+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Where to discuss BYOD in General; Hi, I am looking to discuss BYOD setups - could anyone direct me to the appropriate forum? Thanks...
    Thank Post

Where to discuss BYOD

Hi,

I am looking to discuss BYOD setups - could anyone direct me to the appropriate forum?

Thanks

Thank Post
    There is no specific forum for it, but you can find threads about it in various parts of the forum, the search function will help you highlight these threads.

3. Thanks to rich_tech from:

JohnRMoore (5th April 2014)

Thank Post
    I am am wondering why this is. I would have thought that BYOD was massively interesting and challenging in equal measures. Is it in fact such a well established technology that it's hardly worth mentioning, or so on the fringe that there is a general unawareness, or is it so well known to be problematic that nobody's touching it with the proverbial stick? I am finding it really hard to get a feel for this - quite stressful as I would like to implement BYOD but can't find a supplier capable of even returning an email never mind explaining what's involved!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    This is the difinitive answer from @Dos_Box in another thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    - For leasing questions people either use the Hardware or How do you do it? forums
    - For BYOD you can use Netbooks, PDA and Phones (we shall be changing the name!)
    - to ask about devices and the network infrastructure use the Wireless Networks forum.
    The Admins are trying to come up with a method of renaming forums without messing up the search engines. It is more complicated than you would expect. In the meantime wrongly placed threads get shifted by us moderators

Thank Post

Where to discuss BYOD

BYOD includes subjects which already have sections on here. Filtering and firewalling, networking and wireless, VLE's etc.

People who can offer advice on the subject generally find the threads through searching and 'latest posts'.

[edit] sorry I seem to have been posting at the same time.
    Last edited by IrritableTech; 5th April 2014 at 09:40 AM.

7. Thanks to IrritableTech from:

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRMoore View Post
    Is it in fact such a well established technology that it's hardly worth mentioning,
    I'd actually probably go with this. Just like the other magic words du jour right now, "virtualisation" and "cloud", nothing magical happened because someone said "BYOD" in a meeting. Universities, for example, have been allowing students to plug into parts of their network (even if only a DMZ with a route to the internet) for years.

Also "BYOD" means different things to different people. If you define exactly what your expectations are you can usually quickly see what you need (or at least get more useful help from suppliers); there's a big difference between going to a supplier and saying "I want to BYOD ALL THE THINGS" and "I need a price to implement the following Aruba Clearpass modules, in a nice joined up manner, to onboard the personal devices of my users".

9. Thanks to Roberto from:

Thank Post
    Thanks Roberto. All I would want is for staff and visitors to connect to the internet. Is this BYOD or just a 'hotspot' or both? For students I'm not so sure, because questions will be asked with regards to how we ensure safe usage. In simple terms, they could log into google apps and get on with the usual collaborative work we already do in our computer suite. Our impero would be no use here though. And they could happily download all sorts of nasties using dodgy proxy servers. Is this why an extra layer of technology is required? I suppose I really need to move forum, but you seem knowledgable!

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Well there's a number of different issues here:

"Onboarding": the fancy name for enrolling guest devices. You need to have a mechanism in place that allows you to associate a user with their device to stop random people just connecting to an unprotected guest network.

Ideally you want this to involve actually enrolling their device (e.g. using something like a device profile with an authentication certificate) and if the students are old enough to make this a useful exercise, making sure they agree to an additional AUP before they sign up, which means you can't really just set up a wireless hotspot or two with a shared passwords, as students will just share passwords with their friends.

You might of course decide that actually you're happy to let this happen because you don't need anything fancier than a simple wireless hotspot, and that's fine, but its good to know that its a choice you can make. In any case, I would suggest this is a part of safeguarding - being able to see who has accessed dangerous material is obviously better than just knowing someone has.

Safeguarding/Security: You would probably want internet access to be filtered. We use a sonicwall system here to filter all our users, both wired & wireless devices we own and guest devices, but there are plenty of other alternatives out there. Smoothwall is one example that's well supported on Edugeek.

There's also the question of what the devices can see on your LAN. If you're just plugging wireless access points into your current network on an ad-hoc basis then you need to think about if you want the students using personal devices to be able to see what's on your internal LAN, or if you want to keep guest wireless traffic separate from your LAN and only route traffic out onto the web so they can only access your external services, google apps and the like.

It goes without saying of course that the cost of a project will start to skyrocket if you need to buy in a lot of new devices and consultancy. I work for a college where we budget quite a lot of money for delivery of wireless services and I'm still not entirely happy with what we've got at the moment.
    Last edited by Roberto; 5th April 2014 at 12:09 PM.

12. Thanks to Roberto from:

Thank Post
    Our specific setup at the moment as we are using Aruba equipment through our existing AD system, it operates a Guest and a "Proper" network.

Guest network is an open unsecured wifi that any user can connect to in the school areas covered by our 4 wifi APs, on connection it takes them to a "Capture Portal" page where they must log in with some further AD credentials to get any further (we have a Guest user account that we lend out to people needing the web who come into the school) for staff and students, it is set to filter the internet at the appropriate level then for their access. It took a long time to get this system working and right, but its stable now for us with few issues, one of the few we found is that every so often the team will basically delete 5,000 devices off our controller, where the kids have tried to take their phones/ipods online and connect once or its failed to connect. When machines are authed onto the guest network, they have internet access and that is it, they do not have any further connectivity to our systems internally.

The "Proper" network is secured and has an SSID and will only allow machines already placed in our networking ADs to connect to that (we have a couple of windows laptops we use for this purpose) when the devices are setup on this, they function the same as any other machine on the network and have full (albeit slower because wifi is 100mb whereas wired network is largely 1gb across the board) access to the network and all the servers and normal functions same as any particular curriculum/admin network machine.

14. Thanks to rich_tech from:

Thank Post
    Thanks Rich, could a member of staff use the guest internet access on their iphone/ipad, or just windows OS? It sounds just what we need; would this type of guest access be difficult or expensive to set up? We already have a good wired and wifi AD network. In the first instance I just want staff to use their own devices as a precursor to trying it with students. Also, what can be monitored on guest devices in the way of preventing/detecting breaches of network acceptable usage policies? Sorry for the shameless stream I questions - any answers appreciated if and when you get the time!

Thank Post
    Hi,

I am looking to discuss BYOD setups - could anyone direct me to the appropriate forum?

Thanks

Where to post/look depends on a) what stage you are at and b) what software/hardware you're using.

If you already have the hardware, you'll find various threads dedicated to it dotted about the forum, if you're looking to discuss options and opinions the networking and hardware forums are probably your best bet.

17. Thanks to AMLightfoot from:

JohnRMoore (8th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Does you site have anyone technical you can put these queries by? It really does make me sigh when I see thread like this, I really do think you should seek professional assistance / site survey to establish what you have and what you require to facilitate these requests.

19. Thanks to Galway from:

Thank Post
    We currently allow BYOD.

All on a separate hotspot which has no access to anything else across our system, even some of the smarter Students have tried (especially those really clued up).

They still need an account to access our internet though which is filtered. Pretty much covered site wide for wireless APs and everything is configured by our network guy who does know his stuff.

21. Thanks to mthomas08 from:

Thank Post
    If it helps there is a whole 'Technical forum' thread on Wireless technology - you might find that to be a helpful place to start?

23. Thanks to AMLightfoot from:

Thank Post
    Thanks Rich, could a member of staff use the guest internet access on their iphone/ipad, or just windows OS? It sounds just what we need; would this type of guest access be difficult or expensive to set up?
    Any device can generally connect to a portal page, as its the type of experience users get when they go to coffee shops or pubs and connect to the WiFi there. Just they normally sign in with an e-mail address for the big chains. As for how difficult it is to setup, that depends on your existing wireless system. Managed WiFi systems (such as Aruba, Ruckus, Meru etc) have the ability to setup a guest SSID with a login page. More basic systems would rely on you having a SSID setup with a pass phrase you can provide users with just like your typical home broadband providers access point.

If you want to separate the Guest network from your main network traffic, then you start getting into more technicial territory with setting up Virtual LAN's (vLans) on your network switches and having the Guest network on a different vLan ID. How expensive this is depends on your current infrastructure.

25. Thanks to Boredguy from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast