+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Moving on from ICT in General; Anyone else ever considered this? I'm in the process of going from ICT Manager to School Business Manager. Lots to ...
    Thank Post

Moving on from ICT

Anyone else ever considered this? I'm in the process of going from ICT Manager to School Business Manager. Lots to learn still but jumping into the deep end. I do have finance experience from previous roles 10 or so years ago.

Can't help but feel is it the right thing to do....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ictrich View Post
    Anyone else ever considered this? I'm in the process of going from ICT Manager to School Business Manager. Lots to learn still but jumping into the deep end. I do have finance experience from previous roles 10 or so years ago.

Can't help but feel is it the right thing to do....
    Then it's the right thing to do.

I never have moved out of DP/IT, it's given me a job all my life, when I've wanted or needed one. I can understand these days, though, that that might not be the case anymore.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    I'm Assistant Bursar now... been there and doing it. I learned all my HR and finance from being a school governor!

Thank Post
    I have considered it but I don't know what else I would do. I couldn't afford to take a pay cut and doubt I would be as well paid straight away if I went onto something completely different. I've thought about getting out of schools and getting a job in the city but don't know if I want to do all of the traveling or have less time to spend with my family.

Thank Post
    Obviously salary plays a part, at my place SBM is two grades higher.

Thank Post
    The main SBM is a pretty important role and I would expect it to be more highly paid than most technician jobs, but it may be pretty close to NM in salary. In many schools an accountancy qualification is a requirement for SBM though the role usually includes responsibility for HR, H&S, etc as well... more than justifying a higher salary.

Thank Post
    Yes it is a huge workload. I have my AAT,s from a previous role so that helped. Also have Prince 2 which they seemed more interested in. Line managing the caretaker should be fun!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ictrich View Post
    Yes it is a huge workload. I have my AAT,s from a previous role so that helped. Also have Prince 2 which they seemed more interested in. Line managing the caretaker should be fun!
    PM quals/experience are a must for SBMs. Probably second only to mind reading!

Thank Post
    And in my experience an aptitude for being extremely grumpy lol

Thank Post
    I have a CSBM (Certificate in Business Management) but never did the DSBM (Diploma). Course was interesting if a little long winded but it reaffirmed my decision that I'd prefer to stick with ICT.

Good luck.

Thank Post
    I did think about leaving School IT. I was thinking about and did apply for a couple of jobs at a few major banks in the city of London. I applied for IT and did not get it. After I was rejected, I took a few months to consider things and I realized that working in school IT, helps schools equip young people with skills that are needed in life. I prefer doing this rather than helping some fat bankers achieve a fat profit.

Thank Post
    I think that I am at a rather different stage of my career to many of you. Having done my degree on punch cards, I have evolved with ICT... if I didn't make the move "upstairs" now, I probably never would. A number of factors have prompted the change in my career choice, including not finding crawling under desks quite so attractive any more

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    I have a CSBM (Certificate in Business Management) but never did the DSBM (Diploma). Course was interesting if a little long winded but it reaffirmed my decision that I'd prefer to stick with ICT.

Good luck.
    Mind me asking if this was the one from the National College or a different one?

It's something I've started thinking a bit about doing too, a bit less so recently but the thought is still there. Not sure if it's just project management I want instead now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread