+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, Desert Island Discographies in General; Led Zeppelin for me at #1 They are an act which is still very much timeless and classic to this ...
    Thank Post
    Led Zeppelin for me at #1

They are an act which is still very much timeless and classic to this day, artists today could not get close to being able to emulate their sound

Pink Floyd #2

Full catalogue of classic psychedelic rock, very relaxing stuff

Pearl Jam #3

I missed Grunge but found this band all the same while finishing school, the early stuff is better and a bit more lively, Ten is the seminal work of the band, but every album is worth listening to as far as what my ears like

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I've always prefered 80's Queen to 70's Queen.
    It was hard to leave the pre-News Of The World disks out of my list. Post NOTW? Nah, I'll pass.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    It was hard to leave the pre-News Of The World disks out of my list. Post NOTW? Nah, I'll pass.
    I've got the CD by Smile (Brian May, Tim Staffell, Eddie Howells, Roger Taylor in the late '60s). The had an unmistakable Queen sound even before Freddy joined. "April Lady" is well worth a listen.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 2nd May 2014 at 12:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong. No sense leaving any of the earlier discs off, still some classic tracks to be had across most of them ("Keep Yourself Alive"?), hell I'd be happy to throw in some pre-Queen Smile for good measure. But, when all is said and done, the quality of the song writing was just better post "Hot Space".

Thank Post
    This has taken me all day, on and off, but hey, it's Friday

1. David Bowie

Not a lot to say about The Thin White Duke that someone hasn't said already. Has to be included for 'A New Career in a New Town' from the 'Low' album. Released just
    after my first marriage broke down, when I was starting a new career in a new town, Brighton.
    David Bowie A New Career In A New Town - YouTube

2. Abba

'I must have left my house at eight, because I always do'...one of their most under-rated songs. For their volume and diversity of output. YouTube
    v=_uaNwAV3TUU

3. Talking Heads

'The band in Heaven, they play my favourite song. Play it once again, play it all night long'
    So many thought provoking lyrics, haunting melodies, and rhythms for every life. I'd have to include all DB's solo work and Tom Tom Club. YouTube
    v=H506K66A3xo

4. Pink Floyd

Enough said, really. Free Four - 08 - Obscured by Clouds - Pink Floyd - YouTube

5. Bruce Springsteen (but could just as easily have been Bob Dylan)

Just keeps getting better as he gets older. The Seeger Sessions, The River, Nebraska, Darkness on the Edge of Town to name but a few. How can one person have so much music and so many stories in him? How could we be so lucky as to have him and Bob Dylan alive and writing songs at the same time? 'But now there's wrinkles round my baby's
    eyes, and she cries herself to sleep at night'. Bruce Springsteen - Racing in the street (Lyrics) - YouTube

6. Pentangle

Bert Jansch, Jacquie McShee, Danny Thompson, John Renbourn, Terry Cox. I was lucky enough to see them live in 1968 or 69, in a tiny little mining village in South
    Wales. Turned me on to Folk Music and I haven't turned it off since. Danny Thompson's got the gig as BBC 4's Transatlantic Sessions' resident bass player. Some of his
    comments in interviews are classic....'You know, I wake up in the morning in this beautiful place and I think, I'm going to play music today. How lucky am I?' Pentangle - Hunting Song - YouTube

7. The Bothy Band

More folk music but different, couldn't be without it. I'll take Planxty along too, as they're more or less the same band. The Black Bird - YouTube

8. The Mediaeval Baebes . Angelic harmonies, ancient songs and chants..........different.

Mediaeval Baebes - I Am Eve - YouTube

Thank Post
    @Earthling, good top see Bowie, Talking Heads and Abba make an appearance.

Not yet spotted : Frank Black. Now, really I'm after the Pixies but if I bag Black I get all of that AND Blacks brilliant first three albums to boot. This monkey IS going to heaven.

I'd be tempted to play the same trick with The Beatles and go for John Lennon, although my list is going to get too crowded since I'm after J.S Bach - particularly for his Organ works - not really the big numbers but the short Chorales, and probably Mr Mozart has to be there too - I'll need something other than this modern stuff by popular beat combo's to while away the hours.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Igorrr - Hallelujah
    Alice in Chains - Dirt
    Dinosaur Jr - Where You Been
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Murder Ballards
    Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol. 1
    Erykah Badu - Baduizm (1997)
    Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
    Leviathan - True Traitor, True Wh0re

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread