+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 90
General Chat Thread, Cloning.. What are your thoughts? in General; I'm curious to know what peoples thoughts are on the recent cloning thing going on? Rebecca Smith: Why I became ...
  1. #1
    fairm010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    C:/Windows/System32/
    Posts
    1,298
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 167 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    49

    Cloning.. What are your thoughts?

    I'm curious to know what peoples thoughts are on the recent cloning thing going on?

    Rebecca Smith: Why I became owner of Britain's first cloned dog - Rebecca Smith - Mirror Online

    Channel 4 follows competition to give a dog a clone - Channel 4 - Info - Press

    Personally I think it is wrong but would like to get everyone's views

    Matt

  2. #2

    Oaktech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    2,968
    Thank Post
    838
    Thanked 578 Times in 451 Posts
    Rep Power
    275
    Don't really see the point of this specifically... Whilst the dog is genetically identical, environmental factors will mean the dog will grow up with different characteristics to the original.

    I can see the attraction of it from a commercial point of view that if you clone an animal with near perfect genetics for the purpose you intend to use it you can continue to clone it and it continue to be perfect.

  3. #3
    fairm010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    C:/Windows/System32/
    Posts
    1,298
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 167 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    Same, I can see why people want to do it and I also think that its an amazing feat of science but call me old school, I don't think it is morally acceptable.

  4. #4

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,131
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    875
    I have no issue with the technology or it being used where it makes sense. I have no moral issue with it - it doesn't hurt anyone. However, I do think it is wrong to be creating even more pets when there are 10s of millions of dogs living on the streets of the EU which need homes!

  5. #5
    fairm010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    C:/Windows/System32/
    Posts
    1,298
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 167 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    Inevitably I think it will transpire that they want to start cloning Humans.. How do people feel about that?

  6. #6

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,850
    Thank Post
    874
    Thanked 939 Times in 776 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    335
    meh, can't see what all the fuss is about. It's amazing that we can do these things and no doubt as time goes on and the technology advances it'll get safer, more reliable, and maybe even have medical uses. To me it's the same storm in a teacup that surrounds GM crops. Let's hear what the experts have to say and ensure the field is properly regulated and leave it at that.

  7. #7

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,131
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by fairm010 View Post
    Inevitably I think it will transpire that they want to start cloning Humans.. How do people feel about that?
    Again, I have no moral issue with it - so long as it is limited to the extent where it doesn't become a problem with genetic variation (that would be many years in the future though). If it were, say, to clone Einstein, that might make sense - one of the world's greatest minds carries on working! It should also never be used as a method of getting new organs...

    But for the average person, it makes no sense.

  8. #8
    pooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    S Wales
    Posts
    1,166
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 130 Times in 107 Posts
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by fairm010 View Post
    Inevitably I think it will transpire that they want to start cloning Humans.. How do people feel about that?
    As long as they promise not to clone my wife then i'm happy

  9. #9
    fairm010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    C:/Windows/System32/
    Posts
    1,298
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 167 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    Haha, imagine that! Imagine showing Einstein an iPad, the ISS, an Airbus. Brilliant!

  10. #10

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    9,088
    Thank Post
    352
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 903 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1135

  11. #11

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,562
    Thank Post
    1,469
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Rep Power
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Again, I have no moral issue with it - so long as it is limited to the extent where it doesn't become a problem with genetic variation (that would be many years in the future though). If it were, say, to clone Einstein, that might make sense - one of the world's greatest minds carries on working! It should also never be used as a method of getting new organs...

    But for the average person, it makes no sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by fairm010 View Post
    Haha, imagine that! Imagine showing Einstein an iPad, the ISS, an Airbus. Brilliant!
    I think cloning the likes of Einstein would in itself be a fascinating experiment - obviously the clone will have none of Einstein's memories or share the same experiences, so would he still be a genius? Would he be able to intuitively understand the original's findings? Would he be able to expand on them? Or would he be an average Joe? Would knowing he's a clone drive him insane, or even the pressure of expectation?

    It's all very Sci-Fi!

  12. #12

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,964
    Thank Post
    397
    Thanked 390 Times in 276 Posts
    Rep Power
    234
    Point being if you clone something your just making it the same though the mind won't be the same. So if you clone a 34 year old man with vast knowledge of Science the clone won't have that it would be a fully formed man but with all the characteristics of a baby as it hasn't learnt yet surely? From a medical aspect it could be cool, the fact you could clone organs your body wouldn't reject it and then as we can already genetically modify the DNA we would take lets say the "Cancer" structure away from the clone DNA and insert it into the new hosts body. The body wouldn't reject the organ as it is as far as it's concerned the same organ and belongs to you it just doesn't have the gene that makes it cancerous.

    Cloning a whole human would be illegal, think of the fraudulent damage one could do with a clone....

  13. Thanks to abillybob from:

    CHR1S (11th April 2014)

  14. #13
    fairm010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    C:/Windows/System32/
    Posts
    1,298
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 167 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Point being if you clone something your just making it the same though the mind won't be the same. So if you clone a 34 year old man with vast knowledge of Science the clone won't have that it would be a fully formed man but with all the characteristics of a baby as it hasn't learnt yet surely? From a medical aspect it could be cool, the fact you could clone organs your body wouldn't reject it and then as we can already genetically modify the DNA we would take lets say the "Cancer" structure away from the clone DNA and insert it into the new hosts body. The body wouldn't reject the organ as it is as far as it's concerned the same organ and belongs to you it just doesn't have the gene that makes it cancerous.

    Cloning a whole human would be illegal, think of the fraudulent damage one could do with a clone....
    Haha, exactly what you just described, see: The Island (2005 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  15. #14

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,239
    Thank Post
    882
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    784
    Cloning is a tool, what makes it good or evil is the intent of the people involved.

  16. #15

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,964
    Thank Post
    397
    Thanked 390 Times in 276 Posts
    Rep Power
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by fairm010 View Post
    Haha, exactly what you just described, see: The Island (2005 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I am watching this tonight.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What are your thoughts on this from our website provider/host?
    By Ben_Stanton in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 14th January 2014, 11:09 AM
  2. What are your reporting methods?
    By indiegirl in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 22nd June 2012, 09:58 AM
  3. D-Link Wireless kit, what are your thoughts?
    By wagnerk in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26th March 2009, 09:53 PM
  4. Home drive size limits - what are yours?
    By tarquel in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 16th July 2008, 09:58 AM
  5. For Information - What are your pay scales?
    By ninjabeaver in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th February 2008, 05:54 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •