+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Desert Island Discographies in General; #1 - John Wetton. Superb voice and some decent riffs on the bass guitar. Asia is his best known group ...

Thank Post
    #1 - John Wetton.

Superb voice and some decent riffs on the bass guitar. Asia is his best known group - still touring 32 years after Heat of the Moment was a mega smash hit in the summer of 82.

Plus the bonus of the Phenomena track Did It All For Love.

Thank Post
    The beautiful south. Fair amount of variety there been expanding my cd collection recently with their stuff (and its actual cds as its cheaper to buy the cds from amazon and get free digital download than get the digital download in most cases ive found )

definately need queen in there as well and probably something from the 80's Sheffield bands (abc/heaven17 / human league)

Thank Post
    Frank Zappa. A huge collection with stuff I have avoided listening to as it's ... too difficult. So I'll have plenty of new stuff to experience.

(and yes I did mention him before - it's my age dont-cha-know).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mike Oldfield - a large discography, with quite a wide variation of styles. Most of it evokes quite vivid imagery when you close your eyes and just listen. Music of the Spheres is a beautiful album, for example.

Thank Post
    toss up between Oldfield, Vangelis and Jarre. Stuff it... can I fight for all three!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My number 2 - The Finn Brothers

New Zealand pop royalty Neil and Tim Finn. Best known over here for Neils stellar band Crowded House with tracks like "Don't Dream It's Over" and "Weather With You", like most great artists (aside from the hard to beat "Together Alone" album) their best work lays outside what was popular over here. In their early days, from about 1975, they were Split Enz. The Enz (as their fans effectionatly refer to them) brought us such greats as "Stuff and Nonsense" and "Message To My Girl".

The Enz split in '83 when Tim went on to forge a solo career and Neil formed Crowded House. Tim's solo career is well worth checking out for such highlights as "No Thunder, No Fire, No Rain" and "Hit The Ground Running". Neil too has had a good solo career between Crowded House, Finn Brothers and Pajama Club projects (busy man) but the best he has ever produced musically is - his son, Liam. Over the past two solo albums Liam has, in my estimation, surpassed his father as a singer-song writer. Liam's earlier band, Betchadupa, is also worth checking out in a young, punk, Green Day kind of way.

As a bonus the first of the two 7 Worlds Collide collectives gives us tracks from Pearl Jam ("Parting Ways") and Johnny Marr ("Down On The Corner"). The second collective gave us the beautiful "Learn To Crawl" by Radiohead's Ed O'Brian.

Edit: almost forgot. New music still being produced after all these years. Neil has a new album out now, and Liam's is released on Tuesday.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 2nd May 2014 at 10:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    My number 2 - The Finn Brothers

<SNIP>
    Homepage | Cambridge Corn Exchange

Got an e-mail from The Cornex about this earlier this week. Might be too late, but not too far from you, I guess.

Still compiling my list.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Lol, Thanks @Earthling. I have my ticket Looking forward to it. God this week has dragged!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Lol, Thanks @Earthling. I have my ticket Looking forward to it. God this week has dragged!
    If I didn't have my MoT on Saturday, I'd see you there.

While I'm here, is anyone else going to the Cambridge Folk Festival this year?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The zeitgeist changes of course, and I've included two tracks by the same artists, but there you go.

1. Exodus Damage - John Vanderslice.
    2. Continuation - John Vanderslice. Based on Lars Von Trier's film Element of Crime an intriguing track about two detectives tracking each other, while the body count still increases even 'now that the killer's dead'. A fabulous track. In fact the whole album Pixel Revolt is a masterpiece. It's a difficult album to get into, but full of strong songs; breaking free from mundane life through the allegory of a lost rabbit ("Angela"), depression ("Dead Slate Pacific"), a soldier's first (and possibly last) tour of duty ("Plymouth Rock"), self-medication ("CRC7173, Affectionately"). A stunning album.
    3. Dancing with St. Peter - Sign of Four. A classic rock track.
    4. Lion's Teeth - The Mountain Goats - john Darnielle's semi biographical account of being on the receiving end of drunken physical abuse. Saw him in Bristol just before Christmas at St. George's. Brilliant.
    5. Dog on Wheels - Belle & Sebastian. Again, not a huge B&S fan, but like this track for no real reason.
    6. New Year's Kiss - Casiotone for the Painfully Alone. Lo-fi account of the morning after the night before. Superb songwriting.
    7. Imitosis - Andrew Bird. Love this track.
    8. Lines in the Suit - Spoon. Good simple rock song.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 2nd May 2014 at 10:40 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    something from the 80's Sheffield bands (abc/heaven17 / human league)
    I'd widen the scope here by starting with B.E.F - if only for the superb "Music of Quality and Distinction Volume One" before they moved on to Heaven 17 and Human League.

My own #1 group would be The Boomtown Rats; their eponymous first album contains one of the best single sides of vinyl I have ever heard. This was also the first album I bought for myself with the money I earned at my Saturday job (get your calculators out). Released at the height of the punk craze they were, IMO, incorrectly branded thus. Their first three albums are all good, from there on in it gets a little tedious, but at least the desert island will have the weather to whisk me back to the summer of '77

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb1780 View Post
    I'd widen the scope here by starting with B.E.F - if only for the superb "Music of Quality and Distinction Volume One" before they moved on to Heaven 17 and Human League.

My own #1 group would be The Boomtown Rats; their eponymous first album contains one of the best single sides of vinyl I have ever heard. This was also the first album I bought for myself with the money I earned at my Saturday job (get your calculators out). Released at the height of the punk craze they were, IMO, incorrectly branded thus. Their first three albums are all good, from there on in it gets a little tedious, but at least the desert island will have the weather to whisk me back to the summer of '77
    'Rat Trap'...........if Carlsberg wrote social comment lyrics etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Artists rather than tracks...

Number 1: Paul Weller
    Now don't get me wrong, Weller isn't my favourite artist in the world but if I were stuck on a desert island, there'd be something in his discography for whatever mood I'm in. From the mod/punk Jam era, to the pop/jazz Style Council through to his solo career which by all accounts has a bit of everything; everyone should own a copy of Wild Wood. An incredibly varied discography full of great tracks.

That was my 'easy' pick, now to think of someone more obscure but essential...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    I've been weighing up a metal option for my second choice. Initially I thought Ozzy, but (shock! horror!) I'm not so keen on his solo stuff, then I thought Sabbath but I've always much preferred the Ozzy era Sabbath, then it hit me:

Number 2: Tony Iommi
    Apart from being one of the best metal guitarists ever to have lived (anyone who doubts this should remember he pretty much invented the metal guitar sound so even if you don't like him, you owe him some credit if you're remotely interested in metal!), his discography gets me the whole of Black Sabbath's back catalogue, so I get all my Ozzy albums (the best Sabbath albums IMO) plus I get the Dio albums (still some great albums there), plus his great solo album Iommi featuring many of rock and metal's best front men on vocals, as well as Heaven & Hell, one of the better modern metal bands IMO.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Paul Weller
    Now don't get me wrong, Weller isn't my favourite artist in the world but if I were stuck on a desert island,
    Yep, he'd be in there.

Now, can I persuade you all that PG and Genesis (I could loose the post Duke disks to make room) count as one choice? If not, then probably PG.

Pink Floyd

Fleetwood Mac

Eels

Jethro Tull

Led Zeppelin

Eric Clapton

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast