+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, When did IT techs jobs, stop becoming male dominated? in General; There seem to be a lot of females about in recent years and it got me thinking when did the ...
    Thank Post

When did IT techs jobs, stop becoming male dominated?

There seem to be a lot of females about in recent years and it got me thinking when did the job of IT tech stop being male dominated and what changed to get females interested?

Now I have nothing against female IT techs as the ones I have met are just as good as the males and know their stuff. Just curious as why in the past few years the balance between male and female is so much better. What’s changed?

What got me thinking was the last job I left a lady took over form me, the school I am at now had a lady before me and the last training course I went to had me as the only male there. Now that was a shocker. That and I bumped into some female IT techs while horse riding.

Gone are the days of computers being male only toys.

Thank Post

Re: When did IT techs jobs, stop becoming male dominated?

Funny - I've found it the other way round - always had women in my teams through the 1990s (though in other industries), don't think we even had an application from a woman in the last couple of rounds of vacancies for techies here.

Thank Post

I think your experience is very unusual. I have been a female IT for 5yrs now and I am always the only woman on courses etc. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ueline
    I think your experience is very unusual. I have been a female IT for 5yrs now and I am always the only woman on courses etc. Maybe it's a regional thing?
    I was under the impression that IT support was still very much a male dominated area, with women vastly underrepresented. It surprises me and gives me optimisim that there quite a few female contributors on the forum. But I still think there should be more opportunities for women in IT support, beyond the helpdesk in more technical troubleshooting and managerial roles.

Thank Post

I think the situation could just be random and more balanced than we thought.

I would just put it down to peoples interests in computing etc, if you're good at it why not?

Then again, there has always been a stigma on being in IT anyway, maybe that puts people off?

Chris

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

When I was at lancaster uni, there were about a dozen girls out of the 200 or so people on the course. In ISS, the it support dept, there were maybe half a dozen out of the 100 staff - and about half a dozen in the part time staff (there were about 20 total).

So my experience is that it is very much male dominated still.

I think one of the things that causes this is that women who are capable of working in ICT are generally smart enough to spot that it is a moderately boring career in the long run and look for something more interesting :P

Thank Post

our local council has women in the minority by a long way but oddly enough every single one of them is in a promoted post of some kind. I wouldn't mind but you could tell some were promoted over more capable men because of gender.

Thank Post

that's where the whole situation gets a bit messy....

Chris

Thank Post

...and you have to ask why there are not many women in ICT? ...you probably think every woman has to sleep with someone to get a decent job..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

i want out of IT... it is very dull!

{Merged - Please use the edit button - Z}

i want to be on radio or tv.... however IT pays the bills...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think that in *general* woman dont have the same interest as men in IT. I am not saying there are not any, or that they dont have the skills to do it, more just that most women dont see it as the job for them. After all men and women are significantly different in many ways so its understandable that we don't find the same jobs appealing. I just get annoyed at things that actively state that we MUST get more woman in IT. I ask why?
    Whats suddenly wrong with men in IT?
    Why try to push woman down at path that generally they dont seem to find appealing. Its one thing to inform but another to push.
    Also where is the push to get men into nursing or any other female dominated industry?
    It just seems like sexism reversed.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour
    I think that in *general* woman dont have the same interest as men in IT. I am not saying there are not any, or that they dont have the skills to do it, more just that most women dont see it as the job for them. After all men and women are significantly different in many ways so its understandable that we don't find the same jobs appealing. I just get annoyed at things that actively state that we MUST get more woman in IT. I ask why?
    Whats suddenly wrong with men in IT?
    Why try to push woman down at path that generally they dont seem to find appealing. Its one thing to inform but another to push.
    Also where is the push to get men into nursing or any other female dominated industry?
    It just seems like sexism reversed.
    What's wrong with pursuing the goal of attracting people who are underrepresented, how do you know there ISN'T a push for men in nursing from the NHS and government, just as certain councils are lacking ethnic minorities or woman in certain key areas - so they welcome applications from those people. Plus who the hell is 'pushing' women to become IT professionals ? Do you see advertising campaigns extolling the virtues of being an IT tech (like that bs teacher recruitment ads) ?
    Do we have celeberity IT professionals (like the glamourous worlds of cooking or property development) , or is it councils and schools careers advisers hatching an insideous plot to undermine all-male IT departments
    by forcing young women who'd rather do something less boring into the world of the basement dwelling IT techs....btw my job is the least boring thing i've ever done (maybe that's a male thing but women can have the same ambitions and interests as men so it's not totally alien to think that there are a lot of women who'd enjoy the role if they worked in the right environment and had the right mentors.)

Please enlighten me with other crackpot theories like 'sexism reversed'

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

all the dust and air con plays havoc with my skin :P

Or maybe it's just that any woman who is good at stuff like maths, science and computers goes into the better paid proffessions... or becomes a teacher...

or maybe we should just not care and get on with it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries

torledo your post is very confrontational to say the least.
    But I still think there should be more opportunities for women in IT support, beyond the helpdesk in more technical troubleshooting and managerial roles.
    So are you saying they cant hack helpdesks?
    how do you know there ISN'T a push for men in nursing from the NHS and government
    They dont appear to be pushing it hard in our school at least. Anyway it was a EXAMPLE!
    just as certain councils are lacking ethnic minorities or woman in certain key areas - so they welcome applications from those people
    That I think is wrong. Sex/Race should not be considered as any factor for a job. If they apply then its good but I hate this hiring to meet the numbers stuff (and it does happen, funnily its not a perfect world). It should be the right PERSON for the job and the other factors should be ignored!
    Plus who the hell is 'pushing' women to become IT professionals ?
    Our school is trying to get more into IT (using things like CC4G - and where is CC4B then!) and if you read magazines such as IT Week etc you will regularly see articles stating about how we *MUST* get more woman in IT. Just because there are not a huge amount of woman in IT is it such a problem.
    Do you see advertising campaigns extolling the virtues of being an IT tech
    There are ad's on the tv promoting training in IT at least.
    maybe that's a male thing but women can have the same ambitions and interests as men so it's not totally alien to think that there are a lot of women who'd enjoy the role if they worked in the right environment and had the right mentors.
    I said "Generally" not ALL.

I dont have any problems with woman in IT, the more the merrier. I just hate the push to ensure they choose it as a job.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts

What they are actually doing is trying to SHOW girls about IT and explain what it is and how much fun it can be! You can't make someone follow a career they don't want to but there is an issue about how some subjects 'look' to young people today. It is the same in such subjects as fabric and food, the boys tend not to even consider them and the schools are trying to show them how they can be interesting.
    I am pleased to see more women on this forum - quite a few are self taught in primary schools. There is no way though that IT isnt still dominated by men.
    I am one of the exceptions - I studied electronics a long time ago and had computers have been common then, I would have studied them too!
    You should never employ someone on the basis of their sex, race, age or whatever but it is important to stress that the environment is conducive to all types - unlike the old engineering male environment which could be absolute HELL for women. And I know, I worked in several.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast