+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Tips to (not) get the most out of your IT department in General; Originally Posted by Halfmad 32. Save those documents to your desktop, it saves space on the server and means we ...

Thank Post

Re: Tips to (not) get the most out of your IT department

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmad
    32. Save those documents to your desktop, it saves space on the server and means we don't wear out the backup tapes as quickly.

I would also love to put the list up in the staff room but again it would be obvious who did it

Definately gonna put it up in our office though

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 929 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder
    32. Save those documents to your desktop, it saves space on the server and means we don't wear out the backup tapes as quickly.

I would also love to put the list up in the staff room but again it would be obvious who did it

Definately gonna put it up in our office though
    you missed the compulsary it also means that backups will take faaaaar less time

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748
    we are (of course) primarily here to remove 35 paper jams a day, and are delighted that you do not know the difference (and can’t choose between) A4 and A3.

I quite often get "can i put card/cloth in this laser printer?", and then after my reply of "no, it will break it", a disbelieving "but it worked in so and so's printer"

No.1 Why ask the question if you aint gunna accept the answer. And no.2 do you not think its abit of a coinsidence that none of the printers you have used will feed paper anymore!
    Gahhhh, we did actualy have some rocket scientist put inkjet photopaper in a colour laser printer. Very messy.

Thank Post

41. Call us any time of the day or night. We're geeks and therefore dont require a social life. We're always at a computer, and can access your home wireless, and configure your ISP settings remotely. If we do happen to be away from a computer, we can visualise whatever random software package your using and talk you through it. Also please feel free to pass our details on to your great aunt, cousin, neighbour or that random guy in the pub who sits muttering in to his beer. We have no friends of our own, and would love to chat to them while we sort out their PC for free.

42. Got a powercut and need to use your PC? Let us know, there a secret battery backup that will power your PC, your internet connection and the entire infrastucture of your street if needed, and we've got the password!

43. When we're sitting looking puzzled at a PC we're not busy we're probably playing freecell, just ask us whatever you need to.

44. If there's a major problem that has taken out the entire network, and we're frantically trying to find the cause, keep phoning us and asking how long it will take to fix. The interruptions will help focus us and your constant calls telling us that you need to send an urgent birthday email to your aunt dorris will make us go faster.

Thank Post

45. Nag us constantly about that inkjet printer jam, we're not capable of remembering or prioritising workload so it helps to have someone on our backs 24/7. Remind us twice as often if it's something that you probably could do yourself, have done in the past or simply can't be bothered doing.

Thank Post

@ Lee_K_81 - #41 that’s so true! I often get calls from random folk trying to get some free support!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by plock
    @ Lee_K_81 - #41 that’s so true! I often get calls from random folk trying to get some free support!
    My home telephone number is actually in the yellow pages as a computer shop - waste of advertising putting wrong number in. I often get phonecalls for them. Sooooo tempted at time to say yes it is, do you want me to collect and deliver back, and then charge loads!

Thank Post

Following on from 42

46. If there is no power to your PC, don't bother checking any other electrical devices whatsoever and calling the caretaker, call IT straight away.

47. And then when we come down and inform you theres no power, sigh and tut at the fact we dont know the location of every fusebox and trip switch, despite us not having anything to do with the electrics

Thank Post

45. Nag us constantly about that inkjet printer jam, we're not capable of remembering or prioritising workload so it helps to have someone on our backs 24/7. Remind us twice as often if it's something that you probably could do yourself, have done in the past or simply can't be bothered doing.
    Very appropriate for where I work too... paper jams are the worst culprits, so difficult to check the paper try isn't it

This one from Halfmad too is the best though!
    33. Save the school money by bringing in your nephews old 60Mhz pentium that he stopped using when he went to university in 1996, we can always do with a new door stop.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81
    My home telephone number is actually in the yellow pages as a computer shop - waste of advertising putting wrong number in. I often get phonecalls for them. Sooooo tempted at time to say yes it is, do you want me to collect and deliver back, and then charge loads!
    hehe - I think you should, you could make yourself a tidy little packet!

Following on from 'sidewinder' #23 - Don't tell us the Make or Model of the printer because we can remember all 10 makes and models and where they're located on site.

Thank Post

On a side note, and kind of inline with another thread http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...er=asc&start=0 it is a good job jake is taking a bit of a sabatical with katem's profile pic. He'd be all over you like a rash!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,376 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81
    On a side note, and kind of inline with another thread http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...er=asc&start=0 it is a good job jake is taking a bit of a sabatical with katem's profile pic. He'd be all over you like a rash!
    LOL, he locked himself in the cage with any luck

Thank Post

48) Please check that you have enough printer credits before you come screaming at me that every printer in the building is broken.

49)If the main server goes down please all tell me that you cant access your e-mails as this will be my new priority.

50)Please go out and buy the most expensive piece of crap software that the school budget can buy without consulting me, i'll be glad to take all of the blame for it's faults.

51)Please dont tell us that we "must have the best computer in the world at home" when you know exactly how much we get paid.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,360 Times in 1,738 Posts

52. Please tell us on a regular basis that you cannot logon onto the internet. It never works for anyone else on the staff either as they all have the school email system as their home page too.

PS Google is in Favorites > Search Engines and that logon screen you see is for the email, not dial-up

Thank Post

53. Please wait untill 30 minutes before your presentation to ask us to make a PowerPoint with music. We have a library of every music track ever created, and never have anything better to do than make a PowerPoint file.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast