+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Stumbling Block in General; Hi all, Hope someone can offer some advice. My wife is trying to better herself, up-to now she's been a ...
    Thank Post

Stumbling Block

Hi all,

Hope someone can offer some advice.

My wife is trying to better herself, up-to now she's been a stay at home wife looking after the kids, Our daughter is nearly 3 and my son is coming up 1. She's trying to do it now ready for the kids going to nursery/school full time.

My darling wife had been invited to play group with the kids by a health visitor, the one who checks the kids out once in a while, see how they are doing and such like.
    Playgroup starts at 9AM, so my wife got the kids ready and out by 8:30, place is only up the road - when she arrives she's told she can't stay because our daughter is too old and our son is to young!!!, the advisor's advised her why not try the other playgroup round the corner.... once she arrives she's told again that Upstairs is older kids (2 upwards) and younger ones downstairs (1 and below), problem here is she doesn't want to leave either one alone, A) Daughter is potty training and B) little fella doesn't like being left on his own without mum and doesn't like strangers.

So my wife has got home feeling a bit fed up really, thinking could she start her own creche, or her own playgroup ? Has anyone got any thoughts or facts about this ? Shes thinking of writing to the council to see what they suggest.

Has anyone else hit stumbling blocks regarding Child Care ? Wifey has also been offered a place on a course for Social Working - I say do it while you can.... but again what to do about the kiddies ??

Any advice ?

Thanks all.

Thank Post
    3 words:
    Public Liability Insurance

If she's starting a creche then she will need liability out of the proverbial. My ex partner was looking into starting something like this as she's absolutely amazing with children but unfortunately it never got off the ground. Best of luck to your wife!

3. Thanks to Garacesh from:

cpjitservices (6th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My auntie runs her own creche (in Wandsworth, if that makes any difference). I can ask her what's involved, if you like.
    I will tell you this, though - as the owner and principal, the hours are looooooooonnnnnng and holidays are virtually never. Bear this in mind.

5. Thanks to jinnantonnixx from:

Thank Post
    Hmmmm, pretty sure my wifes not had this problem, my two were 1 and 2.5 and they could go to the same play groups.

Anyway she asked on facebook - local groups good info from people who belong to "buy,sell,free" facebook sites, church groups (not religious but just held there)

Starting your own creche/group "may" pose some H&S, insurance issues - i don't know though.

Our local surestart centre had quite a few groups also.

7. Thanks to mole from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not only the PLC, she will need to have relevant training done, paediatric first aid, child care to level 3 (to start your own its a minimum requirement in most authorities) and possibly registration to the Early Years Foundation Stage. Also, for people to notice it, she would need to register for Ofsted.

Now that is thought about, she will need the following:

Safeguarding procedures, written information on how to make a complaint, risk assessments, equal opportunities policy for employment, accident records and childrens medicines (which should NEVER be given to a child without parental consent), information for parents (such as a handbook about the place), information by parents (such as recommendations), suitable premises, suitable environment, toys and activities, SEN policy. Opening hours - usually between 7am - 6:30pm, as parents may require someone to look after at any point in those hours.

It isn't a light thought, if you want to go ahead, I have a document which our local creche provided for us for when my mum was looking into it.

9. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Safeguarding
    Safeguarding policy
    Complaints policy and log
    Missing or uncollected child procedure
    Policy and procedure on administration of medicines and
    first aid - accident records, first aid recording
    Suitable people/Suitable Premises
    No smoking policy
    Behaviour management policy
    SEN policy
    Recruitment and selection policies and procedures
    -CRB, ISA, References
    Organisation Documentation
    Induction, qualifications and training
    Health and Safety policy
    Risk assessments
    Public Liability Insurance
    Emergency evacuation procedures
    Equality of opportunity policy
    Register of attendance
    Other records such as child protection concerns

Thats what was just emailed too me by my mum, as she had that list on her machine, but the document is still too be found, but this was the basic check list.

11. 2 Thanks to nephilim:

cpjitservices (6th May 2014), Garacesh (7th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Get in touch with the Preschool Learning Alliance they can help you with all you need to consider AND if you become a member you can get your PLI through them too and a very good rate.

I used to be Treasurer then Chair of our local Preschool (incidentally we'd have taken both of them together no problem)

13. Thanks to Bananas from:

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone for your sound advice as always, I'l have a chat with my lady wife later on and see what she thinks!!

Thank all - Have a great week!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread