+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
General Chat Thread, Chinese company 3d prints houses in General; BBC News - China: Firm 3D prints 10 full-sized houses in a day A company in China has used giant ...
  1. #1

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,211
    Thank Post
    655
    Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    669

    Chinese company 3d prints houses

    BBC News - China: Firm 3D prints 10 full-sized houses in a day

    A company in China has used giant 3D printers to make 10 full-sized, detached single-storey houses in a day, it appears.A private firm, WinSun, used four 10m x 6.6m printers to spray a mixture of cement and construction waste to build the walls, layer by layer, official Xinhua news agency reported.
    The cheap materials used during the printin
    I would not have liked to have been the toner money on that job!
    Serously though, if this takes off and is viable, imagine what would happen to house prices!!

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese company 3d prints houses-_74442015_74438307.jpg  

  2. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

    Miscbrah (28th April 2014)

  3. #2

    Miscbrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    976
    Thank Post
    274
    Thanked 284 Times in 170 Posts
    Rep Power
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Serously though, if this takes off and is viable, imagine what would happen to house prices!!
    A £100k first-time concrete printing "eco tax" on them to keep them nice and high, so all those bankers can stay rich and continue to fleece us. I mean, er, to combat terrorism or some s-t.

    [/cynicism]

  4. #3

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,964
    Thank Post
    397
    Thanked 390 Times in 276 Posts
    Rep Power
    234
    Hmmm may be good for first time buyers Surely if a 1 Floor house costs around £5,000 then a two floored house would cost around £10,000? I may wait now a year or two see if this becomes big if so it would be awesome to buy a house for a few grand !

  5. #4


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,264
    Thank Post
    287
    Thanked 880 Times in 658 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Serously though, if this takes off and is viable, imagine what would happen to house prices!!
    I doubt printing houses will do much to house prices. The problem isn't the cost of materials, it's the cost of land. As the saying goes, "land : they aren't making more of it." (unless you happen to live near a volcano).

  6. #5

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,964
    Thank Post
    397
    Thanked 390 Times in 276 Posts
    Rep Power
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    I doubt printing houses will do much to house prices. The problem isn't the cost of materials, it's the cost of land. As the saying goes, "land : they aren't making more of it." (unless you happen to live near a volcano).
    Hmmmm didn't think land was that expensive, there's a field by me for sale at £25,000 and it's something like 2x2 miles big, (My estimate of course) so buy that, put the £5,000 house there with a nice paved drive way and make the rest into a decent sized garden! Problem being you'd have to get planning permission, help to move the house, foundations installed, water, electric.... blah blah I could go on by the time you have done all that I'm sure it would costs next to or around the £100,000 price mark-up anyway?

    Though I could be wrong I'm no expert!

  7. #6

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,211
    Thank Post
    655
    Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Hmmmm didn't think land was that expensive, there's a field by me for sale at £25,000 and it's something like 2x2 miles big, (My estimate of course) so buy that, put the £5,000 house there with a nice paved drive way and make the rest into a decent sized garden! Problem being you'd have to get planning permission, help to move the house, foundations installed, water, electric.... blah blah I could go on by the time you have done all that I'm sure it would costs next to or around the £100,000 price mark-up anyway?

    Though I could be wrong I'm no expert!

    Of course when you build a house (if you even get planning permission) and once you get gas\water\electric routed in (hugely expensive) your house, with those grounds, will be hugely valuable. And taxed accordingly

  8. #7


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,264
    Thank Post
    287
    Thanked 880 Times in 658 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Land without planning permission is relatively cheap but you can't build on it and even changing the designated use can be tricky. Getting planning permission for agricultural land is almost impossible (to build a house, you can throw up stock sheds etc without almost a second thought). Land with planning permission is likely to be a significant chunk of the of the development cost (25-50%).

  9. #8
    rad
    rad is offline
    rad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    2,529
    Thank Post
    339
    Thanked 319 Times in 242 Posts
    Rep Power
    112

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. 3D Printed Atlas Figure
    By north-ict in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2nd May 2014, 03:19 PM
  2. [Video] A Sandstone Block Built From Lego, Blending Real Objects With 3D Prints
    By DaveP in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th November 2012, 07:38 AM
  3. 3d printing a raspberry pi case
    By RabbieBurns in forum Raspberry Pi, Arduino & Other SBCs
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 28th June 2012, 08:54 PM
  4. Can anyone suggest a company to print ID cards?
    By reggiep in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th February 2012, 03:27 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 7th February 2012, 07:50 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •