+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Custom built laptops in General; Originally Posted by Alkaline They used to, now the base model comes with Intel Iris which some people say is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 978 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
    They used to, now the base model comes with Intel Iris which some people say is ok, and others not, you have to pay a bit more now for a dedicated card.
    @Alkaline - totally agree with you as I was reading reviews and iris is ok for simple games but if you are going to be playing the usual selection of games then you will need a dedicated gpu as they require a lot more power

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    It's ok but the 850 isn't great it runs with less performance than the 765m. If you're looking for build quality, well made, nice to touch, and runs perfectly when gaming, I bought an Alienware 17 which is awesome haven't found a game where it wouldn't play on highest settings with ease yet! Best purchase I have ever made so happy with it! Though the 17 won't tick all your boxes especially when wanting it to be lightweight, so I'd recommend the Alienware 14 with at least a 765m GPU. Just make sure you don't ever buy them from Alienware themselves the waiting time is ridiculous.

Buy them from a third party on eBay that's what I did, as long as you buy it new from ecomputers or something they come with Dells full warranty! Hope this helps!

4. Thanks to abillybob from:

Admiral208 (12th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Im not too bothered about playing high end games. I play a few games but mostly want it for video and photo editing and want it to be very quick for every day use, and I don't want to have to replace it for a few years.

Thank Post
    Im not too bothered about playing high end games. I play a few games but mostly want it for video and photo editing and want it to be very quick for every day use, and I don't want to have to replace it for a few years.
    I do have to say I'm yet to see a laptop which IMO beats the Alienware for build quality! One of my friends from college still has his Alienware MX18 R2 which is around 5 years old now. He's upgraded the GPU and RAM over the years but it still going very well and can play all the games mine can with no problems either. His laptop is around the 5 year old age he said he's going to keep it for 10 years and then get a new one. They're very upgrade-able and brilliant beasts! I'd seriously consider them when looking into a high performance laptop.
    Though the Alienware 14 would be good for what you are describing as it's lighter, has good build quality it would most likely not last around 5 years neither will the MSI laptop you listed as the GPU is soldered on rather than up-gradable. So if it's big to you the laptop will last you another 3+ years or so to come I'd seriously consider the Alienware 17 these can be picked up for just over £1000 from a re-seller on eBay and I guarantee will last you more than 5 years!

I should also point out the fact I had AT Computers (Apple Support) come into the school they all agreed that it was better build quality with the rubber finish, nice keyboard with backing plate support and the magnesium alloy top cover, he said "I'm surprised never thought I'd see the day a laptop would feel nicer than a MacBook Pro"
    Last edited by abillybob; 12th May 2014 at 10:05 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi James,

Thanks for considering VeryPC.

If you like, I can see what we can build given a run down of your specification? In addition we can do the MSI GE60 you spotted for £740 + VAT if that's the one you've got your heart set on.

8. Thanks to VeryPC_Colin_M from:

Thank Post
    Looks good as a mid-range gamer, but wouldn't play the latest games at top settings at native resolution. The rest of the hardware is capable - could do with an SSD plonking in there so factor that into the price.

10. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Colin_M View Post
    Hi James,

Thanks for considering VeryPC.

If you like, I can see what we can build given a run down of your specification? In addition we can do the MSI GE60 you spotted for £740 + VAT if that's the one you've got your heart set on.
    Hi @VeryPC_Colin_M

Thanks for the info.

The Specification I am after is an i7, 8 or 16GB ram, dedicated graphics, full HD 14/15 inch screen, not too heavy, decent chassis.

Can you do the MSI laptop without an OS? I already have a copy of 8.1 Pro?

Thank Post
    Hey @Admiral208 thanks for replying. Sadly the MSI is a pre-built product stocked in distribution, and not a chassis we can get barebones, so it comes as is my friend. I have the perfect laptop in mind for you and will PM you in a bit with the specification and price if that's OK? Best, Col

Thank Post
    Sony VAIO..... Mines as solid as a rock Hardware wise and build.

Unless it's something that can physically make me a cup of tea, I wont be changing mine any time soon... rather upgrading.

The new VAIO's I don't think are built as good, mines been knocked about a bit (was like that before I got it). But it's Spot on and a great work horse!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Specification I am after is an i7, 8 or 16GB ram, dedicated graphics, full HD 14/15 inch screen, not too heavy, decent chassis.

On the Refurb Front I might have a top quality Lenovo Thinkpad T510 lying about.

Quad core i7
    8GB RAM
    120GB SSD
    Full HD 15.6" Screen
    Quadro 880M 1GB Discrete GFX.

They're bloomin lovely! I'm only sad that the boss won't let me use one!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    Quadro 880M 1GB Discrete GFX.
    Didn't even know the 880m came as a 1GB version? I always thought it was 8GB GDDR5?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Didn't even know the 880m came as a 1GB version? I always thought it was 8GB GDDR5?
    You missed the Quadro bit then?

It's not a GTX, it's the nVidia Professional GFX card range, far better for video editing and CAD etc. They don't use the same naming conventions as the consumer range.

17. Thanks to ICTDirect_Dave from:

mac_shinobi (12th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Ah that makes sense never knew anything about a Quadro range, ha you learn something new everyday!

19. Thanks to abillybob from:

mac_shinobi (12th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 978 Posts

It's not a GTX, it's the nVidia Professional GFX card range, far better for video editing and CAD etc. They don't use the same naming conventions as the consumer range.
    Possibly a daft question as I know the quadro range are ( as you stated previously ) more designed for video editing / CAD etc

Is it not possible to use a GTX / Gaming type card to do the same sort of stuff or do they not fair or do as well as the quadro range ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast