+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Dress Code in General; I wear slippers & a smoking jacket for work & a dress at home...

Thank Post
    I wear slippers & a smoking jacket for work & a dress at home

2. 2 Thanks to chippo:

nephilim (27th February 2009), tech_guy (27th February 2009)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeow why have I been given negative rep for recommending Dr Marten steel toe-capped shoes?!

Thank Post

Case in point

Walked through the reception door this morning.
    Not a hello or anything, just can you go to PE straight away their projector has packed up they are desperate for it, they think itís the lamp.
    So first thing Iím up a ladder getting covered in s^%t changing a lamp. Get down form the ladder, while youíre here these 3 computers will not log on to network. Under the desk I go, all the cables had been messed up by students.
    That sorted, I thought I would grad a coffee. I had still not been back to my office, still was carrying my laptop. Part way through making coffee, Oh Iím glad I saw you I was just trying to ring. Iím desperate to print something for my class this morning and my printer has packed up.
    Donít know what they have been up to with the printer but I get covered in toner, lovely.
    Get back to my office and while Iím typing this I get two phone calls desperate for help. One a PC not working the other call was to fix another printer.
    So the idea of getting changed every time something messy comes up would be a royal pain in the a%$e. I am filthy already, hands black. Would suit would be a mess and Iíd look scruffier than I do normally
    Donít think the school would pay the constant dry cleaning bills!!!!!

Thank Post
    i enjoy going to work in a shirt and tie, then going the pub after and looking like a professional.

the only times i have been pulled about my attire was when i was on work experience here i wore suit trousers and a shirt (tucked in) but no tie. the next was one summer 1st thing i was the only one in and a switch had died, this controlled the admin office and was urgent. i was running rnd and had yet to put my tie on, the boss noticed and comented, think i muttered something really fast whilst running. think i appologised whilst having a pee later in the day. (even tho the head has his own loo he uses the staff one)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I've been in IT for decades and never had a PC dropped on my foot. Such expensive electronics should be handled with care.

You've obviously never been given a work-experience placementee with dyspraxia then....

Thank Post

Iím surprised

Iím surprised how many have said they are not required to wear steel toe caps. Isnít it part of Health and safety. Our school will pay for the steels.
    Iíve completing a manual handling course, and as yet have not dropped anything. But accidents will happen even though you take as much care as you can. Even though I think Iím safe, what about the unpredictable things we work with (students that is). Carrying a PC, and little Jonnie comes round the corner and knocks into me bang goes the computer and possibly my foot. I just know that if I ever need to put in a claim for industrial injury, they WILL say why went you wearing projective footwear.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ozydave View Post
    If anyone knows of some good steel capped foot ware please let me know
    I get mine from Aldi. They do them 2/3 times a year. Prices are going up - they used to be around £10, but now around £20. I find that if worn under the trouser leg they look smart enough to pass for "proper" shoes. The only drawback if that with the amount of kneeling/crouching I have to do, the soles (synthetic) tend to crack.

Thank Post
    No one has ever mentioned a dress code to me, or wearing steel toe caps. I usually wear fairly smart back trousers, although they're fairly baggy to let me carry various keys around with me. Then usually just a smart jumper. I'd probably have to bring 2 pairs of shoes if i had to wear steel toe caps as I don't think I'd be able to drive in them

Thank Post
    I used to wear shirt and tie until I got my tie stuck in a printer after changing the imaging drum. The Head would still prefer me to wear I tie so i do still put one on when I do the odd bit of teaching. He moans about my trainers as well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Iím surprised how many have said they are not required to wear steel toe caps. Isnít it part of Health and safety. Our school will pay for the steels.
    Iíve completing a manual handling course, and as yet have not dropped anything. But accidents will happen even though you take as much care as you can.
    Accidents will happen and this is why someone should do a risk assessment about the likelihood of it happening and the harm it would cause if it did happen.

Dropping something heavy on your toe could cause serious damage but my assessment is that it's unlikely (in nearly 30 years in IT I've never seen it happen). Obviously, other establishments may be more hazardous. I'd guess I'm just glad I don't work there :-)

Thank Post
    Iíve completing a manual handling course, and as yet have not dropped anything. But accidents will happen even though you take as much care as you can. Even though I think Iím safe, what about the unpredictable things we work with (students that is). Carrying a PC, and little Jonnie comes round the corner and knocks into me bang goes the computer and possibly my foot. I just know that if I ever need to put in a claim for industrial injury, they WILL say why went you wearing projective footwear.
    But by that reckoning everyone in school would have to wear them. Teacher carrying huge box of textbooks etc.

Thank Post
    i have my steelys on now, they are my old ones from back int' day at iceland, had them about 4 years now. apart from scratches on the toe they are in perfect order.

tbh they dont look smart, i have a brown suit on atm which looks gr8 but scruffy black steel toes.

i normally go thru proper shoes in a few months my current ones have a 45 degree heel atm,

Thank Post
    Black trainers, combats, plan polo neck t-shirt (variety of colours), jumper/hoodie.

although I did start off here in a suit, i soon realised that I got very dirty, very quickly.

Never been pulled up on what i wear . . you should see the state of some of the teachers.

Thank Post
    We're a laid back school here, I've got an 80's party to go to tonight and the shell suit I purchased off e.bay came this morning so as I'm still pissed from the white russians I had last night I've descided to wear it for the crack. I've had some people pissing themselves already . at the end of the day it gets dark and nobody can see what your wearing anyway. Just remember beauty is just just a light switch away etc.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by riskyburden View Post
    We're a laid back school here, I've got an 80's party to go to tonight and the shell suit I purchased off e.bay came this morning so as I'm still pissed from the white russians I had last night I've descided to wear it for the crack. I've had some people pissing themselves already . at the end of the day it gets dark and nobody can see what your wearing anyway. Just remember beauty is just just a light switch away etc.....
    And you're supposed to be my boss :O
    I thought you were my mum sitting in the office when I glanced through the window as I walked passed with you wearing that blinding jacket

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast