+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Virgin Media - What are you paying? in General; wish I could do this, have threatened to leave KC before but then it dawns on you, if you leave ...
    Thank Post
    wish I could do this, have threatened to leave KC before but then it dawns on you, if you leave you have nothing!! No Sky, No Virgin, No BT - not a dicky bird!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    Seriously guys, if you are out of contract, call up and threaten to leave. You are under no obligation to leave and you have to give 30 days notice. You can call up all the way to day 29 and withdraw your notice to cancel. But you're pretty much guaranteed to get a phone call from Virgin Media offering you a MUCH better deal. And even then, make sure you haggle!

For those who don't get Virgin Media where they live, do the same with Sky or BT. Tell them you are moving to Virgin (or any other competitor!) they won't know you can't get it and they will offer you a decent package to stay. The main rule is NEVER accept their first offer, fight and fight HARD!

Check here for more details: Haggle with Sky, AA, Virgin: Top firms to haggle with - Money Saving Expert

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    wish I could do this, have threatened to leave KC before but then it dawns on you, if you leave you have nothing!! No Sky, No Virgin, No BT - not a dicky bird!
    Yeah, but do they know that you don't have any other option?

Thank Post
    I checked out what you were saying as at first I didn't believe it -

KCOM Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow, how is that not a monopoly??

Thank Post
    Well it is a Monopoly

Thank Post
    Yes they are the only provider in the city of Hull. We have no other suppliers as KC have the monopoly, although I Say that the company I work for has put its own network in the ground, and we supply business customers - and we dont touch KC's network and have got our own feeds from another supplier.. We've taken some big customers on board so now Businesses in the area have a choice aslong as they are not far off our network.

Last edited by cpjitservices; 2nd April 2014 at 03:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The retentions team know all the deals available. They know what's available in your area. They knew I couldn't get BT Fibre, even though BT's website says it's in my area.

Don't BS them, they will know. Have a plan that's feasible and you will get a result. Explain your plan, they will rubbish it, they're trained to do that. I cancelled, I was prepared to go through with my plan, but they called me back 4 days later with an acceptable offer.

Be aware that if you're after broadband-only, this is a much tougher deal as they want to bundle their phone line. Broadband is the only real commodity of value these days.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 2nd April 2014 at 03:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Seriously guys, if you are out of contract, call up and threaten to leave. You are under no obligation to leave and you have to give 30 days notice. You can call up all the way to day 29 and withdraw your notice to cancel. But you're pretty much guaranteed to get a phone call from Virgin Media offering you a MUCH better deal. And even then, make sure you haggle!
    I just phoned to cancel and got put straight through to the retentions team... told them I was annoyed that my package was so much cheaper to new users and that I wanted to leave because of this. They came back with an offer straight away of 100Mb + Phone for £26 a month.... only downside is I had to sign for another 12 months.

Thank Post
    £60-odd for XL TV package with Sky Sports. I can't get broadband with them anymore since I moved. I don't know why not. Neither do they. The signal comes down the same cable but they don't provide BB to my postcode.

If they did, I'd happily pay £100 for BB, TV and phone. I was with them for about 14 years, from 512K (Wow! I can download this 90 meg game demo in the time it takes me to eat my dinner, slowly) cable modem days, never had any problems at all. Ever.

Now I'm with BT on one of their fibre packages. I log on to 'My BT' and it tells me I've bought a 56d/25u meg package, but speed tests consistently show I'm only getting 35meg down, on a good day, downhill, with a following wind.

9. Thanks to Earthling from:

TomCollins (2nd April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
    I just phoned to cancel and got put straight through to the retentions team... told them I was annoyed that my package was so much cheaper to new users and that I wanted to leave because of this. They came back with an offer straight away of 100Mb + Phone for £26 a month.... only downside is I had to sign for another 12 months.
    You should have given your 30 day notice, they would have come back with a better offer!

Thank Post
    You should have given your 30 day notice, they would have come back with a better offer!
    Maybe.... I'm happy with £26 a month from £42 + the speed boost.

Thank Post

For those who don't get Virgin Media where they live, do the same with Sky or BT. Tell them you are moving to Virgin (or any other competitor!) they won't know you can't get it and they will offer you a decent package to stay. The main rule is NEVER accept their first offer, fight and fight HARD!

Check here for more details: Haggle with Sky, AA, Virgin: Top firms to haggle with - Money Saving Expert
    Good in theory, in practice it can be different. As I said last year I tried this, and Virgin basically said they are loosing customers to Sky due to the offers running and they have no retention offers to come close to Sky's new customer deals. Basically I was told to leave!

Thank Post
    It's all down to competition in your area, there will be a retention policy but the details will be specific for your street.

If like me you live in a Cable and Infinity wired street the odds are in your favour.

I got a 100mb broadband upgrade for just £17.50pm down from £26 for 30mb, I run my landlines over SIP on the VM cable for no additional line rental.

I just rang VM and told them I was off to BT infinity after 5 years they rolled over and did a deal with no argument.

VM/BT know where they have the upper hand and will alway leverage the advantage.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12