+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Home Broadband Recommendations Please :) in General; Hey Guys With EE at the moment and have been for the past 4 years, they are getting really bad, ...

Thank Post

Home Broadband Recommendations Please :)

Hey Guys

With EE at the moment and have been for the past 4 years, they are getting really bad, we have our connection dropped at least once a day, speeds are all over the place sometimes hitting 31kbps other times a decent 4000kbps. They are just becoming a nightmare so as we can leave the soon which we will do we need a new company and I was wondering what you guys would recommend?

It needs to be decently priced but fast and have unlimited download allowance. Unfortunately fiber optic is not available where I live so just plain standard DSL please

Thankyou Guys!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm on BT Infinity 2 right now.

£43 per month. Includes line rental, weekend and evening calls, unlimited downloads at 80down/20+ up, free youview box, tv package with the extra channels (syfy, comedy etc) free BT sport.

service has been good and the speed is brilliant! And free champions league from next year

edit: didn't read your lack of fibre (eat more ruffage! :P )
    Last edited by ICTDirect_Dave; 2nd April 2014 at 04:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you though about a Three mobile One Plan? Seriously, a lot of people use this as a replacement for crummy DSL.
    If your DSL circuit is grim, changing operators might not help.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    If you can get Sky ( Sky Broadband & Talk - Broadband speeds to suit your needs, now with free Sky Broadband Shield ) or BeThere ( https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/homepage ) then I would suggest one of those - Currently with sky and support has been great and it has just worked since I have had it. On the odd occasion as with DSL Routers etc I have had to swap DSL Filters and reboot the router now and again when it starts to go slow but think that is normal.

I suppose it depends on what your nearest exchange has and or supports as far as what has been enabled etc.

I think SamKnows - Accurate broadband performance information for consumers, governments and ISPs is the website you can use to check your exchange to see which ISP's you can go with etc

EDIT - Forgot to mention with BeThere the support is foreign or was when I used to be with them a couple or so years ago however the connection I had always worked aside from once but called there support number and the auto answer machine just advised that they had changed there DNS Servers and then stated what the new ones were, went onto the router via the Web GUI and updated the new DNS server ip addresses and then it continued to work

When I was with BeThere they were pretty good as far as an ISP goes and being reliable with regards to the connection, if you wanted an ISP with tech support etc then Sky or someone else then.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 2nd April 2014 at 04:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Have you though about a Three mobile One Plan? Seriously, a lot of people use this as a replacement for crummy DSL.
    If your DSL circuit is grim, changing operators might not help.
    I do often use this when our connection drops and use Tethering, although I am having problems with tethering aswell and three haven't been much help regarding this. Plus the rest of my family use the internet so if I leave with my mobile phone they're buggered and can't get online

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am on Sky right now. Pay £45 a month for 20Mb broadband (always get above this though), every TV package except sports, and unlimited phone calls to landlines and 5 "magic" numbers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    If you can get Sky ( Sky Broadband & Talk - Broadband speeds to suit your needs, now with free Sky Broadband Shield ) or BeThere ( https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/homepage ) then I would suggest one of those - Currently with sky and support has been great and it has just worked since I have had it. On the odd occasion as with DSL Routers etc I have had to swap DSL Filters and reboot the router now and again when it starts to go slow but think that is normal.

I suppose it depends on what your nearest exchange has and or supports as far as what has been enabled etc.

I think SamKnows - Accurate broadband performance information for consumers, governments and ISPs is the website you can use to check your exchange to see which ISP's you can go with etc

Will look into the sam knows thing cheers buddy I have been put off by Sky as they have been really taking the mickey regarding my nan, she was browsing the internet on Facebook and things like that and told me her machine was slow so I said I'd sort it, found out when I got there it was her Sky Broadband that was running at 46kbps peak, it was ridiculous, same as my girlfriend she has had major problems with Sky Broadband they send a shiver up my spine!!!

Thank Post
    I use adsl24, happy with them. I get 17Mb on my adsl yay! £24 per month inc line rental I get 500GB a month onpeak and unlimited off peak (8 till 8). No port throttling, traffic shaping or monitoring / reporting of traffic to record labels or movie studios. (unlike bt, virgin,sky and Tiscali)

EDIT: also they have an option (if you submit a ticket) they'll turn off adsl line compression for gamers in order to get a better ping.

EDIT2: look like the deal for new users if not very good. Ignore my recc.
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 2nd April 2014 at 04:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Will look into the sam knows thing cheers buddy I have been put off by Sky as they have been really taking the mickey regarding my nan, she was browsing the internet on Facebook and things like that and told me her machine was slow so I said I'd sort it, found out when I got there it was her Sky Broadband that was running at 46kbps peak, it was ridiculous, same as my girlfriend she has had major problems with Sky Broadband they send a shiver up my spine!!!
    In that case i would see what is available and go from there - wonder if PlusNet or as mentioned above ADSL24 are available in your area

Thank Post
    Thankyou to Chazzy2501 for letting me know about adsl24 but to be honest I need unlimited all the time not just at peak times as I have a home server which downloads movies and TV Shows via RSS feeds all day and night so it will eat up the 50GB limit in month easily

I will have a look at PlusNet as I've heard good things about them! Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Zen through and through - brilliant server brilliant support and the support is the key thing!

12. Thanks to glennda from:

mac_shinobi (2nd April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Zen through and through - brilliant server brilliant support and the support is the key thing!
    @glennda - what is there website / url etc ?

Ta

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    @glennda - what is there website / url etc ?

Ta
    Award-winning Home & Business Broadband Provider, IP VPN & Leased Lines, Hosting & Domains | Zen Internet

It was also supposed to say service - they also provide home sip over the line and the line rental is 11.25pm (unless you got FTTC)

they are the best public ISP in the UK IMHO

15. Thanks to glennda from:

mac_shinobi (2nd April 2014)

Thank Post
    If all you want is a connection and you have your own kit etc, I would really strongly recommend XILO Communications Ltd. : Sales 0800 680 0005 • Support 0345 468 0005. I'm currently on their Extreme package, which comes to around £14/month inc VAT and gets you up to 16mb down/1mb up, 50:1 contention ratio and a static IP address. There are no download limits or traffic shaping, I think there's a FUP to stop people taking the mickey, but I use about 250-300gb of bandwidth per month and I've never been warned about unacceptable use.

For DSL only I think they're probably the best I've come across. Their fibre packages aren't that great, but for the DSL you're on a rolling 1-month contract iirc so you can cancel and switch to someone else if fibre comes to your area.

Edit: Also the one time I called their support, the guy quickly picked up that I knew what I was talking about and got my fault resolved quickly without any scripted faffing around like most ISP support lines seem to.
    Last edited by Sdrawkcab; 2nd April 2014 at 06:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    If all you want is a connection and you have your own kit etc, I would really strongly recommend XILO Communications Ltd. : Sales 0800 680 0005 • Support 0345 468 0005. I'm currently on their Extreme package, which comes to around £14/month inc VAT and gets you up to 16mb down/1mb up, 50:1 contention ratio and a static IP address. There are no download limits or traffic shaping, I think there's a FUP to stop people taking the mickey, but I use about 250-300gb of bandwidth per month and I've never been warned about unacceptable use.

For DSL only I think they're probably the best I've come across. Their fibre packages aren't that great, but for the DSL you're on a rolling 1-month contract iirc so you can cancel and switch to someone else if fibre comes to your area.

Edit: Also the one time I called their support, the guy quickly picked up that I knew what I was talking about and got my fault resolved quickly without any scripted faffing around like most ISP support lines seem to.
    I assume you need a BT landline in addition to ISP costs. I'm currently with Virgin and I'm paying £26.15pcm just for broadband; almost 50% more than the £18 I was paying less than 3 years ago! I was considering downgrading to copper cable through EE, which, with their current offer, would work out about £13pcm for the first year then up to £18 after that. Not so sure now, after what @abillybob has said. Blowed if I'm going to carry on paying £26 a month, though.

Edit: Sorry, I quoted the wrong person.
    Last edited by StevieM; 14th May 2014 at 02:19 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast