+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
General Chat Thread, Does your school have an app? in General; I've been asked to look at the possibility of an app for our school. Nothing to fancy, calendar a few ...
  1. #1

    rush_tech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    1,410
    Thank Post
    111
    Thanked 265 Times in 201 Posts
    Rep Power
    194

    Does your school have an app?

    I've been asked to look at the possibility of an app for our school. Nothing to fancy, calendar a few news articles and maybe push notifications.
    Does anyone have anything similar? Which company have you used? or have you made it yourself?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    hardtailstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,822
    Thank Post
    554
    Thanked 242 Times in 212 Posts
    Rep Power
    59
    Not yet, im working on it.

    Currently using Android Studio to create it.

  3. #3
    bushby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    winchester
    Posts
    531
    Thank Post
    61
    Thanked 61 Times in 53 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    looking in to it here starting on win 8.1 as its across all the win 8.1 platforms then ios followed by android

  4. #4


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,728
    Thank Post
    993
    Thanked 377 Times in 283 Posts
    Rep Power
    217
    Curious: If they're not retailing a product or service, I find that most 'company' or 'establishment' apps just mirror the website and are a wee bit pointless. What're you doing to combat that?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Currently exploring the idea. Experimenting on xCode.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    32
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    1
    I've done a few apps for grass roots football in my spare time

  7. #7
    Galway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,363
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 310 Times in 218 Posts
    Rep Power
    101
    I think id have a rage moment if I was asked to create an app for the school.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Posts
    1,043
    Thank Post
    245
    Thanked 200 Times in 154 Posts
    Rep Power
    108
    If someone asked for that then I would ask them to think very carefully about what problem they were trying to solve with this app and the benefits of that vs. the ongoing support burden that an app could generate.

    If the app ends up just being an echo of data that's already available on the website then what is the point? And if people can't get to their email/calendar from the website, alongside dynamically updated news items via a twitter or RSS feed then why is your website from 15 years ago?

    I would suggest that simply making the website easier to use on mobile phones and tablets is probably less work than writing one app for one platform, yet would give you the benefit of being available to all kinds of users on all kinds of devices and won't require you to test and deploy app updates every time Apple, Google or Microsoft update an OS widget or two.
    Last edited by Roberto; 9th May 2014 at 11:13 AM.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    32
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    If someone asked for that then I would ask them to think very carefully about what problem they were trying to solve with this app and the benefits of that vs. the ongoing support burden that an app could generate.

    If the app ends up just being an echo of data that's already available on the website then what is the point? And if people can't get to their email/calendar from the website, alongside dynamically updated news items via a twitter or RSS feed then why is your website from 15 years ago?

    I would suggest that simply making the website easier to use on mobile phones and tablets is probably less work than writing one app for one platform, yet would give you the benefit of being available to all kinds of users on all kinds of devices and won't require you to test and deploy app updates every time Apple, Google or Microsoft update an OS widget or two.
    If it was just a mirror of the Website, it's best to make the current Website Responsive. How Important Is Responsive Design?|John Rampton

  10. #10

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,845
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,922 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Curious: If they're not retailing a product or service, I find that most 'company' or 'establishment' apps just mirror the website and are a wee bit pointless. What're you doing to combat that?
    Indeed. Editing your website so that it scales properly to work on different devices would be a better option IMO. (I say this, even though ours doesn't, but then I don't have that sort of input into the site any more... Hence some of our pages being, wait for it, embedded PDF files *shudder*).

  11. #11


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,649
    Thank Post
    275
    Thanked 780 Times in 607 Posts
    Rep Power
    224
    ^ That.

    Don't do this:


  12. 4 Thanks to pete:

    Hokalus (9th May 2014), Oaktech (9th May 2014), southhamster (12th May 2014), SteveBentley (9th May 2014)

  13. #12
    machin05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    327
    Thank Post
    21
    Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    The only advantage I can see would be utilising push notifications for important messages re school closures etc.

  14. #13

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,845
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,922 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    The only advantage I can see would be utilising push notifications for important messages re school closures etc.
    Create a Twitter account for that? Or make your news feed an RSS feed? No need for a site to implement anything special for notifications.

  15. #14
    machin05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    327
    Thank Post
    21
    Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Create a Twitter account for that? Or make your news feed an RSS feed? No need for a site to implement anything special for notifications.
    Not all parents will have twitter accounts or an RSS reader installed on their phone nor would those methods push notifications/alerts. A school app is a handy way to enable this type of communication.

  16. #15

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    32
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    Not all parents will have twitter accounts or an RSS reader installed on their phone nor would those methods push notifications/alerts. A school app is a handy way to enable this type of communication.
    Add a twitter feed widget onto the schools website.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Does your school have a website? Looks like they *all* have to now.
    By GrumbleDook in forum School ICT Policies
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 28th April 2012, 11:23 AM
  2. Does your school have a "Bells" system?
    By rad in forum General Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 5th October 2009, 11:19 PM
  3. Does your LA have an Educaiton IT Dept?
    By joe90bass in forum General Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12th August 2008, 08:05 AM
  4. How does your school use assessment manager?
    By thegrassisgreener in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19th December 2007, 10:20 AM
  5. When does your school suspend or expel a pupil?
    By pete in forum School ICT Policies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 29th November 2006, 12:43 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •