+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Interactive Whiteboards v Something else in General; Hello peeps, My IWB has broken today - it's 9/10 years old and one of the first in the school. ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Interactive Whiteboards v Something else

Hello peeps,

My IWB has broken today - it's 9/10 years old and one of the first in the school. It was a serial board but despite trying it and ordering a new cable it isn't working at all. Gutted.

So down it has come revealing a blank wall.

So - what are people using these days? Several schools have said that IWB are old now and we need to look at large touchscreen tvs that can show apple tv etc etc

Any ideas

Gareth

Thank Post
    the Epson interactive projectors are good. eb-475wi about £1000 ex VAT. 2 pens 800p image around 88" image.

Thank Post
    We have the Epson interactive projectors - they seem very nice.

Thank Post
    We are looking at the new Epson EB-595Wi as an alternative to our aging smartboards.

Thank Post
    We've been looking at touch screens. So far we've seen geenie, clevertouch, c-touch, infocus jtouch/bigtouch, iboardtouch and probably a few others.

At the moment the bigtouch is looking good for us, the software is alright, not brilliant but you can do most things in powerpoint/word etc that you'd normally do in SMART Notebook and it does come with its own software although not as feature filled as i've said. The big seller is the price, i've had a quote that's roughly £600-800 quid cheaper than the next priced board which, on several screens, is a heck of a saving which can be put into other hardware.

The c-touch is a nice screen, the tools are pretty standard as they seem to rely on people having office rather than building their own tools which is fair enough and they also have a collaborative bit of software that works via web page so no installation of apps on ipads/ tablets etc.

Geenie probably has the most feature filled software but it's at a cost of having to license it rather than it being bought outright.

All of the screens in my opinion are pretty much the same it's the software you have to look at. See below for trial versions of software for different boards. I've just been playing on one of our touch screen monitors with the software to get a feel for it and which i prefer.

iboardtouch - Downloads - iBoardTouch
    Infocus Bigtouch - InFocus BigNote Trial Download | InFocus
    CleverTouch - Download Trial | CleverLynx
    C-Touch - downloads
    Genee - Interactive Whiteboards, Visualisers, LED Touch Screens in UK, Audience Response Systems, ICT Equipment Manufacturer and Supplier - not sure if they have a demo but that's their site
    Last edited by Pyroman; 2nd April 2014 at 04:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Had this conversation with a teacher today. Was full of hope in getting a super duper flat screen and was mortified when I said he would then have to pay for a licence for the smart notebook etc.

Thank Post
    If you like Promethean and their ActivInspire, I've heard they now do a touch screen. Haven't seen one up close though.

Thank Post
    Our most recent IWB, or interactive projectors, are from Dell. The pens allow for mouse movement away from the board (kind of like using a laser pointer) and charge through USB.
    The Epson ones are good too.

Thank Post
    Had a demo of the Promeathean Panel yesterday. It looked good, but didn't really have a play as due to a technical issue - the guy couldn't get it to work. Was possibly expensive the models quoted above - I think he quoted RRP just under £3k

Thank Post
    Price i got quoted for the 55" Infocus Bignote was £1200, @ around £800 saving per screen compared to competition you can't go wrong really

11. Thanks to Pyroman from:

dhicks (10th July 2014)

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    the Epson interactive projectors are good. eb-475wi about £1000 ex VAT. 2 pens 800p image around 88" image.
    Do you find they have any 'black spots' ie, areas where the touch does not work? Just wondering as there must be a point where the hand is in front of the projected image.

Thank Post
    no, no black sports but it is possible to position yourself in between the projector and pen.

it has a camera and needs to see the pen.

edit: rereading the post: people hold the pen like a brush rather than a pen so no, you don't get in the way.
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 4th July 2014 at 01:46 PM.

15. Thanks to chazzy2501 from:

Danp (4th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    My IWB has broken today - it's 9/10 years old and one of the first in the school. It was a serial board but despite trying it and ordering a new cable it isn't working at all. Gutted.
    An old Smartboard? There's a tiny thermal fuse on the circuit board that fails. If you slide the board out of the board (!) then there's a chance a decent electronics whizz will be able to sort it for you.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    Price i got quoted for the 55" Infocus Bignote was £1200, @ around £800 saving per screen compared to competition you can't go wrong really
    @Pyroman - where did you get that price - is that including Smart Notebook and VAT? I can find the 55" version including Smart Notebook on AVPartsMaster for £2,000 with VAT, which isn't bad at all, but it's always worth seeing if I can get it cheaper somewhere else :-) Did you buy these in the end, are they working well? We have some older Infocus projectors around - they were cheaper devices in the first place, and are now very old and need replacing, but they've lasted well and given us very good value for money, so an Infocus touchscreen sounds like it might be a bargain.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast