+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, Tips to (not) get the most out of your IT department in General; Originally Posted by torledo Originally Posted by rrichmond 83. After we broadcast a message to all computers that the email ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 811 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Tips to (not) get the most out of your IT department

Quote Originally Posted by torledo
    Quote Originally Posted by rrichmond
    83. After we broadcast a message to all computers that the email server is being powered down for half an hour, feel free to ring us and ask why you can't access your email.
    You mean to say you haven't disabled the messenger service on all your computers already.

Also, even i realise how annoying those messages are , so you've got no complaints if people phone up to hassle you.
    That off topic. People use it and this is not the place to discuss the messenger service and its merits. Post a new thread if you want to but dont discuss it in this thread.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

That off topic. People use it and this is not the place to discuss the messenger service and its merits. Post a new thread if you want to but dont discuss it in this thread.
    ?????

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 811 Posts
    Blog Entries

You mean to say you haven't disabled the messenger service on all your computers already.

Also, even i realise how annoying those messages are , so you've got no complaints if people phone up to hassle you.
    Not really a thread to start going on about the aspects of messenger service. Just nipping it in the bud before the tit for tat stuff starts again.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by rrichmond
    83. After we broadcast a message to all computers that the email server is being powered down for half an hour, feel free to ring us and ask why you can't access your email.

Hehehe....

No, no no.... We have a Novell Network and as administrators we can use the Novell client to broadcast a message to all computers.

The messenger service is disabled.

Thank Post

My fave is.

Constantly moan about the system and that you think its crap. I will not take offence in anyway and do not feel like coming into your maths lesson and telling you that your teaching is crap.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73
    My fave is.

Constantly moan about the system and that you think its crap. I will not take offence in anyway and do not feel like coming into your maths lesson and telling you that your teaching is crap.
    Or constantly moan that the system is slow and crap, but never provide enough funding to actually make the machines a decent spec, or to have relatively new ones.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrcrazy04

Or constantly moan that the system is slow and crap, but never provide enough funding to actually make the machines a decent spec, or to have relatively new ones.
    Hmmm very relevant to myself...try running XP SP2 on an AMD Athlon 850mhz with 256mb of RAM and then wonder why those 5 applications they have open at once are crashing...but dont bother giving us any funding, hey we love using other schools 4 year old cast offs!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Or, expecting miracles from a £0 budget........you plonkers!
    Last edited by tech_guy; 13th January 2008 at 09:22 PM.

Thank Post
    86. You want something printed in colour? luckily for you there's a couple of colour printers in my building i've got all the time in the world to print multiple copies and collate them for you and hand deliver them to you

Thank Post
    There's another.

"if your car won't start - go to IT and request help. Technicians can fix anything FAR better than your Vauxhall/Renault/Rover dealer can, using only a paper clip, a rubber mallet and the toolkit all techs carry in their boot..that "Sevice overdue" warning is only an advisory, after all."

or maybe:

"If you don't understand the onboard computer displays in your SAAB 93/95, go and ask the technician to explain them. They can even explain the buttons on the gearlever. One computer is much like another."

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    There's another.

"if your car won't start - go to IT and request help. Technicians can fix anything FAR better than your Vauxhall/Renault/Rover dealer can, using only a paper clip, a rubber mallet and the toolkit all techs carry in their boot..that "Sevice overdue" warning is only an advisory, after all."

or maybe:

"If you don't understand the onboard computer displays in your SAAB 93/95, go and ask the technician to explain them. They can even explain the buttons on the gearlever. One computer is much like another."
    eer we often deal with these things

Thank Post
    It's not that I mind..heh..but so far this last year I've had to do:

a battery removal/recharge/alternator fix on an Astra (not mine - mines in A1 shape)

2 jump starts

1 jump start that turned into a "fight the onboard computer for the right to start the car" with a Laguna (resolved by doing the "turn off, count to 10, welly the throttle and turn key whilst threatening car with a pickaxe" routine)

1 "book my rover in for a service somewhere local" and "can you reset the service indicator"

and a crash course in "managing your automatic gearbox and onboard systems" for a member of SMT

Creases me up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,693 Posts
    Sirbendy: Why?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    It's not that I mind..heh..but so far this last year I've had to do:

a battery removal/recharge/alternator fix on an Astra (not mine - mines in A1 shape)

2 jump starts

1 jump start that turned into a "fight the onboard computer for the right to start the car" with a Laguna (resolved by doing the "turn off, count to 10, welly the throttle and turn key whilst threatening car with a pickaxe" routine)

1 "book my rover in for a service somewhere local" and "can you reset the service indicator"

and a crash course in "managing your automatic gearbox and onboard systems" for a member of SMT

Creases me up.
    They must be aware that you're good with cars though?
    Cus otherwise why on earth would they ask IT to do stuff like that?
    I severely doubt anyone else on here gets asked to do things like that!

Thank Post
    I do most of my own work on mine, and I frequent the Vx owners clubs. I enjoy engines and whatnot, and before I did computing as a job, I worked in a Mitsubishi dealership repairing anything from tractors to lancers..but that was a long time ago, and not on my CV or anything.

I keep myself to myself TBH...all the staff know is I live local, I drive cheap cars, I don't drink or smoke, and I enjoy a laugh and have a distinct leaning towards hardware repair and electronics over software, and a love of experimenting with things.

Danged if I know how I got my "if anyone can do it, he can" rep.. Everything seems to come to IT eventually. Same as stripping and patch wiring burned out PCBs in CD players - "ooer..wires..go to IT". Unlock a mobile? "IT". Laptop full of sunscreen? "IT will strip that down, wash the boards and rebuild it to A1 spec with no data loss, sure as anything"..

The autobox tutorial was due to the fact that SAAB and VX Autoboxes don't seem to be too dissimilar, and the staff member had never owned one before, but I have.."what does the "S" button do? Or the "W"? Is "S" the snow mode?"..no, it's the "Sport" mode..which is why you had so much fun last time it snowed..

The Renault was possibly because I've owned 2, and I was chatting to the teacher about it because she's had loads of issues with it..or it may have been because it's the "all dancing" one with the computer screen and "Running Diagnostics - complete - Press Start" malarky.

The Astra alternator one was almost certainly down to me owning a MK3 Astra as well.."it won't start, here are her keys - see what you can do with it".

Seems i'm less an IT tech sometimes and more a general tech..heh.
    Last edited by Sirbendy; 14th January 2008 at 01:15 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345