+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Baby monitor killed my WIFI in General; Well the title says it all, my WIFI has been awful for a week now and it dawned on me ...
    Thank Post

Baby monitor killed my WIFI

Well the title says it all, my WIFI has been awful for a week now and it dawned on me today that it could my video baby monitor. Turned it off and bingo full tilt wifi again DOH!
    Silly me I just assumed that manufacturers would realise that pretty much all households have wifi these days and wouldn't put them in the same band.

Anyone got a wifi compatible video baby monitor they can recommend or a solution to this issue?

Cheers.

Edit hmmm it seems my rubbish single band 2.4ghz Sky router isn't helping. I wonder if a router that supports 5Ghz would solve the issue.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 2nd April 2014 at 04:06 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Well the title says it all, my WIFI has been awful for a week now and it dawned on me today that it could my video baby monitor. Turned it off and bingo full tilt wifi again DOH!
    Silly me I just assumed that manufacturers would realise that pretty much all households have wifi these days and wouldn't put them in the same band.

Anyone got a wifi compatible video baby monitor they can recommend or a solution to this issue?

Cheers.

Edit hmmm it seems my rubbish single band 2.4ghz Sky router isn't helping. I wonder if a router that supports 5Ghz would solve the issue.
    Back in the olden days before wifi we used a simple audio baby monitor. It's much cheaper probably. Do you need the video one? Does a monitor exist that uses wifi rather than confuse it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A WIFI monitor might be better anyway. When i was a kid i could pickup loads of baby monitors with my walkie talkies. It was great fun, i could hear mum and dad arguing infront of the monitor!

Thank Post
    I used to have a 2.4GHz video sender that caused the same issue - and the picture on the second telly had annoying lines on it too. A purchase I look back at now as a bad one.

Thank Post
    we had one bought for us the Wife and I, but didn't bother with it in the end because of this, the other one we have and bought ourselves first is without video and just a mic and sensor mat has worked well throughout our boys first year.

Thank Post
    We have a audio baby monitor (we no longer use it all the time) and we use this wireless webcam instead to provide any video. Actually the one we use also has sound included so we tend to just use the webcam these days. You can monitor (and move it) it from a webpage.

Thank Post
    have you tried shifting the channel on your wifi. I doubt the analogue baby monitor is using the whole 2.4Ghz. I have a birdbox here that does this. Turn off channel bonding (40Mhz) and try the old 1,6,11, (and 13 as we have it)

my birdbox

Baby monitor killed my WIFI-birdbox-1405.png
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 2nd April 2014 at 09:22 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sound baby monitor here. Dont see the need for a monitor on it, as if you want to check on the child, get up and look (at least thats my opinion on the matter). As for your router, phone sky and tell them that the router is developing a wifi issue and you can't get it in your house in some spots. Explain you are an IT technician/manager etc and they tend to just say "ok, we will send out a new one for you"...on doing so, you will get a 5GHz one. Then you can sit back, light your pipe and admire your handiwork!

9. Thanks to nephilim from:

cookie_monster (2nd April 2014)

Thank Post
    Also, you can turn any old android phone into a baby monitor for cheap. (you can get a 2nd hand android phone for 20!) then turn it into a usb powered wifi monitor.

Thank Post
    Hi all thanks for the replies. I'll answer a few questions.
    1. We dont necessary need a video one but it was on offer and the wife likes it.
    2. I've moved the router chanel and it didn't make much difference.
    3. I might give Sky a ring and see if I can convince them to send me a 5Ghz router, good idea :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    Also, you can turn any old android phone into a baby monitor for cheap. (you can get a 2nd hand android phone for 20!) then turn it into a usb powered wifi monitor.
    I'm not sure I'm bothered enough about the video to bother with the faff thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Sound baby monitor here. Dont see the need for a monitor on it, as if you want to check on the child, get up and look (at least thats my opinion on the matter). <snip>
    Our house isn't big enough to make an excuse why we couldn't walk upstairs and check on our child but, we did have a phase where she wasn't settling very well and it if we were to open the room and let some light in so we could see what she was up to it tended to wake her up. The webcam I linked can be used in the dark so we could see what was going on without waking her....or in some cases she she just needed her dummy and could pop it back in before she woke up and started crying!!

Thank Post
    Thinking about it I'm not sure that my laptop will support 5Ghz so I might go back to plan A and get an alternative baby monitor.

Thank Post
    I have a new Sky router - don't know which kind, but the 'deluxe' - they sent two by accident. Do you want that?

16. Thanks to Novalee from:

cookie_monster (2nd April 2014)

Thank Post
    Why not get this. Shinntto(TM) 11 Led P/T 3G WiFi WPA2 Wireless IP Dual Audio Camera (Home Security; Baby monitoring; Pet Monitoring; Angle Control; Motion Detection; Mobile phone viewing; Iphone app; UK adapter): Amazon.co.uk: Baby

you can then log into the camera from any browser or use an app on your phone. You can monitor your house when on holiday and even pan and tilt the cameras, and its cheap.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast