+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Eurovision, Nil Points in General; People care about this?...
    Thank Post
    People care about this?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't know what's worse, Eurovision or the killjoys complaining about it every year. It entertained me for the evening (with Twitter's help!) so I call it a success. I guess next we shouldn't have an extensive football league because it's blokes kicking a ball around or never should have had the Olympics as it is just people running round a track.

Some of the stage acts are pathetic but that along with the politics is part of the show. As for the music, I think it was much higher quality this year. Netherlands were excellent.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Eurovision, for me, serves only as a reminder as to how immature and childish humans in large groups are. It's abominable, watching supposedly grown people behave like playground kiddies, ignoring the supposed "bring us all togetherness" and "music" for the sake of money and politics. The event itself can be a bit of fun, seeing some of the outfits, a few actual hints of talent, the sarcasm from Terry (or Norton, but I haven't seen any EV with Graham yet). Laughable even more as this year they had apparently changed the voting rules and yet nothing actually changed?
    I think you need to get the 'spirit' of the Eurovision Song Contest to appreciate it. Its the ultimate in pithy and sarcy entertainment. I don't think anyone on there is really taking it seriously. Personally I can't stand it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Netherlands were excellent! I picked them as my non-british nation this year (on account of me happening to be wearing an orange t-shirt on the night) and I was suitably chuffed.

It's definitely a love-hate event. I love it because I find it genuinely funny, and just occasionally you get a Lordi moment.

I also enjoyed the fact that the audience was clued up enough to boo Russia this year (they deserve it for sending a pair of 17 year old girls to sing 'just give us some love' shortly after destabilising a chunk of the world)

All in a pretty good night.

Thank Post
    The highlight of the evening was Michael Barrymore's attempts at livetweeting it http://twitter.com/MrBarrymore

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Did it irritate anyone else that France was the only country not to deliver their votes in English? The point of everyone using English is a good chunk of the population of Europe understand it, the French bucking the trend stank of arrogance to me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In my personal opinion, Austria only won because of the stance they have now with Russia, how they feel about LGBT issues and got sympathy votes in a contest that really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Honestly, Poland of Netherlands should have won based on performance alone.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Did it irritate anyone else that France was the only country not to deliver their votes in English? The point of everyone using English is a good chunk of the population of Europe understand it, the French bucking the trend stank of arrogance to me.
    Wound me up too... and then they finished with a grand total of 2.

9. Thanks to SiliconAlley_Sam from:

LosOjos (12th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not really, France just annoy me in general. We had fun noting how many more points than france the UK got. What did annoy me was that most acts avoided singing in their native tongue. I much prefer that as they're usually able to carry more emotion or at the very least understanding of what it is they're singing about.

Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    In my personal opinion, Austria only won because of the stance they have now with Russia, how they feel about LGBT issues and got sympathy votes in a contest that really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Netherlands were great. For me the best song, but then I think Austria were brill too. It could've been a Bond theme! Poland? Don't make me laugh, suggestively churning butter whilst some woman shouts lots and winks at the camera, definitely a load of rubbish (and that woman had clearly never used a washboard in her life!)
    Last edited by ICTDirect_Dave; 12th May 2014 at 11:17 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Eurovision is primarily politics and I have to say, I think it was good that Austria won. The performance wasn't the best by a long shot, but in a political game showing support for LGBT is positive. It's not going to change the world but it is a sign that things are progressing at least, especially after somecountires talked about pulling out of the competition all together in protest at having a transgender contestant.

Poland's entry was disgraceful, the polar opposite of progress!

12. Thanks to LosOjos from:

SiliconAlley_Sam (12th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    the French bucking the trend stank of arrogance to me.
    Is that better or worse than stinking of cheese, garlic and surrender?

[It's a joke. Calm down.]

Thank Post
    Eurovision is primarily politics and I have to say, I think it was good that Austria won. The performance wasn't the best by a long shot, but in a political game showing support for LGBT is positive. It's not going to change the world but it is a sign that things are progressing at least, especially after somecountires talked about pulling out of the competition all together in protest at having a transgender contestant.
    This. So much this. It was amazing to see Europe get behind a transgender contestant in such a big way. Fantastic not just for the LGBT community but for equality in general. That's progress for you. The song may not have been the best (loved The Netherlands) but the win for Austria put a huge smile on my face!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Interesting, but if you go and look around the internet there are some LGBT communities who are not happy that the Austrian describes her/himself as transgender. They are saying that a true transgender wants to be the opposite sex to the one they were born as - and so, why does s/he have a beard? Women don't generally have beards and if you want to be a woman, why would you have one?
    I only saw the song after she had won - presumably she sang it better the first time around?
    Why the female presented was wearing a dress that didn't fit her and was supremely unflattering, I can't imagine

Thank Post
    One of the funniest part of the night is when the host ambush Graham Norton.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Forgot to mention that the very funniest part of the night for me was the little sketch about the museum of eurovision, and Lordii incinerating a room full of children. That bit had us all in stiches.

I did enjoy the ambush of Graham Norton, and liked the idea that the host was talking chineese all night primarily to sitch up Graham.

18. Thanks to ICTDirect_Dave from:

SiliconAlley_Sam (12th May 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast