+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, A Recent Interview in General; Where are heading down a woodland path at night with sunglasses on. In other words, I have no idea and ...

Thank Post
    Where are heading down a woodland path at night with sunglasses on. In other words, I have no idea and I could just end up looking stupid.

For anyone interested in witnessing the craziness that is "Strategic Lead for ICT (including Curriculum, Technical and Network support)" the job will be uploaded in about 5-10 minutes. Probably going to get myself into trouble for posting that information here but it will give everyone an idea of what I was dealing with until the emphasized the strategic lead a bit more.

Thank Post
    This is a classic of example of ICT staff working beyond their role and getting no thanks or appreciation for it. Its all done under the illusion of 'im giving 110%, im super techy and its all going to work in my favour' syndrome.

It all an illusion!!! they will shaft you at any time once budgets require.

I would see the head, discuss the options and if your not getting paid for the extra work you have taken on work to your existing contract. Of course doing this now will impact on opinions about yourself. They wont see your side, only theirs. Sounds to be like a place id rather be out of.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This will be interesting lol

Thank Post
    @Galway, I was thinking about it like that. If they were to recruit somebody who was just a tech above me it would have been completely demoralizing. I would have handed in my notice this morning, it didn't play out quite like that. However, none of us were good enough. Out of the 3 actual techs there I was the only one with curriculum knowledge for KS2 in Computing or whatever fancy name they may have given it in the last few months.

I now have the opportunity to create my job role how I see it. This could improve my pay scale and my overall understanding and others understanding of my role as it is now. Or there will be no change.

Advert is now live on the school website at ludlowjunior.org.uk. it's under 'School Office' and then 'Recruitment'. Let me know what you think and whether it should have been titled "Senior ICT Technician" originally or if you have any ideas for what it should be now.

Thank Post
    Very interesting indeed, from my point of view it looks like they are trying to push you out of the door. If they are prepared to pay some one else more money to do what you do already with some more management tasks then it really does look like they want you out or perhaps feel your not up to the task.

I am leading our team and I deal with more management side of things compared to my last boss at my previous job. Senior technician is some one who can do more day to day life of IT Support. You can hand that person serious responsibilities that involve paper work/parents. My own view of course.

I would cover my own back and start looking else where, as others have mentioned get your feed back and get your voice heard, get responses from SLT/Head. Maybe they are innocent and have simply visited another School and seen a team of 3, 1 Leader, 2 Technicians.

You shouldn't be doing more work then you should be unless discussed with management especially when they are advertising some of your work to another job. I my self have progressed in a similar way but all my responsibilities were agreed with management and I made it clear that's how I wanted to progress and work my way up the ladder.

I have a 2 Senior technicians and a trainee, the two senior ones I can leave with big important tasks and leave them to it. The trainee is in fact that some one that requires additional training to complete the more advanced tasks.

Something just smells very fishy!

Thank Post
    Have just read through the attachments on your website (the advert gives a 404 BTW).

I have to say I wouldn't want to touch that with a bargepole! It reads like a very confused job specification and comes across that they want the moon on a stick.

Thank Post
    @Tall_Paul, it does doesn't it?

The original JD and spec were more geared towards a tech role as the main responsibility. The main reason why I applied. However, that is not what they want apparently but they still want tech aspects to the role. It's crazy and I don't see them getting many suitable applicants.

Thanks for letting me know about the 404 though. The website was having issues yesterday and when I selected one file to upload it warned me that the most I could upload at any one time was 10.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMDStreet View Post
    @Tall_Paul, it does doesn't it?

The original JD and spec were more geared towards a tech role as the main responsibility. The main reason why I applied. However, that is not what they want apparently but they still want tech aspects to the role. It's crazy and I don't see them getting many suitable applicants.

Thanks for letting me know about the 404 though. The website was having issues yesterday and when I selected one file to upload it warned me that the most I could upload at any one time was 10.
    Exactly. It reads like they don't know what they want, the qualifications they require are confusing too.

That specification certainly isn't for an ICT Manager. I'm having trouble deciding exactly what it is for (the job title is a nonsense) but it is very confusing and would, I imagine, deter candidates who were interested in an ICT Manager role.

Thank Post
    To be honest, if it were closer and in a secondary, I'd apply for that. It's not dissimilar to my current role at the moment anyway, just with more recognition.

Thank Post
    Out of interest are you the only technician at the school i.e. would the staffing be the Senior post + Technician(s)?

Thank Post
    The JD.
    Reporting to class teachers. What.
    Reporting to the community. What.
    "supporting lessons". The fact they mention coding means you won't be supporting, you'll be handholding and backfilling.
    Website dev/ Senior Tech/ Strategist/ line manager. What.

It's a catchall job, they may as well call it Overlord of all things electrical and teacher bum wiper.

run. keep running. never stop running. This lot are dangerous!

12. 2 Thanks to strawberry:

MrMDStreet (2nd May 2014), visioN (2nd May 2014)

Thank Post
    The reporting strands are a little unclear but it looks as if the catch-all is designed to ensure that the support role (as opposed to the operational or strategic management roles) will still carry on in the event of the Technician's absence. There are some NMs who've tried refusing to handle any support requests if it's only them in as it's "not their job"... they don't tend to get far with it but you do often find the "just in case" clauses in these job specs as a result.

What I will say is that, yes, it could do with a little more segregation; it would be interesting to see this spec lined up next to the Technician's spec to take a look at how the balance is intended.

14. Thanks to Ephelyon from:

MrMDStreet (2nd May 2014)

Thank Post
    I know of some schools close to you where something very similar happened. Your school isn't throwing it's lot in with any local academies are they?

From what I gather, the existing techies were overlooked and a "high flyer" "parachuted" in who is (no doubt) coming up with synergistic and holistic approaches to attaining learning objectives blah blah blah. If the stories are true the new recruit does a lot of planning and purchasing on a seemingly limitless budget while the techies wonder why they couldn't have been allowed to spend that sort of money.

I'd be tempted to apply, but my BS skills aren't up to snuff + supporting classes = taking lessons that staff don't understand.

Thank Post
    @LeMarchand, it was implied a while back that this is what they were planning on doing. We are an academy ourselves and I have had support from a cluster schools Network Manager to get things rolling when we converted but that was paid consultation.

The supporting classes is something I have been doing for years. As I am not a qualified teacher I am apparently not allowed to write lesson plans, however I can help to write them and support the teacher in presenting them to the class.

the upshot of this all is Governors are now concerned about my well being and I get to write my own job description and have it reviewed. I think being allowed over time can be worked in somewhere but it has to be discreet.

Thank Post
    @gshaw, I am the only tech at the school and have been for 7 years. Working with external parties and with technical requirements decided by Senior Leadership with no research I have managed to create an effective working environment.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast