+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Desert Island Discographies in General; You have 8 - named artists, no room for compilations. You should say what they are. You should say something ...

Thank Post

Desert Island Discographies

You have 8 - named artists, no room for compilations. You should say what they are. You should say something about them. You do not need an invite to play. Going off topic will not be tolerated, it will be celebrated. Bags I go last.
    Last edited by pcstru; 1st May 2014 at 08:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Quite possibly : Ian Dury.

The nature of this would be that I get the completely unremarkable album "Strange Land" by "Box of Frogs" thrown in for free because Mr Dury did the lead vocal of the third track "Average". No, really, it's true. On the other hand I get a lot less than one of my other favourites, a Mr Francis Zappa, who's output might possibly need one of those modern container ships to ship it out to the island (hope it doesn't arrive too late to save the drowning Witch).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wahoo! Another music thread. Quite possibly my favourite subject.

I take it we're posting 1 artist at a time then, 8 artists - should keep the thread going for a while.

Number 1: R.E.M.
    If we're talking discographies then I'll always start with these guys. "Automatic For The People" is quiet simply one of, if not THE, best acoustic rock albums ever produced. Most notably the sublime "Find The River". Automatic was followed by the rock epic that was "Monster", and the band just got better with the brilliant "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" and the eerily beautiful "E-Bow The Letter". But of course being an entire discography I'm not going to be limited just their middle-era commercial peek. No, I have their earlier IRS stuff with Stipe mumbling his way through such classics as "Radio Free Europe", "Rockville", and "Wendell Gee". And the modern classics like "Hollow Man" from "Accelerate" or "Uberlin" from "Collapse Into Now". God, and I haven't even mentioned the non-album deep cuts like "Photograph" or "Staring Down The Barrel of the Middle Distance".

R.E.M. are a band I can easily listen to on repeat for the rest of eternity. Do I even need to choose another 7 artists?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Do I even need to choose another 7 artists?
    I fear if you didn't, you would only be letting yourself down.

Thank Post
    There are two musts for me, something by The Doors, ideally the 2000 album 'The Best of The Doors' but that is a compilation, if not allowed then 'LA Woman' and also something from Jimi Hendrix, 'Electric Ladyland' probably but I would need to give it some more thought if that would be my final choice.

The Doors and Jimi Hendrix both have a style of music that I can listen to over and over again and each time I hear something different in a song, something new. I have listened to both for over 30 years now, my dad used to play them to me from the day I was born and it's stuck with me ever since. Doesn't matter if I am stuck at work at my desk, in the car in a traffic jam or bombing down the motorway, cleaning the house, working at the allotment both artists' music works for me.

Just thinking about it now I can straight away think of times where I have been listening to their music. 2001, my first car was a Nova with 2 x 12" subs in the boot, I drove down to the coast for a small holiday and had 'Riders on a Storm' playing, the bass was going right through my body and at the same time there was a huge thunder and lighting storm outside, perfect.

2012, sat in traffic on the Peripherique in Paris and one of the radio stations started playing The Doors - 'Alabama Song', I was on the way to Jim Morrison's grave at the time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Genesis - Seconds Out (had to be said )

Thank Post
    So, is this the classic Radio 4 (?) Desert Island? Eight tracks, not albums.....yes?

Let me think about this.

Thank Post
    Come on folks, roll up, roll up! There surely must have been music made AFTER the 1980's and who knows, even before the 60's!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Earhling. No this is a b*st*rdisation of the Radio 4 desert island discs following on from the Genesis threads. Instead of 8 tracks. We want 8 artists whose complete discographies are indespensable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First one for me would be "Tool". 10,000 days as an album being at the top of the list of their works. The "Song for Marie (Part 1 & Part 2)" tracks are truly spine chilling to me. Written about Maynard's mother who passed away after many years suffering with illness. His anger at a God, who she devoutly followed, that allowed her to suffer is strong in the song. Its an evolution from the earlier song "Judith" by A Perfect Circle, where his anger is directed at his mother. He has grown and changed, and now he misses his mother and can't understand how she could have been allowed to suffer like that.

Other songs, such as Vicarious, look at human nature and behaviour, and how we repress our inner feelings and desires with our outlet being through others (be they real, or in films and songs) for them. It is about how that repression of inner feelings and behaviours is eventually going to bubble to the surface and cause real damage.

I could go into detail about more songs, such as The Pot covering hypocrisy over drugs laws, and unjust courts in the USA, but I'd just say everyone should listen to the album instead.

Their other albums are all similarly meaningful and dark. Very enjoyable. Listen to them all!!

EDIT: I'm going to alter this to "Maynard James Keenan", so I'd get A Perfect Circle & Puscifer as well! Rev 22:20 is a superb and catchy tune.
    Last edited by localzuk; 2nd May 2014 at 08:51 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    So, is this the classic Radio 4 (?) Desert Island? Eight tracks, not albums.....yes?
    It's the entire output of an individual or group. We even throw in weird stuff they might have recorded with other people.

Unlike desert island discs though, everything is washed away in the end and rather than be left with a final choice of one of the eight, there is only a sad, damp, 45rpm single with Peter Paul and Mary singing puff the magic dragon. There is no escape from it either.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Unlike desert island discs though, everything is washed away in the end and rather than be left with a final choice of one of the eight, there is only a sad, damp, 45rpm single with Peter Paul and Mary singing puff the magic dragon. There is no escape from it either.
    Thank god for that! For a moment there I thought the label said Bucks Fizz.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 2nd May 2014 at 08:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to chip in with Radiohead for sheer variety and the density of the later albums - always something to discover.

The Bends is one of the great indie pop albums of all times, full of British idiosyncracies and perspectives, contrasting mundane horrors with cheerful tunes, and has possibly the greatest final track any album has ever had the grace to possess with Street Spirit.

OK Computer is rightly recognised as one of the greatest albums ever and cleverer words than mine have been said about it all over the internet.

Kid A and Amnesiac were both ahead of their time and completely different in nature to work that had gone before, full of complex melodies and harmonies and dissonance, the perfect encapsulation of modern confusion and an expression at how lost we all are as individuals in our global society, powerless and insignificant and so utterly caught up in the currents.

In Rainbows is - via the evolution of Hail to the Thief - the culmination of everything that has gone before, a melding of OK Computer's and Amnesiac's styles, a fusion of two seemingly disparate and incompatible styles - the structured rock song and the apparent chaos of electronica.

And if all that isn't enough, OK Computer and In Rainbows combine to create a single super album, two albums designed to complement each other across ten years of musical and personal development, with hidden interplay between tracks separated by three other albums, full of constant hints and references to the number ten - the albums split by ten years, each with ten letter titles, the latter released on 10/10...

And I'd also like to take the collected works of the White Stripes because I'd need cheering up after all that Radiohead

Thank Post
    Gypsy Punks - Underdog World Strike by Gogol Bordello, or And Out Come The Wolves... by Rancid.

There's going to be alot of crap in this thread!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    there is only a sad, damp, 45rpm single with Peter Paul and Mary singing puff the magic dragon. There is no escape from it either.
    I'd not be TOO sad at that; it would remind me of my childhood. And a band who early on were striving to raise awareness of the plight of the American dispossessed. The poor, the blacks, and the kids being sent to Vietnam to die. And drugs too, although I've heard Peter denying that Puff was anything of the sort.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast