+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, A Recent Interview in General; So, yesterday I had applied for what had essentially been advertised as my job. I will start from the beginning. ...

Thank Post

A Recent Interview

So, yesterday I had applied for what had essentially been advertised as my job.

I will start from the beginning. 8 months ago, I was asked by the SLT to write them a list of what jobs I do as an ICT Technician. See the attached document. It is quite large isn't it?

Anyway the list was passed on and I heard nothing for the next few months. Then I accidentally saw a confidential document abandoned on top of a photocopy. It said "Senior ICT Technician - 30k".

I panicked. Were they looking to replace me? Turns out, they had use the list of work that I do to create a job description for a Senior ICT Technician role. It was even confirmed by the head teacher. The job description outlined managing the 'current' ICT Technician. "Interesting, that's me" I thought. So the advert was uploaded to the website (by myself) and was left there for the 3 month application period. The longest ever posted for the school.

I was successful in getting and interview and faced 3 other candidates. The interviews happened (3 group) and the final group interview revealed something new that wasn't in the job description or the person specification. It was essentially a Senior Leadership Role. Now the list of jobs attached and the management of all document management, budget bids, proposals, senior leadership decisions and future planning and a whole raft of other 'management' type roles added onto that would be insane.

Two other the other guys interviewing were currently network managers, the third worked at the post office. Not exactly the motley crew you would expect to interview for a high up management role. We were there as techs or wannabe techs.

In my eyes I am a glorified mechanic. Repairing and maintaining the systems and the network for the school. This was not the job I had applied for and would not be a suitable work load to maintain and repair the systems as well.

None of us were short listed and were all sent home. I am still the ICT Technician but working from a job description that is 7 years old. The 7 years I have worked here, the ICT systems have massively changed. Everything is virtualised. We have an SSLVPN, we are looking at replacing all of the classroom laptops for a tablet and laptop combo and the list of jobs attached was originally a lot smaller.

I feel I am already doing the role of a Senior ICT Technician, or what they advertised. I wrote the job description essentially for gods sake.

Now my thinking is that we need an ICT Manager, someone that doesn't do any hands on work, they ensure the running of all of the background stuff, budgeting, proposals and plans. Would I be right in thinking this?

What does everyone else think?

A Recent Interview-current-role-list.pdf

Thank Post
    Perhaps you should start working to your job description, as difficult as it may be, and don't do anything listed on the senior job description?

Thank Post
    Ha, that would be bliss.

Nothing would ever work in the school and nothing would ever get done. I have considered it before but I don't think i could put the staff (that are friendly) or the kids through that again.

When I first started the desktops were 3 years out of warranty and old before that time was up, the smartboards were massively damaged and the server was on its last legs.

Interesting concept and I may consider it for the future. For now though, I am soon to get feedback and bring some points to the head teachers attention.

Thank Post
    Have you tried talking to them and asking exactly what the reasons are for recruiting somebody that is doing most of the things you're doing now in your current capacity?

Thank Post
    I have when it was first being discussed. They came back with the fact that it is a new job title and job description so I would have to apply and interview for it either way. It hasn't worked like this for a couple other members of staff however.

I am getting feedback from the head today so i should have a better understanding of why I wasn't suitable. I have been speaking to one of the other guys who interviewed and he has exactly the same thoughts as me and is currently receiving his feedback.

I will be taking notes and weighing up my option so it could all go really well or horribly wrong. Might rejoin the union.

Thank Post
    A senior tech shouldn't be doing management tasks, possibly peer support and technical lead roles but not line management and financial planning. They really haven't done their research very well at all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    A senior tech shouldn't be doing management tasks, possibly peer support and technical lead roles but not line management and financial planning. They really haven't done their research very well at all.
    My thoughts exactly. We have always been quite lax with the quality of ICT teaching in this school. Our admin staff were lost when right-click was disabled because and I quote "We can no longer cut, copy and paste".

Thank Post
    Everyone has a right to their own view of their role, what they want out of their role, what they want from their career, how they view their profession and I'm not questioning that.

But I would point out that so many of our problems in this sector have stemmed from people in certain other roles viewing us as "glorified mechanics", even once we've moved on to the management side!

Thank Post
    have a lookie at this.... your SMT seem a little confused.

http://www.maximise-ict.co.uk/tech-competences.pdf

Thank Post
    If your job description has changed and you have taken on extra responsibilities then you have the right to ask for an updated JD and a pay rise to match the job you do now, you do not need a new role to be created and then have to apply for it. Personally I'd go through the job advertised and double check that you already do this job and then question why you can't have a pay rise to match.

Also bear in mind that if the way you run systems have changed your level of responsibility may not have. For example if you look after the file server it doesn't matter it is is physical or virtual, you still look after the file server. However, if you have more types of systems to look after then your responsibility has increased.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wait until you get the feedback before doing anything. Also what you are doing is more in line with a network manager rather than a senior IT Tech...just my 2p!

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone. Just come back from an hour long feedback and have a very good understanding of what they want now.

Using exactly the same JD and person spec they have now retitled it "Strategic Lead for ICT" They have placed more emphasis on the management side of it and the SLT aspects.

I have however been told to go away, rebuild my job description to how I think it should look and then bring it back for review. Anyone have any models for a Network manager like @nephilim said?

This seems like a very surreal situation to me and having the ability to ask this forum is very useful. I have been given some good ideas and some very useful insights.

Thank Post
    I've got quite a few here. Are you in a Single Status setup?

Thank Post
    Cheers @Ephelyon, we are indeed. It is a fair sized school so there isn't much need for anything more.

Thank Post
    NJC job evaluation scheme?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast