+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, Vote YES on Independence (of Cornwall) in General; Originally Posted by tmcd35 It's interesting that most high schools teach German and French not Mandarin and Spanish. Union job ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    It's interesting that most high schools teach German and French not Mandarin and Spanish. Union job protection vs Educational needs?
    My daughters school teach 4 languages. European languages are taught from age 6 upwards.

German (most common language in Europe), French (Secondary language in UN after English), Spanish (Most used language in the Americas), Mandarin (only for year 7 onwards)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Its pretty interesting to me just how different Manx Gaelic and Cornish are from each other. They're both Celtic languages, but the overlap is so little that the 2 languages are completely different.

I like Celtic languages, and do think they should be taught. However, they don't help in the modern "globalised" world.
    They are from different branches.
    Welsh, Cornish and Breton are Brythonic
    Scottish Gaelic (usually pronounced as if saying 'gallik'), Irish and Manx are Goidelic
    When you get to Irish you then get the official language, and then the dialects ... and getting someone from The Pale and from the Aran Islands to talk to each other leaves them arguing (usually over a pint or two) about the best way to say good afternoon! Then again, you can get the same between North and South Wales.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Scottish Gaelic (usually pronounced as if saying 'gallik'), Irish and Manx are Goidelic
    When you get to Irish you then get the official language, and then the dialects ... and getting someone from The Pale and from the Aran Islands to talk to each other leaves them arguing (usually over a pint or two) about the best way to say good afternoon! Then again, you can get the same between North and South Wales.
    Something I find fascinating too is how there are multiple dialects of Manx also! On such a tiny island, multiple dialects managed to evolve!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    wasnt taken that way.

I agree there are issues but shouldnt local things be dealt with at a local level as said before the westminster one size fits all (well works for london) approach blatently dosent work and mps arnt really reprentative of their constituancy when they spend so much of their time somewhere like london that is a special case (if the rest of the country go the same amount of cash spent on public transport as london maybe you could get people out of cars for example)
    Perhaps though it is the system by which MPs are elected and represent at national level that is the issue. If your local MP is not representing your area, then he needs the boot!

Imagine for a moment we gave all money to local government. One decides that roads are terrible so builds a whacking great motorway to the authority boarder. You neighbouring authority has done no such thing, so the road ends up going nowhere...

It is a very extreme and silly case, but when you get down to that level of micro management of a country then there is no country.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Something I find fascinating too is how there are multiple dialects of Manx also! On such a tiny island, multiple dialects managed to evolve!
    The reason is that many clans/tribes didn't migrate much, if at all, especially on a small island if they were all at peace. They would have had a common language for trading and such like however. Same applied to Isle of Wight when they were invaded, they had something close to 5 or 6 written dialects.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    The reason is that many clans/tribes didn't migrate much, if at all, especially on a small island if they were all at peace. They would have had a common language for trading and such like however. Same applied to Isle of Wight when they were invaded, they had something close to 5 or 6 written dialects.
    Can we invade the Isle of Wight again... Send our boys over on the hovercraft!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, Yes we can...in fact I demand that we do! haha

8. Thanks to nephilim from:

GREED (24th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Gogs just have a funny way of talking and breathing out at the same time. I'm sure the South Walians here know what I mean.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For anyone interested in listening to the differences between the Celtic languages, there are some tv channels which you can get online.

S4C for Welsh
    BBC Alba for Scottish
    TG4 for Irish
    There is a youtube channel done by Adrian Cain for Manx
    France 3 Ouest is done in Brittany for Breton.

As for Cornish, no clue!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    For anyone interested in listening to the differences between the Celtic languages, there are some tv channels which you can get online.

S4C for Welsh
    BBC Alba for Scottish
    TG4 for Irish
    There is a youtube channel done by Adrian Cain for Manx
    France 3 Ouest is done in Brittany for Breton.

As for Cornish, no clue!
    Try these Bays Cornish Oafs: Cornish Language / Kernewek - Numbers Part 1 - YouTube

ps its a bit tounge in cheek

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Perhaps though it is the system by which MPs are elected and represent at national level that is the issue. If your local MP is not representing your area, then he needs the boot!

Imagine for a moment we gave all money to local government. One decides that roads are terrible so builds a whacking great motorway to the authority boarder. You neighbouring authority has done no such thing, so the road ends up going nowhere...

It is a very extreme and silly case, but when you get down to that level of micro management of a country then there is no country.
    im not sure any system that elects mps is ever fair esp when they spend so much of their time away from their constituency (and just for a laugh im not entirely sure which mp is mine as the dividing line for boundries runs throught the middle of the estate im on for some daft reason and tbh the one i have had dealing with has been very helpful)

im do think that the 2.5 party system we have dosent encourage any more actual debate than 7 year olds who both think they are right and dont understand compramise so just shout at each other till one gives up

thats why you retain a cut down central govenment to oversee motorways as an example but leave councils to do local roads

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We should move to an anarcho-communist system. Direct democracy, no focus on 'ownership'. Focus on self-fulfilment of need rather than a misguided sense of want...

Thank Post
    Sorry to resurect this thread but found this on youtube which makes me think i'll stay the east side of the River next time I visit the folks

Free Cornwall - Cornwall is not England - YouTube

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    im not sure any system that elects mps is ever fair esp when they spend so much of their time away from their constituency (and just for a laugh im not entirely sure which mp is mine as the dividing line for boundries runs throught the middle of the estate im on for some daft reason and tbh the one i have had dealing with has been very helpful)

im do think that the 2.5 party system we have dosent encourage any more actual debate than 7 year olds who both think they are right and dont understand compramise so just shout at each other till one gives up

thats why you retain a cut down central govenment to oversee motorways as an example but leave councils to do local roads
    It would be nice to see some cooperation some of the time where there is genuine unity. Often, a great idea is argued down just because the other party 'has to take the other side'.

Thank Post
    Oi know Worzel probly be frum Zummerzet or Hampshoier, but oi figgured 'e wuz more recknisable than that Jethro feller.

Vote YES on Independence (of Cornwall)-thisbecornwall.jpg

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234