+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Is it always so loud? in General; I went to the cinema for the first time in 20 years (Jurassic Park was the last film I saw)! ...

Thank Post

Is it always so loud?

I went to the cinema for the first time in 20 years (Jurassic Park was the last film I saw)! Took a group of kids to see Muppets Most Wanted and my ears are still hurting. I'm sure the decibel level must have been over the limit. The film wasn't brilliant either.

Thank Post
    Yes, it is always L O U D ! Between that and paying 10 to be force fed 1/2 hour of adverts, I've given up on it.

Thank Post
    What........ eh?........ yes 8 O Clock

I only go on rare occasions to the "big" multi screen cinema now, as not only are the tickets high but also the food and drink!

I recently found a local single screen cinema which reminds me of how cinema use to be (including the decor...... yes the cinema is that old lol)

The price for two adult is the same price as a single adult at the multi screen cinema plus it has the added bonus of not being as loud.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Yes, it is ridiculously loud. Small cinemas are better
    Our Empire has "studios" where they show films in their last couple of weeks - we go there if we can - much quieter and only 10 rows deep, heavily raked - sit at the back and the view, and sound, are great

Thank Post
    Nope. You just got old!

6. Thanks to Disaster from:

iceman85 (4th April 2014)

Thank Post
    The Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle is like old cinemas from back in the day. Beautiful decor very art deco plus they have two seater couches for folk to sit on!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Cinema can sod right off. Far too loud, far too many people. I know you get to see things first there, but frankly if you're a movie fan you'll save money in the long run investing in a large TV and decent sound system plus you'll have better company and food.

Thank Post
    It was an Empire. Two adults and twelve kids for 70, so not too bad price-wise.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It was in fact my last trip to the cinema with my then pregnant wife to see Indy Jones and the Kingdom of the Thing that Not Many People Enjoyed that prompted me to get a decent telly and sound setup. Not quite a man cave but I'm working on it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    The Cinema can sod right off. Far too loud, far too many people. I know you get to see things first there, but frankly if you're a movie fan you'll save money in the long run investing in a large TV and decent sound system plus you'll have better company and food.
    +1 to all of this, including the sod right off.

I can wait six months for the blu-ray (rip).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I went to the cinema for the first time in 20 years (Jurassic Park was the last film I saw)! Took a group of kids to see Muppets Most Wanted and my ears are still hurting. I'm sure the decibel level must have been over the limit. The film wasn't brilliant either.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Yes, it is always L O U D ! Between that and paying 10 to be force fed 1/2 hour of adverts, I've given up on it.

Is it always so loud?-i-don-t-get-_ca989317b6b8a441b05e969166f901a2.png

Thank Post
    To be fair (grudgingly I suppose), the THX reference volume on my home set-up is too loud too. But I can turn it down, I don't have to sit through 30 minutes of ads and I can have a nice glass of wine with the film.

Thank Post
    The cost of cineams and the chavvy nature of the audience puts me off these days (who just dumps their rubbish on the floor FFS? Would you do that at home!?)

I tend to only go when its something that really suits the big screen, last one was Prometheus in 3d. Obviously that doesn't include the pixar films I have to take my daughter to under the 'Dad contract'!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    The cost of cineams and the chavvy nature of the audience puts me off these days (who just dumps their rubbish on the floor FFS? Would you do that at home!?)

I tend to only go when its something that really suits the big screen, last one was Prometheus in 3d. Obviously that doesn't include the pixar films I have to take my daughter to under the 'Dad contract'!
    But rubbish has always been dropped on the floor, ever since I can remember, and the cinema I used to go to as a child was in Gerrard's Cross in Bucks, which is definitely NOT chavvy!
    I am sure that a huge TV is good but it will NEVER show an "epic" film as well as the big screen. I never feel part of a film if I watch it on TV.
    I restrict it though to films I really want to see. I can't cope with cinema 3D - it makes me feel really odd

Thank Post
    Yeah I save 3d for very rare occasions as I find it distracting on most films.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast