+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, So, what's it like? in General; I have already been told by my new boss to expect keys being changed around on keyboards and other 'pranks' ...

Thank Post
    I have already been told by my new boss to expect keys being changed around on keyboards and other 'pranks' students play.

I'm excited to get stuck in! I also love that there's a community for this. I imagine a lot of applications and tech are similar between educational institutions? Either way, I'm looking forward to lurking the Edugeek forum a bit more. I'm in that 'honeymoon' period at the moment where I'm just reading everything!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,743 Posts
    I had a honeymoon period on edugeek... 7 years ago. I'm still here. It's an addiction!

Thank Post
    Well today I had the dreaded 'counter offer' from my employer.

While I'm fine with this and know that my excitement for my new path is too great to pass up on, he did suggest that there was a 'stigma' attached to public sector IT staff and I'd struggle getting a job later down the line.

I'm pretty sure this is just a ploy to convince me to stay, but has anyone here ever faced any kind of stigma coming from the public sector? I can't see why there would be.

Any way, anxious times ahead waiting for my DBS to come back and then hopefully starting the 2nd of June. Exciting stuff!

Thank Post
    I'd like to let you all know that I too, have got a new job!! moving out of telecomms and going into the IT Services side of things.

Ive been made an offer I cannot refuse!!!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,476 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam3773 View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is just a ploy to convince me to stay, but has anyone here ever faced any kind of stigma coming from the public sector? I can't see why there would be.
    The only crap I've gotten for working in EduIT was from someone working in GAME... and that was because they have no idea what the job involves.

But for the most part, it looks like your old boss is making stuff up to get you to stay. You're best off getting out of there.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Counter-offers are there to persuade you to stay so they have breathing room to find your replacement.

Remember schools IT is a varied job, be ready to go from being an expert in one field to spreading your skills over a much wider area (including non-IT stuff!). You are first, second and third lines rolled together into one with a bit of book-keeper, a bit of supervisor, a bit of front line and a bit of cleaner added on top.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely. Sounds like sour grapes on the part of your old employer to me. Frankly, I'd be tempted to tell him to stick it where the sun doesn't shine but I don't suppose you can go burning bridges

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,793 Posts
    Speaking as an ex-head hunter/recruitment consultant - it is rarely good to stay on because they offer more money. I know you weren't going to in this case, but many do. You are a marked man for ever and will not progress very well after this. Anyway, if they knew you were unhappy and I am sure they did, why didn't they offer more money before. Occasionally people will stay and it all works out fine but it is not a course of action I would recommend.
    As for public sector stigma - no, I don't think so. I have had far more experience of IT in a school than I would have done if I were a lowly member of a large team in business. It all comes down to your CV. Put down those skills and they will employ

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post

While I'm fine with this and know that my excitement for my new path is too great to pass up on, he did suggest that there was a 'stigma' attached to public sector IT staff and I'd struggle getting a job later down the line.

Any way, anxious times ahead waiting for my DBS to come back and then hopefully starting the 2nd of June. Exciting stuff!
    Well, in 1998 when I came to the college I work for now, my then manager made all kinds of comments about fixing BBC model Bs.
    Instead I now find myself fending off calls from recruiters while sitting here managing a fairly sophisticated network (40-odd switches, 10Gb backbone & links to servers, heavy investment in virtualisation, about 70 to 80 servers).

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    Ive been made an offer I cannot refuse!!!!!
    Can't say no to that!

11. Thanks to Roberto from:

cpjitservices (30th April 2014)

Thank Post
    @Sam3773 how big is your current company? users / computer,device ratio ?

Thank Post
    Cheers guys. It does all seem a bit forced from my current company. We're not that big. I'd say about 2000 clients across 40 clients.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12