+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Air Pollution Warning in General; If you are healthy you are fine, if you have lung or heart problems then caution is suggested. If you ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Air Pollution Warning

If you are healthy you are fine, if you have lung or heart problems then caution is suggested. If you own a car....AAAARGH!

BBC News - Air pollution: High levels 'to spread across England'

Good excuse not to bother cleaning it I guess...

Thank Post
    BBC panic stations as usual....

Thank Post
    My car was caked in that dust on Saturday/Sunday here, still haven't cleaned it yet

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    BBC panic stations as usual....
    I'm sorry, what is your point? This extra pollution causes major issues for those of us with lung conditions! Publishing a warning regarding a public health issue is nothing weird.

5. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

ButterflyMoon (2nd April 2014), creese (2nd April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    If you own a car....AAAARGH!
    If you are selling a car... I've washed it 3 times since Saturday. That makes about 5 times since I bought it!

Thank Post
    Yes, because the most tiresome thing about a car is having to keep it clean.

Let's all ignore the pollution made by all those < 3 mile journeys in urban areas though. It's all those OTHER drivers that are the problem.

Thank Post
    I don't understand how people rack up so many miles on their cars, I drive 40 miles a day along an A road and I put exactly Ł45 per month of fuel in. My mum puts Ł35 per week in! I think it very much depends on your driving style and what size engine you have, I have a 1.4 Civic and it's great if you look at my computer it says I average 54MPG. Be careful of what electronic devices you have on, Lights, Stereo. Keep your car clean as a dirty car isn't as Aerodynamic! Maintain your car every 12 months give it a full service and drive carefully and don't have your foot hard on acceleration and you'll be fine. I also try to keep my revs down before changing gear, I will change gears at 2500RPM Maximum before going into a higher gear and I try not to half to a stop either as pulling off in second doing 4MPH is better than stopping and pulling off in first

Also get your petrol in the morning around 7ish rather than later on in the day and when pumping petrol don't keep squeezing the trigger you get more out of the pump if you hold the pump half way in constant so try not to move your hand you get more bang for your buck! I proved this with a petrol can when my uncle tried to say that it wasn't true I got around 3 Litres more doing it that method, remember the sale aren't accurate on Petrol pumps and don't count how many liters is leaving it estimates this on how hard you pull the pump

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 886 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I don't understand how people rack up so many miles on their cars
    My dad has to drive to two different offices he manages, sometimes he has to drive to sites.

Some weeks he can be driving about 100 miles in the week and some up to 300 miles or more

I work at three schools, luckily two are within 5 minutes walking of each other, the third is about 10 miles away.

I also do various home visits for computer repair so some weeks my mileage is higher than others.

Plus factoring in I have family in Caerphilly, Preston, Oldham and dotted about in Scotland, so with regular trips to see them that also puts miles up.
    Last edited by hardtailstar; 2nd April 2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling fail

Thank Post
    remember the sale aren't accurate on Petrol pumps and don't count how many liters is leaving it estimates this on how hard you pull the pump
    The rest of your post... maybe. But that is twaddle. The pumps are carefully calibrated, and tested by your LAs "Trading Standards" dept.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    The rest of your post... maybe. But that is twaddle. The pumps are carefully calibrated, and tested by your LAs "Trading Standards" dept.
    Very true. I used to work for a petrol station and it was regularly checked by our local trading standards body.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Well it has always worked for me, I get more petrol when I do it this way. It has also been proven that in the morning when the liquid is cold and hasn't been used the liquid is much more dense meaning the pumps deliver a bigger quantity of fuel into your tank this is called physics, nothing can be measured 100% on petrol pumps and the trading standards couldn't measure this as the density in petrol changes throughout the day.

Not saying it's not true only that they may have some guidelines the pumps have to fit in between but they can't measure it 100%!

And may I add the fact that once you stop pumping petrol the excess bit comes out into your tank which isn't accounted for on the pump itself measuring that bit of petrols price so it can't be 100% accurate ever.
    Last edited by abillybob; 2nd April 2014 at 12:01 PM.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 886 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ... remember the sale aren't accurate on Petrol pumps and don't count how many liters is leaving it estimates this on how hard you pull the pump
    You're a day late with this one: 1st of April was yesterday.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    You're a day late with this one: 1st of April was yesterday.

Here's a link have a look at number 4, it's to do with the vapours this is backed up by a lot of other posts on the internet but heres one.... It's not April fools so why would you think I was trying to troll you Tips on Pumping Gas - Urban Legends

Thank Post
    Here's a link have a look at number 4, it's to do with the vapours this is backed up by a lot of other posts on the internet but heres one.... It's not April fools so why would you think I was trying to troll you Tips on Pumping Gas - Urban Legends
    Scroll down a bit and find....

4. Pump gas at the low-speed rather than the high-speed setting because the latter causes more agitation, thus more evaporation?

It does seem logical to assume that the higher the speed of the pump the more it may agitate the fuel, causing more evaporation. But consider this: the longer it takes to pump the fuel the more evaporation can occur too, so any benefits to pumping at the slower speed are probably negated.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast