+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Job Evaluation... again in General; Originally Posted by E_S_P Currently I am not quite mid way in my grade and I am on just over ...

Thank Post

Re: Job Evaluation... again

Quote Originally Posted by E_S_P
    Currently I am not quite mid way in my grade and I am on just over 25k - I think it tops out around 32k ish??
    Nothing wrong with being paid a decent salary! 25 - 32K is what I personally think the NM post should be in most secondary school or where you have multiple primaries to care for. If you were in my council you're grade would now be capped at £24 and you'd be frozen for 4 years before dropping to the top of that scale. Previously my scale was similar to yours with me able to advance a few more points before hitting the roof.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Our place is slightly different (due to the conditions I was told) but essentially the same.
    Two posts here, Senior tech and tech (me). They refuse to class anyone as NM.
    Senior tech was on about 24 but that was because he does a bit of teaching too. He's now dropped to 4 days a week and lost about 5k. I'm on 19k as a tech, but that was only because it was offered last gasp to keep me here after I'd been offered another job. Won't get another rise now.

As for the conditions (in case anyone asks), we were told that all pay in this school is slightly higher than average as its one of the bottom schools in the country and in such a deprived area that they needed to offer more money to entice people here.

Thank Post

“Fingers crossed you will go up - it will be back dated to April 2005 if you do, which will give you a nice few quid to spend.”
    We where told backdated to 2002 and that it would take 12 to 14 months for the change's to take place.

Thank Post

Now there is the thing...some schools refusing to acknowledge that they have NMs!!! Job Evaluation should have resolved this issue, as that is how schools have been gettting away with paying such poor wages. You can compare Techs and keep wages low, the only problem being is schools which only have 1 tech, meaning you are effectively the NM in everything but name and pay.

I am waiting for my JE results...Tech on 15k.

And I was told it would be backdated to april this year, only women could get it backdated longer if they could proove a man was doing the same job for more money. Something to do with equal pay etc...to be honest I keep geting told so many different things I'm not sure what is supposed to be happening :?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Callen:
    Basically we started with 4 techs, then dropped to 2 when 2 resigned.
    They then decided to employ a 'manager of technicians' which was then re-labelled as senior tech.
    Now there's just me (labelled as tech) and my boss (senior tech). Despite the fact that apart from teaching there are no job differences between us, and that we both do everything NMs would do.
    I once asked if we could at least be classified as network technician or hardware technician, but told no as it would cause problems with pay and job descriptions.
    I don't mind, not having the job title as much, because I know personally I have the skills to do the job anyway. But it does make me sick to see so many jobs (and so many posts here) of techs in schools (and even now uni's) starting people off on about 12k. For the environments we work in, having two user bases (kids and staff) and the skill set we must have and learn, it's pitiful.

Ah well, BSF will soon change all of that...........

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm the NM for our school on roughly £18k full time. I should be moving grades once I finish my MCSA which will mean I can work my way up to the top of that grade (which is about £22k). To go any higher, I think it would mean I would have to have a technician and have more responsibility.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmad
    If you were in my council you're grade would now be capped at £24 and you'd be frozen for 4 years before dropping to the top of that scale. Previously my scale was similar to yours with me able to advance a few more points before hitting the roof.
    8O

Anyone know how far down Lancashire CC are on this road to nowhere ?

Thank Post

Network Manager here, £18.5k. They are just about to get a new tech for me to manage, so that will be 2 under my control, I want to get onto the SO1 grade.

Time to start negotiating I think....

Thank Post

I went to SO1 this year. Were advertising for a technician straight after christmas. Their wage will be circa 15k but their responsibilities will be minimal eg printers and workstations.

Thank Post

Grr... think i need to have a word then as im down atleast £4k on the average going by this thread.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky
    Cheers for the input everyone.
    Its just bizarre that one school/council can pay nearly double that of another for exactly the same job.
    Yes but for me that's the whole issue with single status - I think schools should be able to set pay independant of other schools. We are in an area with 3 schools all of comparable size, I know all the other IT Managers and I know my job is very different from theirs. My head has set my rate quite high and why should he not be allowed to do that? All IT Managers/NM/Technicains have differing responsibilites so how can single status work?

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky
    Just got my grade and im not best pleased. Grade D for a technician which is just under £14.5k pa.

Dunno what to do
    Join bloody UNISON and complain to the local office. If EVERYONE did this, then the employers would HAVE to stand up and take notice.

These 'employers' seem to forget how skilled some of us techs are - much of what we do is self taught, as there is no way to learn some of the stuff we deal with (Google is our friend!)

I've just joined UNISON, and will be making an official complaint into them if (and when) my JE comes up and I end up with a shit result.

Thank Post

Not being funny but unison have already agreed to these job evaluations....

Butuz

Thank Post

@Butuz, but surely if you're not happy with your regrade you can still discuss it with them and they can take up the fight on your behalf.

Thank Post

I think the point is that there isn't a fight to be had. The scales have been agreed. You are getting matched to a job scale so the only fight you can have is if you have been matched to the wrong job(or there is a closer match than the one that has been used) If it is decided that you have been matched to the correct scale, but that results in a reduction in your salary there is not a lot you can do.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast