+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
General Chat Thread, Stop Calling Teachers 'Miss' Or 'Sir', Pupils Are Told - Telegraph in General; Originally Posted by CAM Hmmm, what server type? I play on an RP server in WoW which could go some ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Hmmm, what server type? I play on an RP server in WoW which could go some way to explaining it.
    I used to play on PvE and saw it all the time...

Thank Post
    To be fair, whilst playing DOTA, if it's a pug who we don't know, I'll refer to them by Steam ID or Hero name. If that here is a female, then the player is She. If the hero is male, the player is He. If the hero is Io, well.. sh.

"We totally won that game because of Invoker. His sunstrikes were dead-on!"
    "Hey, don't look at me, blame P.A. She's too busy farming still to get involved in teamfights!"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shannondinfotheek View Post
    oh my.......
    Haha... first impressions ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shannondinfotheek View Post
    oh my.......
    This is probably not the best thread to begin your Edugeek Initiation in

5. Thanks to Garacesh from:

Tesla (14th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That would be absurd, having me as an authority. However, my comment earlier was that I would not use that word to describe our country, as it is is mostly used to scream hatred at men now.

So, it is more of a case of the perceptions words present due to their current and most popular usage.
    To be honest, I think the reaction to the word is indicative of how embedded the problem actually IS. It is after all just a word and the meaning is just what it is - indicative of discrimination against women - discrimination we see evidenced in hundreds of independent statistical measures, from pay to political representation.
    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    IIRC, your definition was added to the dictionary in 2012 because of some sort of shenanigans. [CBA to look, too busy]
    Funny. Localzuk seemed to be claiming the dictionary was out of date - language moves on and all that. You are saying language moves on but the panel that decide the amendments and changes to the Oxford Dictionary based on use, are being knobbled by ... who exactly? This is a conspiracy that sounds hugely amusing. Do please tell!
    It's newspeak.
    Then it should be doubleplusgood and goodthink even for the joycamp. What was the word in oldspeak and was it thinkwise or crimethink?
    By calling everything "misogyny", you're trying to shut down any dissent.
    Really? It is just a word which is appropriate where a state of discrimination exists against *specifically* women. If using a word appropriately is trying to shut down dissent then I feel I must be onto a loser.

It is the fact that measure after measure shows a societal discrimination against women that leads me to the conclusion that there is Misogyny embedded into the social fabric of our country. And sadly *that* is the dissenting (uncommon) view, as evidenced by the views shared in this thread including your own reaction! You want to hide your head in the sand and pretend it is not happening or what's even worse, try and fob it off as a conscious decision women take - "oh well, they probably choose not to become MP's - they are too busy having babies". That is so common and yet it is just ... vapid.

As witch says - things have improved for women and are improving. But things are far from being equal and the evidence for that is in the numbers. Some women do succeed and do become CEO's, the outliers aren't evidence that there isn't a problem, they just say it's not impossible, but it is still extremely difficult and it is not the norm. I don't actually want to live in a society where a woman has to work twice as hard as a man to earn the same pay, get the same chances of promotion or consideration for election. I will know when we don't have a problem because the measures will show there is equality, no one will have to go looking for excuses or fob anyone off with the vapid bilge that is "oh well, the poor dears are probably too busy choosing to look after the children".

You're part of the problem people have with feminists.
    And I hope I am very much a problem for them.

7. Thanks to pcstru from:

witch (14th May 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011