+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Autodesk Phone call - Free software in General; Pokeball...
    Thank Post
    Pokeball

Thank Post
    Didn't get a call like that. But it sure sounds suspicious. Did you get the caller's phone number? Please share it so I can add it to my block list.
    Last edited by lisaansley; 15th May 2014 at 04:22 PM.

Thank Post
    By the way, I Googled the phone scam and 416-827-3883 - James , Toronto, ON came up along with several complaints from those who received the call. It looks like the scam has been happening for a while now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaansley View Post
    Didn't get a call like that. But it sure sounds like a scam. Did you get the scammer's phone number? Please share it so I can add it to my block list.
    By the way, I Googled the phone scam and 416-827-3883 - James , Toronto, ON came up along with several complaints from those who received the call. It looks like the scam has been happening for a while now.
    It's not a scam, as has been established...

EDIT: sorry if that sounded harsh, always suspicious of folk who sign up and post random responses and links... your response wasn't totally random but you obviously haven't read the thread. Apologies if you were trying to help!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 15th May 2014 at 04:15 PM.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post

EDIT: sorry if that sounded harsh, always suspicious of folk who sign up and post random responses and links... your response wasn't totally random but you obviously haven't read the thread. Apologies if you were trying to help!
    I did read the thread but I guess I assumed it was a scam right away. With all the scams around, I can't help but be suspicious. Besides, synaesthesia, was inclined to believe it was a scam, too. Not to mention the thread of complaints I found at Callercenter.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    I did read the thread but I guess I assumed it was a scam right away. With all the scams around, I can't help but be suspicious. Besides, synaesthesia, was inclined to believe it was a scam, too. Not to mention the thread of complaints I found at Callercenter.
    Sorry for the frosty reception - we've had a lot of spammers around lately so first/second posts with links ring alarm bells!

to EduGeek - we're friendly really

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I did mention it felt like a scam but as I said, whilst my boss was on the phone I was checking it out, and it did check out although they still need to fix the SSL on their site. The phone number was a UK one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post

P.S. This link 416-827-3883 - James , Toronto, ON I got through Google may not be connected whatsoever to the call you got. I shared it here to prove that the scammers were also using Autodesk to trick people into disclosing bank details. So it's a must that everyone remains vigilant against suspicious calls.

BJG
    Thank Post
    I only just found out about this. Here's the email response I just had from Autodesk after querying them about it.

You are correct, Autodesk provides Secondary, and Further Education institutions, teachers and students with Free access to over thirty 2D and 3D design & visualization software offerings and also makes available free training, teaching and learning resources for personal use.

To apply to download free software for your institution please visit the Autodesk Academic Resource Center by going to Overview and select the option to receive software for use in the classroom via the blue ACCESS TODAY button.

Students and teachers wishing to download free licenses of the software for use at home can access the software from Autodesk Student Community | Free Software & Resources for Education

Autodesk has partnered with the UK Design & Technology Association to support science, technology, engineering, art and maths (STEAM) education for Secondary schools, through the provision of free software and projects. To access UK specific resources and learning content please visit Overview and look under the curriculum tab.

We have additional STEAM curriculum resources available at Autodesk Digital STEAM Workshop

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Autodesk 3DS Max and Maya are amazing industry-standard products usually costing thousands of pounds per license, so it would be crazy not to give students access and alert them to free home use IMHO. I'm working to sneak some CGI into A-level Media Studies.
    Last edited by BJG; 3rd June 2014 at 08:56 AM.

Thank Post
    So its huge software that takes up gigs and gigs. Poor schools/colleges that have actually paid for it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    So its huge software that takes up gigs and gigs. Poor schools/colleges that have actually paid for it.
    Fusion 360 from Autodesk requires only 300MB http://fusion360.autodesk.com/features
    And the browser based 3D modeling apps: Design Apps | Personal Design & Creativity Tools | Autodesk

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12