+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Dress Code in General; ...
    Thank Post

Suits!!!!

Iím the network manager here. 8 Servers, 500 pcís and laptops
    There is one other tech that is on long term sick. When she is here she is useless, the school ahs tried a number of time to get rid of her.
    The upshot is I do everything. Install cables, crawling through lofts etc, Install projectors drill into reinforced ceilings, move pcs, monitors, printer, and maintain everything.
    I wear polo shirts, dark jeans (not blue) and boots. I would like to look smarter. The boss had said he would like me to wear suits.
    I said how long would a suit last drilling into ceilings. I would look worse than before. He said when I need to do something messy I could just get changed. I would spend all day swapping what I wear.
    Even if I did wear suits, how many suits look good with steel top capped shoes / boots and Health and safety require.
    If anyone knows of some good steel capped foot ware please let me know

Thank Post
    I have some 'Capps' that just like my normal smart shoes, but have steel toes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wear trousers and a smart top, have been known to wear jeans. But its useless me wearing any girly shoes so i wear flats, my converse boots, black DC's or my boots covered in stars! lol...no one has said anything yet!
    I refuse to wear anything expensive cus i only end up covered in dust/toner/general ickyness...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wear steel toe-capped black well-polished lace-up Dr Martens shoes that look smart and acceptable. It's just the rest of me that looks a mess.
    Last edited by tech_guy; 26th February 2009 at 10:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ozydave View Post
    Even if I did wear suits, how many suits look good with steel top capped shoes / boots and Health and safety require.
    If anyone knows of some good steel capped foot ware please let me know
    Any good?

Thank Post
    I'm old school, have worked in industry for a long time before joining the public sector, so like my shirt/tie & trousers - yep, they get messy quickly in our place, but that's why I buy white shirts at Tesco/Asda when they're 3 for a fiver...

BTW, it's my choice (within reason) of what I wear - I just think that looking professional is one step closer to being professional

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ozydave View Post
    I'm intrigued! What on earth are you doing that needs safety footwear? The only time I've ever put boots like that on at work was when I was going on to the new buildings and they were still live building sites! I can't imagine any normal IT work that needs gear like that :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I'm intrigued! What on earth are you doing that needs safety footwear? The only time I've ever put boots like that on at work was when I was going on to the new buildings and they were still live building sites! I can't imagine any normal IT work that needs gear like that :-)
    You've been lucky then and never had an idiot drop a PC on your foot - I have and thank God I was wearing my steel tcs at the time.

Thank Post

Don't try to claim

Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Hi
    When the time comes and something is dropped on your foot and puts you off work then they pull you for being sick you will have no come back. If its a worse injury they will say you should have been wearing safety shoes!

cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wear shirt, tie (colours of my choice) but all staff MUST wear smart black trousers. I also wear safety boots, simply because they are more comfortable than shoes to me!

When in work I try to wear loud clashing colours, tomorrow will be bright red with a bright green tie

My previous dress code when we had a different headteacher, was anything that was smart casual, so jeans with decent shoes and a nice tshirt/shirt was acceptable.

Thank Post
    During term time, relatively smart trousers shirt and tie. According to the staff handbook, we're supposed to "set an example". I then put a jacket on normally, but keep a zip-up fleece for days when I'm doing 'manual' work - shifting computers about, going up ladders, drilling etc.

In the holidays, anything goes!

Thank Post

Bit of a scruff I am

I did start at the school wearing smart trousers and shirt, never wore a tie though.
    This then slowly evolved to trousers and a fleece, jumper and smart black t-shirt which has slowly moved towards black t-shirt and black combats but with smart shoes.

On the whole I am a scruffy person anyway so it suits me better than a shirt and trousers, it also suits the work when scrabbling under desks, running cables etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I always wore smart trousers, shirt and tie during term time unless I was doing a lot of cabling etc. Holidays I wore comfortable clothes depending how much crawling round I was doing.

Never worn safety shoes whilst being a techie unless that was what was at hand in the morning or if on a building site. Never had a machine dropped on my feet. If I thought there was a risk of it then some manual handling training would be put in place.

I can't see that much of a reason to have to climb around cabling during term time (unless you are term time only) and toners / etc should not be leaking enough to get you dirty. If they are then clean the printers during the holidays as part of a maintenance schedule.

A handy thing to have is an old rug or blanket in case you do have to scramble under tables whilst wearing smartish clothes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    A handy thing to have is an old rug or blanket in case you do have to scramble under tables whilst wearing smartish clothes.
    The trouble with that (whilst an admirable idea) is that such things seem to be spur of the moment - at least here. Walking down a corridor and it's "My projector's not working! Can you help?" so you end up rummaging under the table (to retrieve the VGA cable which she dropped after using it in her laptop, no doubt ).

As for ID badges, we have simple plastic things with the school name and logo on and a wee paper insert which the office prepare for each new member of staff. Of course they can (and do!) end up with a variety of humorous inserts... new staff get introduced in morning briefing so people in theory know who they are - doesn't stop some though, some departments in our school are very isolated (if it happens outwith their wing/corridor, it's not worth knowing about).
    Last edited by grumpy_git; 27th February 2009 at 12:45 AM.

Thank Post
    Usually wear a gorilla suit during the week. During holidays i can wear what i like really.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast