. Needless to say, she always calls me "Sir/Mr" in front of kids now!
    I get this from various members of staff and I reply in kind - its never been a problem. The only time I draw the line is when a member of staff sends a pupil to the computer man/IT Bloke/Technician etc. I find that worse than Firstname/surname/Title for some reason!

The whole Sir/Madam, Mr/Miss/Ms/Mrs is kind of all the same to me and interchangeable (obviously where appropriate!)

Thank Post
    I really think there are far more important things for schools to be concentrating their time on than this....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    I really think there are far more important things for schools to be concentrating their time on than this....
    And possibly ICT Technicians

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    You honestly think that calling someone Sir and Miss as is disrespectful, I'm quite shocked I always thought it was very polite and professional. I don't think it's laziness I think you'll find a lot of students will know a lot of teachers first names, it's just about showing members of staff respect. I'm fairly shocked you have said that I haven't come across a single person before that think the title Sir/Miss is disrespectful and lazy
    I'm sure the students could come up with more fruitful names!

Thank Post
    I get called all sorts of things, unless its rude or offensive Im not too worried.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Apparently it is...
    A school Governor who was arranging an annual event at school many years ago referred to me, when talking to my line manager, as "...your boy..." [As in: "...get your boy to do that..."]

The same Governor clicked his fingers at me in an attempt to get my attention. Unhappy at this behaviour [with students in the room] I reported the incident to my line manager. The incident was dismissed with a laugh and no action was taken.

It's just RUDE!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    However, they refer to myself and my Technician by our forenames; consequently, so do the kids. The new Head isn't at all keen on this, but it doesn't look like it's going to stop.
    thats similar to my take on it i address staff members as mr/miss/mrs $surname$ when kids are around not so much if its an empty room then i will use $firsname$. But i dont like being called mr stead by kids (and im not keen on it outside school tbh). To a degree i much prefer the kids to call me Jonathan as it separates me from the teachers as im not there to "control" the kids and by using just my first name im subtly trying to get that across. As i have no real authority over the kids and as i work in different schools all the time they know me a lot better than i know them (i honestly cant think of a single kids name but its not unusual for kids to go hello Jonathan while im in the school or even asda and make me have to try and think who on earth are you lol). I also dont really want to be asked by the kids the sort of questions they ask teachers (though if one of them wants to ask it/gaming related questions etc and i have nothing better to do and nor do they thats fine)even things like can i go to the toilet because for all i know that kid just wants to get out of a lesson and knows im just going to allow it whereas their teacher would tell them no or at least give them the standard you should of gone at dinner/playtime lecture

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    A school Governor who was arranging an annual event at school many years ago referred to me, when talking to my line manager, as "...your boy..." [As in: "...get your boy to do that..."]

The same Governor clicked his fingers at me in an attempt to get my attention. Unhappy at this behaviour [with students in the room] I reported the incident to my line manager. The incident was dismissed with a laugh and no action was taken.

It's just RUDE!
    Two missed opportunities there.

Clicking should have been followed by more with accompanying tune 'Bring me Sunshine'.

Boy should have been met with 'I'll go get my boat, hold on' and walked out the room.

15. Thanks to GREED from:

DaveP (14th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Apparently it is...
    Yes, fair point

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently it is...
    Yes, fair point

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast