+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, jobs in London not worth it? in General; ...

Thank Post

jobs in London not worth it?

I saw a few jobs in London at around the 18K mark and it made me think maybe its not worth it. Cos you would need to spend at least £10-£20 on travel cost on London underground, parking and petrol money
    so that's at least £100 a week just on travel then your rent would cost more. So maybe its not worth working in London?
    Agree / disagree?

Thank Post
    All depends on how far you are travelling! When I worked in London I lived 20 mins walk away, meant I walked to work and used the 'saving' from not using public transport to buy myself a bacon sannie and coffee.

Also, is this a job you could get more local? Does it have prospects, are you going to be stuck doing that job at that rate for years? Or, in 6 months could you be on 20K and 18 months later £22k?

Thank Post
    thats my read. The company i work for did support for a school in london for a while (were based in west yorkshire) as it was cheaper for them to pay us to come down on the train (and in one case stay overnight for a couple of days) and do the work than get a local company to do it at least partially due to the economics of being in london where you can add 20%+ to the cost of everything.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depends. If you have to pay to work, then no, not worth it. Right now, I am north of London by a few miles, my Mrs and I pull in around £28k a year (after taxes) which will drop down to around £21k a year when she goes on maternity leave.

We pay out around £20.5k a year for all of our expenditures.

Now granted we live just outside of London now, but when I lived in London (Mill Hill/Colindale area) about 8 years ago, the rent was about the same as I pay now (for a similar sized property) and council tax was lower. Travelling fees into London are high, but you can buy rail cards which can help offset this, and same for season tickets also.

*edit* fixed spelling and grammar
    Last edited by nephilim; 28th April 2014 at 11:01 AM.

Thank Post
    I walk to work, it's about an hour. Screw paying £116 a month.

rad
    Thank Post
    Let's define "London" please.
    There are 33 London Boroughs, and I work I one of them. I live 20 miles out, commute in with the OH who also works in the borough and enjoy our work. We did and could afford to live in the borough but get more for our money house wise commuting.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    All depends where in London you work, where you live etc... I live in SE london and work in the City so am doing a Zone 4-1 commute each day the travel card makes it good value for me and my rent is reasonable for the property and location so you have to do the sums for sure.

Thank Post
    I 100% agree its about where you live. If you are willing to commute the rent and travel cost may be cheaper than renting alone in z1 or 2

I live in zone 6 and it takes me 1hr 15min to get to work. I pay £650 for a modern 1bed flat with a balcony and about £200 for travel cost. After bills and everything I still have a few hundred quid to save or/and do whatever I want with.

I managed to get a nice cheap flat under the firststeps scheme in which housing association rent out to people earning under £60k (or under £80k if it is two people living together) and the rent is 20% cheaper than the market rent (ots called the rent to buy scheme). This is so that people can save towards a mortgage and in 5 years time have enough money to buy the house they are renting or any other property.

Also in London there are a huge amount of jobs and oportunities. My salary has increased by a huge amount and I only graduated less than 2 years ago. So if there is opportunity for a huge progression (which in london you have a much higher chance of progression) I would consider taking the job

Thank Post
    I used to work in London but now work locally. Generally I would consider a job in London of the salary was at least 5/6k more than a local

Thank Post
    A monthly travel card for me (Zones 1-6) costs £220 a month. The money is higher in London, and as @chrisateen said, there's a lot of opportunities available in London, for example theres 11+ pages of Apprenticeships based within 15 miles of me (90% are London) with wages at least £75 per week more compared to a similar apprenticeship outside of London.

Thank Post
    It all depends on your lifestyle and your expectations. I've always found that I've been offered around 5 / 6k more in London than here. So for example, when working here on 26k, i had an oportunity of 32 in London. When i was on 36k I was offered 41 in London. Whenever I've done the sums, I'd decided that I'd need 10k extra to move to London, but I have quite a nice lifestyle and I like it, and want to keep it. So it depends what your priorities are. Part of that 10k was also the fact that I'd have to commute back up to see family which i'd have to pay for, but as it stands when I commute down, work pays it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread