+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Cloning.. What are your thoughts? in General; I'm curious to know what peoples thoughts are on the recent cloning thing going on? Rebecca Smith: Why I became ...
    Thank Post

Cloning.. What are your thoughts?

I'm curious to know what peoples thoughts are on the recent cloning thing going on?

Rebecca Smith: Why I became owner of Britain's first cloned dog - Rebecca Smith - Mirror Online

Channel 4 follows competition to give a dog a clone - Channel 4 - Info - Press

Personally I think it is wrong but would like to get everyone's views

Matt

Thank Post
    Don't really see the point of this specifically... Whilst the dog is genetically identical, environmental factors will mean the dog will grow up with different characteristics to the original.

I can see the attraction of it from a commercial point of view that if you clone an animal with near perfect genetics for the purpose you intend to use it you can continue to clone it and it continue to be perfect.

Thank Post
    Same, I can see why people want to do it and I also think that its an amazing feat of science but call me old school, I don't think it is morally acceptable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have no issue with the technology or it being used where it makes sense. I have no moral issue with it - it doesn't hurt anyone. However, I do think it is wrong to be creating even more pets when there are 10s of millions of dogs living on the streets of the EU which need homes!

Thank Post
    Inevitably I think it will transpire that they want to start cloning Humans.. How do people feel about that?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    meh, can't see what all the fuss is about. It's amazing that we can do these things and no doubt as time goes on and the technology advances it'll get safer, more reliable, and maybe even have medical uses. To me it's the same storm in a teacup that surrounds GM crops. Let's hear what the experts have to say and ensure the field is properly regulated and leave it at that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairm010 View Post
    Inevitably I think it will transpire that they want to start cloning Humans.. How do people feel about that?
    Again, I have no moral issue with it - so long as it is limited to the extent where it doesn't become a problem with genetic variation (that would be many years in the future though). If it were, say, to clone Einstein, that might make sense - one of the world's greatest minds carries on working! It should also never be used as a method of getting new organs...

But for the average person, it makes no sense.

Thank Post
    As long as they promise not to clone my wife then i'm happy

Thank Post
    Haha, imagine that! Imagine showing Einstein an iPad, the ISS, an Airbus. Brilliant!

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Again, I have no moral issue with it - so long as it is limited to the extent where it doesn't become a problem with genetic variation (that would be many years in the future though). If it were, say, to clone Einstein, that might make sense - one of the world's greatest minds carries on working! It should also never be used as a method of getting new organs...

But for the average person, it makes no sense.
    Haha, imagine that! Imagine showing Einstein an iPad, the ISS, an Airbus. Brilliant!
    I think cloning the likes of Einstein would in itself be a fascinating experiment - obviously the clone will have none of Einstein's memories or share the same experiences, so would he still be a genius? Would he be able to intuitively understand the original's findings? Would he be able to expand on them? Or would he be an average Joe? Would knowing he's a clone drive him insane, or even the pressure of expectation?

It's all very Sci-Fi!

Thank Post
    Point being if you clone something your just making it the same though the mind won't be the same. So if you clone a 34 year old man with vast knowledge of Science the clone won't have that it would be a fully formed man but with all the characteristics of a baby as it hasn't learnt yet surely? From a medical aspect it could be cool, the fact you could clone organs your body wouldn't reject it and then as we can already genetically modify the DNA we would take lets say the "Cancer" structure away from the clone DNA and insert it into the new hosts body. The body wouldn't reject the organ as it is as far as it's concerned the same organ and belongs to you it just doesn't have the gene that makes it cancerous.

Cloning a whole human would be illegal, think of the fraudulent damage one could do with a clone....

13. Thanks to abillybob from:

CHR1S (11th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Point being if you clone something your just making it the same though the mind won't be the same. So if you clone a 34 year old man with vast knowledge of Science the clone won't have that it would be a fully formed man but with all the characteristics of a baby as it hasn't learnt yet surely? From a medical aspect it could be cool, the fact you could clone organs your body wouldn't reject it and then as we can already genetically modify the DNA we would take lets say the "Cancer" structure away from the clone DNA and insert it into the new hosts body. The body wouldn't reject the organ as it is as far as it's concerned the same organ and belongs to you it just doesn't have the gene that makes it cancerous.

Cloning a whole human would be illegal, think of the fraudulent damage one could do with a clone....
    Haha, exactly what you just described, see: The Island (2005 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cloning is a tool, what makes it good or evil is the intent of the people involved.

Thank Post
    Haha, exactly what you just described, see: The Island (2005 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I am watching this tonight.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast