+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Home Broadband Recommendations Please :) in General; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieM View Post
    I assume you need a BT landline in addition to ISP costs. I'm currently with Virgin and I'm paying £26.15pcm just for broadband; almost 50% more than the £18 I was paying less than 3 years ago! I was considering downgrading to copper cable through EE, which, with their current offer, would work out about £13pcm for the first year then up to £18 after that. Not so sure now, after what @abillybob has said. Blowed if I'm going to carry on paying £26 a month, though.

Edit: Sorry, I quoted the wrong person.
    Hey EE have been nothing but problems and their customer service and internet connection is just damn right awful. We are having to fight them now as it's the end of the contract and we want to leave for PlusNet. Every time we have called they say we will pass you onto our manage so you can cancel the phone just hangs up EVERYTIME this must be at least our 20th try today!
    I would not recommend them to my worst enemy they are damn right awful, I'd urge you to look into PlusNet they have been absolutely brilliant through all of this and they are actually cheaper than EE!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I'd urge you to look into PlusNet they have been absolutely brilliant through all of this and they are actually cheaper than EE!
    I've had a look at PlusNet, but with line rental at £14.50 that works out at £18pm for the first year, then £23.50pm after that - almost as much as Virgin fibre broadband!

Thank Post
    I've had a look at PlusNet, but with line rental at £14.50 that works out at £18pm for the first year, then £23.50pm after that - almost as much as Virgin fibre broadband!
    It worked out cheaper for us maybe it's more expensive depending on areas? It's up to you I wouldn't touch Orange with a barge-pole if I were you! That IMO though

4. Thanks to abillybob from:

StevieM (14th May 2014)

Thank Post
    I'm with TalkTalk:

'Plus' package (anytime calls, internet, etc)
    Fibre Medium (40mb)
    YouView TV

£15.50 a month (excluding line rental, we pay a year in advance, saves about £58 a year)

Sent from my iPhone using EduGeek

Thank Post
    Thanks for the heads-up, @abillybob. Maybe I'm just being stingy, but I begrudge paying so much just for a connection to the Internet, and I have no need of a TV or landline telephone service.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the heads-up, @abillybob. Maybe I'm just being stingy, but I begrudge paying so much just for a connection to the Internet, and I have no need of a TV or landline telephone service.
    No worries I suppose at the end of the day you pay for what you get! I'd say if Virgin are ok and are working well then I'd stick with them a few quid more a month can't hurt can it?

Thank Post
    4 years with Virgin and finally Got rid of them for the Poor slow connection after upgrading to 30MB from 10MB. All sort of thing went wrong. Their Traffic Shaping is awful.
    Now with Sky not had a problem since September 2012. Average 11-15 Mpbs Sharing 3 neighbours in our flat. pay £20.50 ( Including Line Rental) for Unlimited Broadband and Weekend Calls.
    Last edited by lionsl2005; 14th May 2014 at 02:50 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm on plusnet unlimited £2.50 per month. Happy days.

Thank Post
    Currently at my Dad's I have PlusNet, at mine I have Virgin purely for the speeds. I cannot fault PlusNet one bit, been with them over 10 years since the days of dial up, UK based support in Sheffield with a local rate number, the few issues I've had I cannot fault and have always been compensated for any downtime I've had. Currently refering a few friends so have over £3 a month off my bill, paying a bit due to been BT Market 3 but fair price for what I am getting, good solid service.

Thank Post
    If you can pay upfront for line rental it's £10.99.

12. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

StevieM (14th May 2014)

Thank Post
    It could be your connection that's crappy rather than just the ISP. Can you get your line stats out of your router at all? Really need to see downstream line attenuation and SNR margin then can have a look at what can be done.

IF you have a ropey line and most ISPs dont want to know these guys are well worth considering, not the cheapest but the support is second to none they will literally hound BT until issues get fixed.

AAISP - Home

I've gone back to BT now to save money but they are the best ISP i've ever dealt with, their MD even blogged about my issues some years ago when my throughput was woeful turns out they had 400 homes on a 10Mbps VP and according to BT there was NO contention on their network :O eventually they issued 6 month lead time as ALL the VPs in the exchange were running hot and they needed to install and additional DSLAM (what a waste of money with WBC/21cn/FTTC around the corner) in the end they got it cut to a few weeks as it was unusable most of the time even for simple browsing.

I've since come to the conclusion that BTW have NO network monitoring equipment in place and are relying on ISPs to fault find and prove the contention is inside the BT network, it's an utter farce
    Last edited by Bananas; 14th May 2014 at 04:28 PM.

Thank Post
    BT are shocking to the point where they disconnected my line when moving it over to 21CN. PlusNet are really helpful and can test lines etc with them been part of BT but at a distance. Although I am quite clued up on our local exchange and common faults on it I can often tell PlusNet what is needed now when I have minor faults, generally its down to BT. Even get to know BT engineers now, got 2 broadband ones based around here which come out.

Ant

Thank Post
    Have to echo what @glennda said earlier on. Although more expensive than the competition, I can thoroughly recommend Zen.

I've been with them for a number of years now and their customer service, reliability and performance have been second to none.

I now use them for phone as well as Internet. I'm still on ADSL, but as the performance has been consistently good, I haven't felt the need to move over to their Fibre package yet.

Edited to add: We have had a few faults on the BT line in the past and Zen were very quick and efficient at getting BT to fix it. No trying to get hold of anyone at BT. An example; reported an issue to Zen on a Friday afternoon and by Saturday morning a BT van was outside with an engineer sorting it out. Don't think I'd get that service even if I was a BT customer.
    Last edited by Ant; 14th May 2014 at 05:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Update: Been on to Virgin this evening and told them I was paying too much for broadband. First, they offered me a 50Mbs connection for £24.50 (I'm currently on 30Mbps for £26.15), but I stuck to my guns. I was then put through to customer relations who offered me £19 for my current speed. That'll do for me!!

One thing Virgin does have in its favour is customer service. I always find them very friendly and down-to-earth. I ended up chatting with the girl for about 20 minutes about how much we both hate British Gas!

I know this is no help to you @abillybob, but it may be useful for others browsing the thread.

Thank Post
    Update: Been on to Virgin this evening and told them I was paying too much for broadband. First, they offered me a 50Mbs connection for £24.50 (I'm currently on 30Mbps for £26.15), but I stuck to my guns. I was then put through to customer relations who offered me £19 for my current speed. That'll do for me!!

One thing Virgin does have in its favour is customer service. I always find them very friendly and down-to-earth. I ended up chatting with the girl for about 20 minutes about how much we both hate British Gas!

I know this is no help to you @abillybob, but it may be useful for others browsing the thread.
    Well at least you got a better outcome from virgin, they do sound good to me but they are one of the most expensive, plus I don't have fibre where I am if I did Virgin would definetley be top of my list anyway!

Cheers @StevieM

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast