+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Driving Practical Test - FAIL in General; When I did my test in Australia in the 1980s, you had to park between two sticks. I ran the ...

Thank Post
    When I did my test in Australia in the 1980s, you had to park between two sticks. I ran the stick over (green stick standing in front of a green bush) and when I pointed this out to the examiner, he gave me another go. There was a set time limit for the test, and the test started in a supermarket car park. I wasted a few minutes by "accidently" missing the exit and having to go all the way around again. When my girlfriend did her motorbike test, she managed to loose the police car that was following her, but she still passed. When I did my bike test, the police didn't follow me, he just said "Go to the end of the road, chuck a U-ee and come back". I did and he had gone back into the police station and gave me licence when I walked in the door. My UK test was much harder, having to reverse around a corner that was about 120 degrees. Passed first time, no sweat.

Thank Post
    I really hope I pass 2nd time, it's so expensive, the test fee and fees for my instructor etc.

Nothing like actually running a motor of course but I can manage that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    He was going pretty fast in my defence, I thought it was safer to mover since the right hand lane was free... fair enough I should of moved back over straight away.
    If the right hand lane was free then surely he would have overtaken you which is legal? If you move into the right hand lane lane at the same time as he decides to overtake then there will likely be an accident hence the failure.

I failed my first test for waving at a friend whilst parked at some lights The instructor thought I was waving someone across and that is a no no.

4. Thanks to Graham-Millgate from:

cpjitservices (10th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by E_G_R2 View Post
    When I passed my test I was practicing just before the test when off all people a Taxi Driver drove past and shouted through the window 'you've got a good one there' which filled me with confidence
    Round here I wouldn't take a taxi driver's endorsement of driving skills as counting for anything!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Practical was no problem, passed first time. It's the theory that caused me problems (I swear the actual test had a diffent answer to a question than the practice exam software I was using!).

I say no problem, I did think I failed until the examiner surprised with a pass. Going down a winding country lane, 60mph limit, and I get stuck on my gears. Trying to put into 5th but keep getting 3rd. Afters 2 or 3 attempts I say "b*ll*cks, I've failed anyway" (to myself) and leave the car in third.

Later, thinking I'd already failed, I asked the examiner to check my clearence on a "multi-point turn".

Thank Post
    I know someone who knocked someone down on his way back to the test centre at the end of his test. The person walked in front of the car, giving him no time to brake. He sent the examiner to direct traffic and performed first aid until the ambulance arrived. He was a St John's Instructor, which helped. He passed.

Thank Post
    I've rebooked it or shall I say my instructor has done it for me, I hope a cancellation comes up as it's nearly two months away!

Thank Post
    I passed my bike test 2nd time after failing to cancel an indicator, speeding a tiny bit and negotiating a roundabout too fast (but not speeding) on the first one. Second time I got 1 minor for an unnecessary lane change (I didn't hear the instruction over the radio clearly). I passed my driving test first time with just one minor for stalling at a set of traffic lights.

Thank Post
    I should have failed my test with a major but argued my way out of it!

The island we were at had a zebra crossing about 3/4 car length from the mouth of the island, the woman in front pulled out and I started to move into her space. She promptly slammed her brakes on and rolled back leaving me stopped blocking the crossing with a car up my backside.

I argued that if I had waited I would have had a minor for hesitation, which he agreed and noted that I was aware of the situation and was out of my control, so I passed

Thank Post
    Here's a tough one for you...a mate of mine was failed recently. After being told to turn left, 1st exit, from a roundabout, a young child threw a ball into the road and his mother ran into the road to retrieve it forcing my friend to do an emergency brake. This forced the car behind him to slow down and as a result of that, he failed his test!

Thank Post
    I really wouldn't worry about it - harder said than done I know, especially at £100+ a pop. It really is just luck of the draw.

My mate passed his first time even though he:
    Was speeding.
    Didn't STOP on his emergency stop.
    When asked to pull over at a safe location he stopped right in front of a HGV trying to pull away.
    Hit a curb when parking.
    ... basically every major he could have got he did, except the examiner just let him off??? Even two years on he still can't drive. Watching him get off my drive is funny.

Yet I failed one test for speeding - 35 in a 40??? And one for glancing a curb when parking - stopped immediately as I knew I'd messed my angle slightly and knew I was either going to just touch or just miss. Passed my third test with 4 minors. Previous tests were 0 minors and 1 minor (or it may have been 1, 2 & 3. I just know I got 6 minors over 3 tests). I was convinced I'd failed my third as my driving was terrible, much much worse than my previous two. I could hardly hold the clutch down I was that nervous.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 10th April 2014 at 03:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woreilly View Post
    Here's a tough one for you...a mate of mine was failed recently. After being told to turn left, 1st exit, from a roundabout, a young child threw a ball into the road and his mother ran into the road to retrieve it forcing my friend to do an emergency brake. This forced the car behind him to slow down and as a result of that, he failed his test!
    Two of my friends failed their tests for pretty much the same thing, both to avoid hitting moronic cyclists who had pulled out in front of them without looking. Asking around my sixth form we discovered it was a common occurrence in the town where I grew up. Those of us who hadn't taken our test yet swore a pact that if it happened to us we'd just run the b******s over seeing as we were going to fail anyway. Apparently the cyclists must have heard as the rest of us avoided any two-wheeled calamities.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Yes the 2nd test was pretty normal. lol. Failed still, but that was my own fault. Rolled back on a hill start because I had bad clutch control.
    Shouldn't have been put in for the test then.

Thank Post
    Driving? Me? No way. Eyesight won't let me. *grabs bus pass*

Thank Post
    Wouldnt worry about it. Took me 5 'practice' tests before they let me pass. Everything from hesitation, wrong gear, speeding, double parking. Although on one of those I did see a big X so thought s*d it, I will just drive 'normally'. Ended up with 4 majors and about 30 minors

Although, passed my bike test 1st time with no faults at all!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast