+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Congratulations Rich_Tech in General; Evening all, Just a public congratulations to Rich_Tech for becoming our school Network Manager. After some major life changes on ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Congratulations Rich_Tech

Evening all,

Just a public congratulations to Rich_Tech for becoming our school Network Manager. After some major life changes on my side of things I've recently resigned from the job and the school have rightly decided not to advertise but to give the job directly to Richard.

So my involvement in the network side of things will be scaled back. It's tough to do as I am a strong believer that there is a massive overlap between netman and ict coordinator. But - Richard now can make network changes that benefit the network. I simply tell him off if they mess with the teaching and learning :-))))

It's how it should be.

So I thank everyone here for their support whilst I was network Manager and wish Rict_Tech the very best of luck putting up with me being a normal teacher and hassling him for work to be done )))

Good luck Richard

Gareth

2. 4 Thanks to garethedmondson:

ButterflyMoon (11th April 2014), elsiegee40 (11th April 2014), rich_tech (12th April 2014), speckytecky (12th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Congratulations both...enjoy the changes

4. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

rich_tech (12th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Congrats @rich_tech. Will you have to change your name now to rich_manager?

6. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Congratulations to both of you!
    So, Gareth, you are just going to be doing the teaching now then? I never did understand how you combined NM and IT teacher

8. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Thanks Gareth,

Nice of you to make this thread was out last night so I am now catching up with edugeek over morning coffee on the chromebook

He still helps out with the IT to be fair, we are a department of 2 people doing the IT work in a "medium" sized comprehensive (we are heading towards 1000+ pupils on roll in the next couple of years, our IT system is about 450 devices on our network at the moment, but looking like expanding with Wireless across the site soon enough I think).

We have both been doing the technical work since I started and over the last two years+ I think we have refreshed and revamped a lot of the school very much for the better, we have gone virtualised for all our in-house servers now, which was the largest scale IT project I have been involved with in years and was fun and scary at times (especially when HP drivers caused some bluescreens on our newly built cluster I found).
    Last edited by rich_tech; 12th April 2014 at 10:13 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations to the both of you. Good to see some common sense being accepted and applied. Sadly that seems so lacking in many establishment nowadays.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Congratulations both...enjoy the changes
    I'm not sure it will be as easy for me. Having looked after the whole lot for such a long time it was a tough decision to step back. Luckily we work well together (unlike the last bloke!!!) - I also know Rich_Tech is on the same page (hope...lololol).

Gareth

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Congratulations to both of you!
    So, Gareth, you are just going to be doing the teaching now then? I never did understand how you combined NM and IT teacher
    Hiya - um yes and no. Ultimately all decisions still come down to me as part of the ICT Coordinator role - but changes on the network are Richards. However if it could affect teaching and learning then it has to be run past me first. The budget also comes under me as well. Otherwise Richard can do what he likes.

We've always worked well together and run decisions past each other. We are a good team and realise we provide a service for others to benefit from.

Gje

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    I'm not sure it will be as easy for me. Having looked after the whole lot for such a long time it was a tough decision to step back. Luckily we work well together (unlike the last bloke!!!) - I also know Rich_Tech is on the same page (hope...lololol).

Gareth
    I found it easier than I expected... I reserve the right to look blank now when something doesn't work The important bit is keeping your beak out of things that you used to control and only getting involved in the detail when invited to do so.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    Thanks Gareth,

Nice of you to make this thread was out last night so I am now catching up with edugeek over morning coffee on the chromebook

He still helps out with the IT to be fair, we are a department of 2 people doing the IT work in a "medium" sized comprehensive (we are heading towards 1000+ pupils on roll in the next couple of years, our IT system is about 450 devices on our network at the moment, but looking like expanding with Wireless across the site soon enough I think).

We have both been doing the technical work since I started and over the last two years+ I think we have refreshed and revamped a lot of the school very much for the better, we have gone virtualised for all our in-house servers now, which was the largest scale IT project I have been involved with in years and was fun and scary at times (especially when HP drivers caused some bluescreens on our newly built cluster I found).
    You are welcome. Hope you had a nice night. It's always nice to congratulate - not enough of that goes on in our school.

'He' - meaning me. Yes I do help out. I am the resident MDT Guru :-) If Richard even looks at my MDT server in the wrong way then I will chop his hands off. :-) To be fair Richard has taken a lot off my hands over the past few years.

Funnily enough - I've had more time this week and have knocked up new Quicktime and Google Earth MSI packages to be sent out and also prepared Chrome for the network.

I enjoy doing this sort of thing - always have but maybe know too much for a teacher :-) I'm just a teacher - you can all take the piss out of me now.

We are growing as a school, which isn't a bad thing. The network isn't quite where I want it to be. We are still tidying up a lot of mess left by the previous technician - bad wiring, bad cabinets etc. But we will get there. Due to personal matters, now was the right time to pass this stuff on. I'll always help - we are still a team providing a service at the end of the day.

Gareth

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Congratulations to the both of you. Good to see some common sense being accepted and applied. Sadly that seems so lacking in many establishment nowadays.
    Common sense? Yes maybe so. It was hard making the decision but I have no doubt it was the right one. MY problem is that I am still a fiddler and an eager to help in anyway I can - luckily I know what I am doing.

GJE

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread