+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Has anyone tried the Juice detox? in General; I'm not one for fads - far too lazy. But just seen a post by Mayin Bialik about this and ...

Thank Post

Has anyone tried the Juice detox?

I'm not one for fads - far too lazy. But just seen a post by Mayin Bialik about this and it sounds pretty interesting.
    I don't eat nearly enough vegetables but I do like juice!

So think I will try although not sure what to do exactly...there are companies selling juices (for crazy money!) online, but can I just make my own?

And if so...what's a decent juice maker?

Sure you guys can help out on that one - so many to choose and I don't want to waste money.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    they can be good and you can lose weight, the problem comes when going back to solid foods you can just pile on the pounds quickly

Thank Post
    Are you on about the juice plus thingy? The other half is on it and the one she is on is the powder one that you mix with milk. 35g of powder per 250ml of liquid. The person who recommended it has apparently lost a load of weight but im a bit unsure about it to be fair.

Thank Post
    It's not so much about losing weight (okay a little bit - I'm not buying all new clothes in the next size up!) but I think it's a good way to have lots of vitamins - even if I just replaced lunch or something with juices.
    Just a little unsure of the concept when I see juices being sold online - don't they have to be fresh? I could just make them? I don't think it's the same one timbo as they are with milk? I have heard of those kind of things though - like Herbalife? (I know someone who distributes it - not something I've actually looked into though).

Thank Post
    Eat the fruit, much healthier than just the juice.
    You're getting all the sugar without any of the other good stuff.

I don't really get fads and detoxes, they just part of yo-yo dieting culture, glennda is right in that you'll likely lose weight but put it back on again.

Just eat a clean diet high in meat and veg, and cut the processed rubbish. Dropping grains from your diet will be the biggest thing you can do and is long term personally sustainable unlike juice fasting.

Thank Post
    Yeah but I think the idea is that you don't have fruit juices but more vegetables and greens such as kale etc. things which I anyway, rarely get into my cooking through lack of time and laziness. As I said, it's not a case of losing weight, but more a case of putting more 'good' things into my diet. I could drop grains, you're right - but I know I won't suddenly start preparing leafy vegetables to eat in their place.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Fruit juices are loaded with sugar and you shouldn't drink too much of them. Veggie juices are much better but a little bit less tasty. It is a good way to get your 5 (or is it 7 or 10) a day. BUT it isn't a long-term strategy and as has been said, the weight is likely to go back on.
    Replacing one meal a day with a juice is a better way - it will kick start your weight loss without being extreme and you will be able to sustain the loss when you go back to a healthy meal choice.
    Most juicers are fine - mine is a braun but tbf I got it off Freecycle so it didn't cost me anything. Have a look on there or maybe Gumtree for a second- hand one.
    I know giving up grains is a good thing ( and it is "protein and veg" @Greenbeast, not necessarily "meat and veg") but I have never managed it for very long - can't live without toast!

Thank Post
    Ok - so are grains things like pasta and bread? I'm don't eat meat so can't just eat chicken like everyone else who tries to 'healthy eat'. I like that idea @witch - I think I will do that. So now to invest in a juicer. I'm hoping someone at work can lend me one (incase the novelty wears off - I can just give it back then!).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    ( and it is "protein and veg" @Greenbeast, not necessarily "meat and veg")
    ha ha fair enough, we won't get into the whole vegetarian debate

Quote Originally Posted by Novalee View Post
    Ok - so are grains things like pasta and bread? I'm don't eat meat so can't just eat chicken like everyone else who tries to 'healthy eat'. I like that idea @witch - I think I will do that. So now to invest in a juicer. I'm hoping someone at work can lend me one (incase the novelty wears off - I can just give it back then!).
    yes pasta and bread, wheat essentially, I would say is a key thing to drop, for many reasons, one primary one being that it is the main constituent of many unhealthy snacks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    But crisps are made of potato so they are alright, yes?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Outside of the medical definition of detox from drugs, alcohol or the like, the term "detox" for a diet makes no sense. What are you detoxing from? Your body handles disposal of things it doesn't want or need pretty well.

Have a read of this - The Detox Scam: How to spot it, and how to avoid it « Science-Based Medicine

If you simply want to eat better, great. Don't focus on juice - as others have said, juices are full of sugars but none of the "good stuff" (dietary fibre, many of the vitamins etc...). Eat more veg than fruit (unless you want to ruin your teeth through acidic fruit and sugar).

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    yes pasta and bread, wheat essentially, I would say is a key thing to drop, for many reasons, one primary one being that it is the main constituent of many unhealthy snacks
    You might want to take a look at this in regard to wheat. I lost 4 stone by cutting out wheat a few years a go.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Novalee View Post
    I have one if you want for a fiver. Picked it up a couple of years ago, my daughter loved it but the novelty wore off and it's been in the cupboard taking up space since.

Thank Post
    I would assess what your goals are. Why do you want to do this? You don't need to "detox" your body it already has organs dedicated to that which do a fantastic job. If you are trying to lose weight I wouldn't recommend it either as simply cutting down your calories if far easier and you will feel fuller eating food rather than juice. If it just to be healthier running and weightlifting 3 times a week will do much more for you than drinking liters of sugar.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Eat healthy, join a dance class....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast